Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : What book are you currently reading? 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

What book are you currently reading? Empty
PostSubject: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 11:07 pm

I may as well get the ball rolling so when the members start pouring in they have something to answer.

What book are you currently reading and what is it about?

I am currently reading The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks.
It is about two brothers, one who lives "off the grid" because they are being hunted by a group called the Tabula. The main theme in the novel is how "Big Brother" is watching us and we either don't notice or don't care. It is a captivating book and I hope to have time to finish it soon.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi there,

Currently it's Patricia Cornwell's "Portrait of a killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed". It is non fiction, which probably makes it so creepy, though I have only started reading it today. I'm also listening to the audiobook of Pride and Prejudice right now (again? still? *g*), and in very small steps, I proceed on "The Scarlet Letter", a reread, too, for my students. Smile

Cheers
S
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 11:52 pm

I'm currently reading Aerie by Mercedes Lackey... for about, oh, the sixth time. I'm afraid I'm rather horribly addicted to Mercedes Lackey books and have been ever since stumbling across my copies of The Mage Winds trilogy back in fourth grade, an event sadly lost to the mists of time.

Aerie is the fourth book in the Dragon Jousters series. It's about a young serf boy called Vetch who is struggling to survive a cruel master when Jouster Ari, one of the nation's warriors who fight mounted on dragons, swoops in from above (quite literally) and takes Vetch away to serve him in the Dragon Courts. While looking after Ari's dragon Kashet, unique even amongst dragons because he was hand-raised and serves his Jouster out of love, Vetch comes slowly to a conclusion.

He wants a dragon like that too.

This is more a summary of the first book than the fourth, but I'd hate to give any plot points away and it would be hard not to if I simply summarized Aerie.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 12:21 am

Currently, I'm in the middle of Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley.

It begins with a Captain of a ship writing letters to his sister. The Captain later meets Victor Frankenstein, and they become friends. Victor then begins to tell his tale, of how he created the "monster."

Definitely recommended, if anyone wants to read it.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Current Reading   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 1:38 am

Right now I'm reading Th1rteen R3asons Why by Jay Asher. I'm only a few pages in, but so far it looks like a VERY promising teen read. It's about a girl who killed herself and left thirteen tapes on why she did, each addressed to a different person who influenced her decision. I've only gotten to the first tape (out of thirteen). The people each have to listen to all the tapes to find theirs (I think) and then pass it on to the next person on the list-- or else.
For my English class, I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I've read it about a quarter of the way through, and I couldn't do it. Everyone loves it, but I couldn't get into it. Maybe when I actually finish it, I'll like it.
Other than that, my bedtime book is The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Easy, funny, entertaining read for my bedtime story. I loved the movie, and I love the book (so far; I'm nearly done).
That's what I'm reading right now. Next on my list is the latest Artemis Fowl book. study
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 4:15 am

Right now I am reading The Historian by Elizabeth Costova. It's a twist on the Dracula story-- the author took real historical facts and used them to create a fictional story, similar to The Da Vinci Code. So far it's... okay. I don't like the writing, which isn't surprising, as I usually hate most modern writing, but I thought the story sounded interesting. I'm only 100 pages in, but I haven't been too impressed so far. So far it seems a little clunky and fluffy to me, but we'll see how it ends up. Who knows, I may end up liking it.

I read Of Mice And Men last night. I haven't read as good a book in weeks! It was so good. I started it at 6 or so and couldn't put it down until I'd finished it; I loved it. The ending made me sob, but it left such an impact on me. I think it's an excellent book.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:30 am

"Of Mice and Men" was last week's smart read... I still love it, but I don't cry anymore. Well, to be perfectly honest, I usually skip the last three pages or something to keep myself from crying... Rolling Eyes I'm such a crybaby sometimes...
Back to top Go down
Cereal P!NK
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Cereal P!NK

Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 6:20 pm

I'm reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for... hmmm, probably the millionth time. Very Happy

I need new books, I can't wait for Beedle the Bard and my next trip to borders..
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Seriously?! I'm reading that too! I recently bought a collection of all the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books in one volume. This is my first time though.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:01 pm

I tried to read the "Hitchhiker's Guide", but after about a hundred pages, I was entirely lost... If you understand it better than I do, maybe you'd like to give me some hints? Smile My brother keeps telling me it's the most fantastic thing since bottled water, but I just couldn't follow the plot. Embarrassing, I know. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:39 pm

In one of my classes, someone read part of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I think. The scene where the kid's parents pick up a hitchhiker, then the kid imagines the hitchhiker to be a murderer, then the man gets pushed out of the car, then it turns out the child is actually the lunatic. Something like that, anyways.

What else is the book about? Question
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:46 pm

lol.. i think you might have to wrong book/movie. That sounds like a horror movie and THGTTG is basically pure nonsense. It's hard to understand at first just because it is nonsense but once you get past the strangeness, it's a pretty good book. Not the best thing ever but it's an interesting light read. it's about this guy who goes on an adventure with this guy from a different planet after Earth is blown up.
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Solveig wrote:
"Of Mice and Men" was last week's smart read... I still love it, but I don't cry anymore. Well, to be perfectly honest, I usually skip the last three pages or something to keep myself from crying... Rolling Eyes I'm such a crybaby sometimes...

Me too. I cry during everything-- if there is any hint of tragedy or the plot leaves me feeling uplifted, I sob like a baby.

BTW, to whoever asked, AHGTHG is a completely nonsensical and ridiculous book. I love it, but it's one of the most random things ever written (except maybe for Alice in Wonderland). The reason the plot may be hard to follow is because it's so... not normal.
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:19 pm

I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice. It's much more interesting than I thought it'd be. I'm enjoying it.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:23 pm

I am right now listening to the audio book of P&P again. Just love this thing. I know it partly by heart already, but still Smile
Back to top Go down
Medusa
Medusa

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:12 pm

I'm reading Emma by Jane Austen and The Road to Memphis by Mildred D. Taylor. Emma is funny and has several good vocabulary words that I can use. I'm only a few pages into the second book, but so far I'm enjoying it.

study
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:47 pm

I'm currently reading The Children of Hurin by Tolkien. It's a novel about something that takes place a long time before LOTR. It's getting interesting and it's very enjoyable. It's a bit complicated at some points, because Tolkien will mention something about an obscure city, and a chapter later he will bring it up again, but unless you were paying close attention and basically taking notes, it can get confusing. So far we've been following Hurin, who just lost a battle and was taken to the enemy stronghold, where he is being tortured. He has a spell cast on him by Morgoth which will affect both him and his children. It's a tragedy.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: More and more classics...   What book are you currently reading? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:20 pm

I love to read classics. I'm currently reading "Jane Eyre" and "Pride and Prejudice" on my own time. Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm also a sucker for decent romantic books?

In my AP English class, we are reading Hamlet. I'll be honest. At first, I wasn't too sure about Shakespeare-it seemed all esoteric to me. Then I start reading it and watching movie versions, and I basically fell in love with the play. In fact, I'm memorizing the famous "To be or not to be" soliloquy.

That's some epic stuff right there...

~Zara Sahana
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:28 pm

I love your avatar, Zara. Very nice. I'm reading Pride and Prejudice right now, too. I'm actually enjoying it this time.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:34 pm

I finished Farenheit 451 about ten minutes ago, actually. It was pretty good, but I don't like the idea of books burning. Absolutely terrifying.

I'm reading The Shades of Simon Gray for my English class, but so far it sucks. I don't know why my teacher picked it out.
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:30 am

My current reads are:

On my Sony Reader - War And Peace, Anna Karenina, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Heart of Darkness

Books - Folly by Alan Titchmarsh, Runemarks by Joanne Harris, Ring Road by Ian Sansom, Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce and Could it be Forever by David Cassidy

I read several at a time and go from one to the other Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 1:05 am

Lynne, I never like to read multiple books at once. I don't confuse the story lines, but I just like to focus on one set of characters at a time!

You're reading the Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce right now, right? Have you also read the Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce?
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 1:14 am

Tourterelle wrote:
Lynne, I never like to read multiple books at once. I don't confuse the story lines, but I just like to focus on one set of characters at a time!

You're reading the Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce right now, right? Have you also read the Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce?

No not read that one! Have only just found this author and I know its YA but I enjoy reading them! I am a kid at heart! Looking at some of the profiles I may be the eldest one here! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 1:18 am

Quote :
No not read that one! Have only just found this author and I know its YA but I enjoy reading them! I am a kid at heart! Looking at some of the profiles I may be the eldest one here!

Oh, if you've just begun to read Tamora Pierce's books, I would recommend beginning with her very first book, and working your way up! Song of the Lioness series was my very favorite a few years ago, and IMO, it's Tamora Pierce's best series. She also wrote a series about Alanna's children and mentioned Alanna, but those don't match the Song of the Lioness series.

Don't worry about being a bit older than some of us here, especially if you're a kid at heart! We're all readers and therefore, age doesn't make a huge difference. Very Happy

scratch Wait, did that make any sense?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 1:27 am

Tourterelle wrote:
Quote :
No not read that one! Have only just found this author and I know its YA but I enjoy reading them! I am a kid at heart! Looking at some of the profiles I may be the eldest one here!

Don't worry about being a bit older than some of us here, especially if you're a kid at heart! We're all readers and therefore, age doesn't make a huge difference. Very Happy

scratch Wait, did that make any sense?

Somehow... I guess Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 1 of 20Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next