Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
AuthorMessage
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Lillian, you mentioned the quality of Game of Thrones being spectacular....how so? Can you elaborate, or post a review?

Dormouse, I recommend Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for the very simple reason that the movie due for release in December will be amazing. Books are usually better than movies and I'm sure John Le Carre's is no exception. The complexity of the plot with the variety and depth of each character makes it a very worthwhile read.
Did you see the movie, Ben? It was released in the UK on September 16, I believe. I know because I've been stalking that movie like Edward Cullen stalked Bella. I swear I've watched the director while he slept Wink.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 10:39 am

No I've not seen Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy yet; But it does look good and anything with Gary Oldman in is sure to be a winner. Apparently there have been talks about him being nominated for an Oscar for his role, and about time too. It has been LONG overdue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Ben wrote:
No I've not seen Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy yet; But it does look good and anything with Gary Oldman in is sure to be a winner. Apparently there have been talks about him being nominated for an Oscar for his role, and about time too. It has been LONG overdue.

COMPLETELY AGREE. That cast is flawless.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 pm

I was going through my bookshelf today, arranging them in alphabetical order, and came across “The Big Sleep” which I purchased a few years back and have yet to read it. I am writing a crime novel at the moment, but now I am wondering: Is it even legal to write a crime story without having read a Philip Marlowe mystery? Whenever the genre is brought up, the works of Raymond Chandler are always mentioned, without fail. Lol

I want to get around to reading this as soon as possible. It has me interested.

Another name that comes up when discussing crime fiction is James Ellroy. I read about fifty pages of the Black Dahlia and I just wasn’t getting into it. I would like to finish it though, I hate having books left unread and maybe it gets better after a while.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Ben wrote:
I was going through my bookshelf today, arranging them in alphabetical order, and came across “The Big Sleep” which I purchased a few years back and have yet to read it. I am writing a crime novel at the moment, but now I am wondering: Is it even legal to write a crime story without having read a Philip Marlowe mystery?

Sure it is. Just like it's legal to write a fantasy story without having read Tolkien. Actually, without reading the acknowledged "masters" of the genre, you may be doing yourself a favor as a writer, because you won't subconsciously try to emulate their style. Your own style will come across that much easier.

I have started "The Trial" by Franz Kafka. It is interesting, but my, what long paragraphs you write, Mr. Kafka. You don't even break them apart for dialogue.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Paul wrote:
Ben wrote:
I was going through my bookshelf today, arranging them in alphabetical order, and came across “The Big Sleep” which I purchased a few years back and have yet to read it. I am writing a crime novel at the moment, but now I am wondering: Is it even legal to write a crime story without having read a Philip Marlowe mystery?

Sure it is. Just like it's legal to write a fantasy story without having read Tolkien. Actually, without reading the acknowledged "masters" of the genre, you may be doing yourself a favor as a writer, because you won't subconsciously try to emulate their style. Your own style will come across that much easier.

I have started "The Trial" by Franz Kafka. It is interesting, but my, what long paragraphs you write, Mr. Kafka. You don't even break them apart for dialogue.

That's very true, Paul. I do try not to read the genre which I am writing for that very reason; but this project is taking so long and I have that crime fiction itch again Smile

Thanks for the advice.

Good luck with Kafka. I'd love to know what you think. I have read a few of his short stories now. I really enjoy his style, as Laura has said in the past; he is incomparable to any of his peers. I have 'The Trial' on my kindle and I look forward to reading it, hopefully soon. Very Happy

snowman1 66 Days till Christmas, Apparently santa

Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 12:31 pm

I finished my psychology exams cheers . Now I get to study the subject at my leisure and actually enjoy it Wink.
I'm taking a few days off to search for more English teaching jobs (each one take a few hours out of my week, so I try to find more and make them fit around each other), but taking a few days off also means I can find time to read. Since my next exams aren't until next October, I hope to be able to read more than I have prior to my exams.
I'm finishing up Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and recommend the novel to anyone who is charmed by the drama genre. The detail the author captures, along with how he develops certain interpersonal relationships and personalities makes it a truly intriguing novel.

I am also going to finish The Count of Monte Cristo, and perhaps begin Crime and Punishment after that. I read the first few pages of the latter, and it looked like a very interesting novel.

Ben, when are you going to start The Count of Monte Cristo???? scratch If you die before you read it, I will not forgive you....:p
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:14 pm

March Hare wrote:
Ben, when are you going to start The Count of Monte Cristo???? scratch If you die before you read it, I will not forgive you....:p

Very Happy I'm actually trying to decide which book I should read next; The Count of Monte Cristo or Moby-Dick. But I don't plan on checking out anytime soon so I hope I have enough time to read both; Very Happy although Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy does sound interesting so now I’m wondering if I should read that Smile. I would like to read it before I watch the film.

Currently reading: a few short stories by Juan Rulfo. I may even reread Pedro Paramo.

Back to top Go down
Dormouse
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Dormouse

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 9:57 pm

In the light of the film version of Tinker,Tailor, etc. coming soon I would recommend reading that first, however, that factor aside, of the three books you mentioned I would strongly recommend The Count of Monte Cristo. It's my all time favourite novel droolheart and I simply can't imagine another book ever supplanting its place.

Personally, on recommendation from March Hare, I will start reading Tinker, Tailor, etc. myself. After that I'm thinking of starting A Game of Thrones and then watching the TV series with Sean Bean (one of my favourite actors).
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Dormouse wrote:
In the light of the film version of Tinker,Tailor, etc. coming soon I would recommend reading that first, however, that factor aside, of the three books you mentioned I would strongly recommend The Count of Monte Cristo. It's my all time favourite novel droolheart and I simply can't imagine another book ever supplanting its place.

Thanks Dormouse, The Count of Monte Cristo has been recommended to me by so many people now, and Moby-Dick by a few, but not with half as much enthusiasm. So I guess I'll be going with The Count of Monte Cristo Very Happy

So thanks, from one Sean Bean fan to another.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 9:04 am

I just finished a Clash of Kings, which is the sequel to A Game of Thrones. I liked it, and the talent is undeniable, but I didn't enjoy it as much as A Game of Thrones. I can't imagine anyone better than Sean Bean portraying Eddard Stark, though.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:42 am

I'm reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and I've fallen in love with it. I just have so many questions about this book: Why do so many people hate it? If that's the case, then why is it considered an English classic today? And while I understand that the characters are far from angels and saints, their flaws and faults are really their only appeal, and they draw me in. I'm pretty much hooked.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 5:08 pm

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't touched anything really intellectual in a while. At the moment I am reading the "Tempe Brennan"-series by Kathy Reichs and rereading Harry Potter 7. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:55 am

Currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm really enjoying it so far. I have the day off from work, so hopefully I will have some time to read a little more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Louisa wrote:
I'm reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and I've fallen in love with it. I just have so many questions about this book: Why do so many people hate it? If that's the case, then why is it considered an English classic today? And while I understand that the characters are far from angels and saints, their flaws and faults are really their only appeal, and they draw me in. I'm pretty much hooked.

Ahahaha, sorry. I'm just giggling at your new photo/signature. Very nice! Smile

So ... about Wuthering Heights. I think I first read this when I was around 11. I had finished Jane Eyre and I was looking for more Bronte-work. I'm glad you love it - I do as well. But I also understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. Comparing it to its more famous sister, Jane Eyre, I can understand the instinctual rejection for such a work. Heathcliff and Cathy have one of the most violent, tempestuous, and destructive romances written at the time, something that not only challenged societal norms (many speculate Heathcliff was Earnshaw I's bastard - I mean, it's unlikely he just picked kids randomly out of the gutter) but one that changed many romantic ideals for good. What I like about the original work, though, is that it's not held as a standard. While it's true that many today consider Heathcliff the 'ideal' brooding archetype, in Emily Bronte's case, I think her intent was "Be careful what you wish for". I mean, look at Isabella.

Some of the best works in literature are controversial. I mean, look at Lolita. Look at The Origins of the Species. Look at 1984. Look at the Bible. I admire Emily's skill in making us care about these people, because they are honestly so, so unappealing. (Then again, I am quite attracted to characters who behave horribly.) I think they were held up as comparison VS. the younger Cathy and Hareton, who are an better example of what love is supposed to be ... something based on mutual affection and understanding. True, it's not the windswept passion that drove the older generation, but then again, it didn't get anyone killed.

Anyway, in the end of 6 AM ramblings, I leave you with this:

What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 Wutheringheightspt1sm
What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 Wutheringheightspt2sm
What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 Brontessm
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 12:12 am

"A large angry squirrel" lol!

Anyway, I have finally cracked open "The Count of Monte Cristo". It seems some members here find this book favorable. You know who you are. Wink

So far I do like it.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 8:20 am

I am glad you brought out those comics, Lilli! Kate Beaton's work has basically taken over my life. (also X-Men, as you mentioned my sig/pic) Hopefully those unfamiliar with her work will check it out as well.

I plan on watching Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy (it's on my must-see movies list for November-December) so I better go and grab a copy before its December 9 release!

I've also had my eye on The Count of Monte Cristo for a while now. I read a couple of pages but I just didn't have time for really thick books so I had to set it aside.

I finished Hamlet and wooow, I think it's my favorite Shakespeare play so far!
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 12:52 am

Paul wrote:
Anyway, I have finally cracked open "The Count of Monte Cristo". It seems some members here find this book favorable. You know who you are. Wink

I am literally 50% of the way through. I haven't had a lot of time to read it, and when I have I've not been able to concentrate all that well. Those damned winter blues are getting me down I think. I am loving it though; I'd love to have my very own Abbe Faria.

I hope everyone is well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 9:11 pm

I am closing in on the finish of "The Count of Monte Cristo". It is a very good if somewhat long novel.

While I realize that this was common for literature of this era, I still find it a bit disconcerting when the dialogue is overly melodramatic, with vitriolic exclamations everywhere whenever the slightest thing happens. But that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Paul wrote:
I am closing in on the finish of "The Count of Monte Cristo". It is a very good if somewhat long novel.

While I realize that this was common for literature of this era, I still find it a bit disconcerting when the dialogue is overly melodramatic, with vitriolic exclamations everywhere whenever the slightest thing happens. But that's just me.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Paul. I do find that the characters take a long time to say the simplest of things. In fact a whole chapter is often just of two people having a discussion. I admit I became a little frustrated with the introduction of Franz and Albert; they spent an entire chapter talking about how a coach wasn’t available in Rome during carnival. That being said, I do find it to be a charming novel despite its grandiose style of story-telling. I am devoting every available evening I have to reading it. But that's easier said than done; time unbelievably restrictive at the moment.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 2:43 am

I'm reading Watership Down right now, and so far I can't say I like it. The whole story seems to just be rabbits. Rabbits eating, rabbits hiding, rabbits running. After a while, rabbits are not all that interesting. Sigh. Anyone know if this gets interesting at some point? I'm on the verge of quitting.

Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 4:15 am

My wife is not a big book reader, but she read Watership Down quite a few years ago and enjoyed it. I haven't read it, so I can't say. But maybe you can read a few more dozen pages and see how things turn out.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 4:10 pm

From one huge book to another...

I have started Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon. It is 1085 pages long. I am not sure how to classify it. It seems to be a combination of alternate reality/fantasy/adventure/whatsis. It is too early to tell if I am going to like it or not.

I have heard of Pynchon, but this the first work of his that I have picked up. He gets stellar reviews from the critics. The
Wall Street Journal
actually said this novel "...is a major work of art and, like all creations of surpassing greatness, something to be studied". Well, let's just go for reading it for entertainment first. Whenever I see a review like that I have to wonder if the book is in actuality a great big steaming pile of pretentiousness. I suppose I'll find out.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Paul wrote:
From one huge book to another...

I have started Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon. It is 1085 pages long. I am not sure how to classify it. It seems to be a combination of alternate reality/fantasy/adventure/whatsis. It is too early to tell if I am going to like it or not.

I have heard of Pynchon, but this the first work of his that I have picked up. He gets stellar reviews from the critics. The
Wall Street Journal
actually said this novel "...is a major work of art and, like all creations of surpassing greatness, something to be studied". Well, let's just go for reading it for entertainment first. Whenever I see a review like that I have to wonder if the book is in actuality a great big steaming pile of pretentiousness. I suppose I'll find out.

I've heard good things about Pynchon and I've had my eye on Gravity's Rainbow; but I think it might be a bit too much for my meagre brain.

I’ve just started The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler; I admit I wimped out and went for a smaller book following The Count of Monte Cristo Smile The style has a crisp quality, which given its hard-boiled nickname doesn’t surprise me, it really is quite fresh considering its age – or am I just being ageist?

I am interrupting my classics quartet with this one, but since it's considered a modern classic, I think I can defend my decision with some success Smile After this I'll be back on track, either with Frankenstein or Moby-Dick.

I loved The Count of Monte Cristo by the way. I am open to any other suggestions if anybody has any. I may write a review if anyone is interested, unless someone beats me to it. Wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 10:33 am

Go for the review, Ben! I would love to read it!

Anyway, as far as "classics" go, I hope nobody thinks we're a bunch of literary "snobs" here. I read plenty of contemporary, mass-market fiction. And while I do think that most classics are better written than much of what is on today's bestseller lists, I still run across the occasional classic that makes me turn and run screaming for the hills (don't get me started on Ivanhoe... No ).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 17 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next