Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Katelyn Leclerq wrote:
Paul wrote:
Well, I am 1000 pages into Les Miserables. It seems to be taking me forever to chug through this book. I do enjoy the story, but when Hugo goes off on one of his many tangents it really bogs things down and my interest wanes. Still, I will finish it. I find it interesting, concerning the romance between Marius and Cosette, how stalking is considered an acceptable part of courtship. If Marius did this today he would have a restraining order slapped on him.

Hugo does tend to do that. Smile What is he blathering on about? Still architecture?

Actually, all sorts of things, from a detailed description of the battle of Waterloo to the history of convents to argot (slang) to How To Build A Better Barricade to...and, yes, some architecture as well. Razz
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 10:38 pm

I borrowed a book from one of my teachers called Lies My Teacher Told Me. It's actually really interesting. He's read through twelve high school American History textbooks, and starting from Christopher Columbus, he goes through everything these books either decided not to mention or just plain got the facts wrong. I'm only on the second chapter, and already I can see how many events were tampered with in order to make the Unites States look forever brave and blameless.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 2:15 am

Jane wrote:
I borrowed a book from one of my teachers called Lies My Teacher Told Me. It's actually really interesting. He's read through twelve high school American History textbooks, and starting from Christopher Columbus, he goes through everything these books either decided not to mention or just plain got the facts wrong. I'm only on the second chapter, and already I can see how many events were tampered with in order to make the Unites States look forever brave and blameless.

Whoever wins the wars writes the books. So mostly, we write the books.
It really makes me wonder how much I've missed and how much I think I know and don't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 8:20 am

I'm not reading a novel right now, but I'm slowly working my way through Simon Schama's "American Future: A History". History, mostly religious and political.
Beautifully written and wickedly wry, the piece is fascinating. I highly recommend it.
Also working through G K Chesterton's The Innocence of Father Brown.
I'm thinking about reading some Dorothy Sayer's stuff after reading an article about her. Can you recommend anything?

On a off topic note, I watched INglorious Bastereds last night, and hated it. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 2:40 pm

I finished Les Miserables last night! Yay! cheers

The story was excellent. Hugo's characters are amazingly drawn. If only he wouldn't go off on so many tangents! The last tangent involved Parisian sewers.

Now I have my sights set on "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. I've been wanting to read that one for a while.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 pm

I finished Anne of Ingleside last night. It's not really the best Anne book in the series, I was kind of shocked to read about Anne Shirley of all people becoming an insecure, jealous and bad-tempered hussy.

Now I'm on to Rainbow Valley of the same series. But what I really want to get to is Rilla of Ingleside because the story about war seems so interesting...and the children are all grown up!
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 9:58 pm

I've been reading a lot of Maureen Johnson books recently, because she took John Green's place on vlogbrothers while he was on paternity leave, and she was incredibly funny and gave great advice, and I felt as though I owed it to her. So far, I've read Suite Scarlett, The Key to the Golden Firebird, and The Bermudez Triangle, all of which are fun and clever, but still very moving.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Cormac McCarthy is phenomenal. I have never read more intense, unflinching, stark prose. "No Country for Old Men", "The Road", and now "Blood Meridian" are among my favorite books. I cannot wait until I get ahold of the three novels that make up "The Border Trilogy". This is strong stuff, unconventionally written (no quotation marks for dialogue), but highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 6:14 pm

I'm almost done with Sophie Kinsella's "Twenties Girl" (it was time for some light reading again). I really like it, although it is largely like her other novels, and the development is pretty easy to predict.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 pm

Grace wrote:
I'm almost done with Sophie Kinsella's "Twenties Girl" (it was time for some light reading again). I really like it, although it is largely like her other novels, and the development is pretty easy to predict.

I always get some form of amusement/pleaure when intelligent people read novels they know don't count for much. I don't know why, it just amuses me. I hate it when my sister does that, though. Primarily because I'm trying to get her to read books I may consider in the future, and am looking for a reliable review from someone I know. study

I'm currently reading Lolita and The Count of Monte Cristo. I've been a bit slow with Lolita, but am loving every step of Alexander's masterpiece. The only downside is that the story has been translated and is therefore lacking a clear tinge that some authors stamp their work with. If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, read Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. I've always had a weakness for some children's literature, like Potter, Carroll, Lewis, Seuss. joy
I'm highly interested in Les Miserables. How was it? Was it well worth it, with the tangents? I missed The Hunchback of Notre Dame's group reading, but I plan to get around to it sometime in the next 5 years, and perhaps Les Miserables when I retire. I'm interested to know if you considered it to be worth the deviations from the plot, or not...
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Nolofinwe wrote:
Grace wrote:

I always get some form of amusement/pleaure when intelligent people read novels they know don't count for much. I don't know why, it just amuses me. I hate it when my sister does that, though. Primarily because I'm trying to get her to read books I may consider in the future, and am looking for a reliable review from someone I know. study

Well, I finished it, and it was just what I needed - a bit of simple fun *gg* Sometimes I just need a proper dose of chicklit.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 2:13 am

Having recently finished Never Let Me Go, I'm inbetween books at the moment. I read a few pages of A River Runs Through It, a couple more of The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Both seem good, but I've just been so occupied that I haven't really gotten into either. I should work on that.

Spring break begins on Friday. If I'm too drained to read tomorrow and/or Thursday, I'm procrastinating until then!
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 4:38 am

Grace wrote:
Well, I finished it, and it was just what I needed - a bit of simple fun *gg* Sometimes I just need a proper dose of chicklit.

I actually like chick-lit, although I haven't read any in over a year. I love Kinsella's works. Yes, they are predictable and shallow, but they make me laugh and cheer me up after a hard day. Very Happy

I will definitely read Twenties Girl some time this year. Ugh, but someone usually checks it out from the library first before I do... Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 4:29 am

Howl wrote:
Having recently finished Never Let Me Go, I'm inbetween books at the moment. I read a few pages of A River Runs Through It, a couple more of The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Both seem good, but I've just been so occupied that I haven't really gotten into either. I should work on that.

Spring break begins on Friday. If I'm too drained to read tomorrow and/or Thursday, I'm procrastinating until then!

OOOOoooooooooooh! Finally someone's read Never Let Me Go. Is it good? It's been critically acclaimed but after reading a synopsis I wasn't sure ... can you give me a review?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:02 pm

Livia wrote:
Howl wrote:

OOOOoooooooooooh! Finally someone's read Never Let Me Go. Is it good? It's been critically acclaimed but after reading a synopsis I wasn't sure ... can you give me a review?

You mean, by Ishiguro? It's one of my favourites, a wonderful story, but it does take some time to get into it. I haven't read it for years, though... A more recent review would be great, Nicholle!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 am

Right now I am reading "Agincourt" by Bernard Cornwell. The main character is an English archer who finds himself, of course, at the famous 1415 battle under Henry V. I have enjoyed some of Cornwell's other historical novels, but I am having a tough time getting into this one. He is laying on the graphic violence pretty thick (captured archers having their fingers chopped off and their eyes gouged out, etc.) without the horrific catharsis of a McCarthy novel. But I think I'm going to stick with it, just to see how the battle itself is played out.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 9:33 am

As much as I would like to say I read history novels for the sake of sounding intelligent, I'm going to be truthful and admit that I don't read history books all that much, unless they are assigned for school.
I find history to be sometimes more disturbing than literature. In fiction, we find all the noble characteristics in our heroes and heroines, and we love them, all the more so if they are slightly flawed. In history, we often delve into it only to discover Bloody, Carnal and Unnatural acts, accidental judgments; casual slaughters..
A book written from the viewpoint of a character may be more inspiring, but I still find history rather depressing. I also read books that are written by the person in the middle of the crisis (the Cultural Revolution, or Pol Pots reign of terror, for example).
I like tragedies, but when real people are killed by the millions, it's not a beautiful tragedy but madness.
Of course, I actually have quite a few history books I plan to read, depressing or not. The review on All is Quiet on the Western Front has sparked my curiosity, and I have a score or so books by the politically interesting author Richard J. Maybury. I highly recommend his books, although I have not read them all. It doesn't take long to realize this author has something unique to offer.
I hope you enjoy your book. You history novels seem to rival some of the graphicness of most horror novels I've read. Don't forget to post a review.
Okay, I mentioned politics more than I should have, and if any of this offends anyone, just PM me and let your anger go.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyTue May 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Right now I am reading "Under a Velvet Cloak" by Piers Anthony. Anthony is probably most famous for his popular "Xanth" fantasy series. "Cloak" is actually part 8 of a fantasy series called "The Incarnations of Immortality". Originally there were only 7 Incarnations (Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature, Satan, and God), which were conceived as offices held by humans at various times throughout existence. I had read the previous seven books some time back and thought they were entertaining enough. Then I found out "Cloak" came out a couple of years ago and I ordered it. This Incarnation is supposed to be Nox, or "Night". It involves a girl in Arthurian England who demonstrates powers as a Seer, gets an education (in more ways than one Suspect ) from an older Seer, falls in with Morgan le Fey, and ultimately becomes the Incarnation of Night.

I have just started this, and I must admit to being a bit shocked. There is a fair amount of sexuality, and, to me, not all of it is appropriate. Still, I liked the other "Incarnation" books, and I am hoping this one will find a way to redeem itself. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyFri May 21, 2010 11:19 am

No, it did not redeem itself. This is a disappointing entry in what I thought was a good series. It's too bad.

However, it does give me an idea for my next subject in the anti-blog...(no, it's nothing bad Razz )
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptySat May 22, 2010 10:34 am

Oh well, not every book can be a winner.
That's why I base my choices off recommendations Wink.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm reading A Perfect Spy by John Le Carre - the same guy who wrote Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy, and The Spy Who Came In From the Cold. It's interesting, the way first person and third person mix, and the way the man and the other characters view life. I'm only a little way in, but I highly recommend it.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptySat May 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Cassandra Maddox wrote:
I'm reading A Perfect Spy by John Le Carre - the same guy who wrote Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy, and The Spy Who Came In From the Cold. It's interesting, the way first person and third person mix, and the way the man and the other characters view life. I'm only a little way in, but I highly recommend it.

I heard that John Le Carré is supposed to be good - which of his books would you recommend most?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyMon May 31, 2010 2:07 pm

I am getting ready to dive into "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson. I have heard a lot about this book, and the trilogy it is part of, both good and bad. I figured it was time to find out for myself. I will let you know how I like it!
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 11:46 am

John Le Carre is a highly acclaimed author. He seems to be a bit better than his contemporaries when it comes to cold war novels (such as Tom Clancy).
A Perfect Spy is very interesting, with realistic situations, well developed characters, and a delightful plot. It's my first book by him, and I'm loving every minute of it. I think you would like it, Grace, although you may want to try some of his more famous works, perhaps The Spy Who Came in From the Cold.
Some people I have met in the past mistakenly associate the spy genre with action-packed thrillers. Perhaps this misconception has been encouraged by recent films and novels such as James Bond. If you are looking for that type of story in any of John Le Carre's books, you will not find it. His stories are dramas, not thrillers.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 1:11 pm

I've read only one novel by Le Carre, and that was "The Constant Gardener" a few years ago. I seem to remember it was a good book, though a bit bulky in parts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 10 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next