Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Buddy reading!

Go down 
+2
March Hare
Kelsey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 3:16 am

Does anybody want to read any of these with me? I'd appreciate a buddy. Here're the books I currently have at my disposal that are unread (but I'd like to change that):
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Louis Carrol
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
The Curious Case of Doctor Jeckyll and Mister Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Dracula by Brom Stoker
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Emma by Jane Austen (I read a few chapters of this this summer, but got about nowhere in it.)

Anything strike your fancy that you've not read or wouldn't mind reading again with me? I'm up for any of those. I want to start reading by Saturday the 17th of January, though, so that gives you time to decide and get your hands on a copy if you'll join me. Anybody, anybody?
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 8:02 am

I'll read/re-read anyway of the following (taken from your list:)'

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Louis Carrol
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
The Curious Case of Doctor Jeckyll and Mister Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Dracula by Brom Stoker
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

You choose. We can discuss the novels on this site.
Back to top Go down

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 12:12 pm

Hey Kelsey!
Sure, I wouldn't mind. You can PM or write me about any of the books. I can go through Phantom of the Opera/Alice in Wonderland with you. But I would suggest dropping Emma. She's about the most frivolous creature I ever encountered, and it's Austen's worst, in my opinion.

-LuthienT
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Well, I'm up for anything - except Dracula, which I have read and hated. Smile Just let us know!
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Perfect! I should be done with the book I'm reading right now by then.

Phantom of the Opera sounds like fun! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Well, it looks like everyone is up for The Phantom of the Opera, which is what I was really aiming towards. That's good! I'll open up a thread for it, and Saturday we can start reading. We can have a pre-discussion on the thread I create tonight (I'm really doing this up, you know.).
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 11:23 pm

Have just ordered it. Hope it will be here by Saturday, though I don't think so. If it isn't, I'll join a few days later Smile
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 11:45 pm

Solveig wrote:
Have just ordered it. Hope it will be here by Saturday, though I don't think so. If it isn't, I'll join a few days later Smile

Oh, yeah, we'll wait on you! I put that into the post I'm working on. I'm trying to make a little schedule-type thing to keep us all on the same page (no pun intended) as we read together. Though to do that, I must know when everyone will actually get their copy and how long they want to spend on it. There are 28 (counting a prologue and epilogue) chapters and about 351 pages in my Harper Perennial version, which I believe to be a very popular one.
So I ask everyone: When do you think you'll have a copy? How much do you want to read in an interval? How long do we want to have between discussion periods (i.e. daily, bidaily, weekly, other), or do we want to wait till the end and talk about it all at once?

Me: I have a copy already from the library. I'll let you all decide what works for you on the rest, and then we'll work it out.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 11:50 pm

Kelsey wrote:

So I ask everyone: When do you think you'll have a copy? How much do you want to read in an interval? How long do we want to have between discussion periods (i.e. daily, bidaily, weekly, other), or do we want to wait till the end and talk about it all at once?

Me: I have a copy already from the library. I'll let you all decide what works for you on the rest, and then we'll work it out.

I just put it on hold a second ago; I'm not sure when it will come. Most likely by Saturday, though.

I vote daily discussions, and I'll do anything for the amount we should read.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 1:47 am

I can start whenever you guys are ready. It's really too bad I already know how that story ends though. (Courtesy of my sister) Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 1:49 am

I have to admit, I've only seen the movie.

Don't tell me the exact ending, but is it different from the movie's ending?
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 4:19 am

It's the same in regards to the Big Things, but there's another change.

Discussions, oh, three times a week sounds good. But really, I'm up for what the rest of you want. As for when I'll have the book? I'm sure none of you will be surpristed when I say, "Way ahead of ya!" But for those that can't find an available version, there's one on online-literature.com.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Buddy reading! 1st_place

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 11:33 am

It's also available at http://www.classicreader.com I actually started a couple weeks ago Smile Perhaps I'll join then.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 2:02 pm

How much would be read on Saturday? I would like to know because I just realized that I won't be able to read it on that date, so I thought I would read the first chapter or two on Friday. Exactly how much to you plan to start with?
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 8:48 pm

That's exactly it. I personally want to wait till everybody has a copy of the book (or a digital means to read it) to start planning anything. I think that everyone should have one by Saturday the 17th of January, right? First after-reading discussion in on Monday, the 19th of January, I think.
I need to know how much everyone is willing to read and discuss, though. Each chapter is about eight pages, I think (don't quote me on that) and we're all decent readers. Is two chapters a night too much for anyone? I would say discussion every other day, but then we'd be talking about four chapters at once, so I think that daily would be better.
Of course the whole thing is optional, so feel free to read at your own pace and discuss whenever convenient.

That work? This is totally open. I'm just trying to get a rough plan, so if anybody has any changes that would work for them, pipe up!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 8:52 pm

Well, it sounds good to me. And four chapters aren't too much to discuss, really Smile
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Solveig wrote:
Well, it sounds good to me. And four chapters aren't too much to discuss, really Smile

True. I just worry about us getting off-track with four chapters for some reason. *glance at certain members*
Options: A) Two chapters a night, daily discussion of those two chapters. B) Two chapters a night, bidaily discussion of four chapters.
It wouldn't be a strict thing. Just read when you can and discuss when you can, but kind of try to stay within the general area the other readers are.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Kelsey wrote:
Solveig wrote:

True. I just worry about us getting off-track with four chapters for some reason. *glance at certain members*
Options: A) Two chapters a night, daily discussion of those two chapters. B) Two chapters a night, bidaily discussion of four chapters.
It wouldn't be a strict thing. Just read when you can and discuss when you can, but kind of try to stay within the general area the other readers are.

tongue Don't be glancing at me, woman!

I vote option A, but again, I'm open for whatever the majority wants.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 2:33 am

I'm not so sure about the whole night/day thing. I think it would be easier just to read and discuss the amount of chapters in the next 24 (or whatever) hours. Let's keep in mind how time zones might cause some confusion if we try to seperate night and day.
That's just my opinion. I'm just pointing out the obstacles, but if you think it's a non-issue then just ignore me clown
Back to top Go down

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 5:03 am

It does seem weird. I mean, I'm on the other side of the world, so as far as time zones go, how on earth am I supposed to start and discuss same time as you guys? I'm willing to try, but it's just .... odd. Can someone tell me how many hours I am ahead of you, Kels?
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Nolofinwe wrote:
I'm not so sure about the whole night/day thing. I think it would be easier just to read and discuss the amount of chapters in the next 24 (or whatever) hours. Let's keep in mind how time zones might cause some confusion if we try to seperate night and day.
That's just my opinion. I'm just pointing out the obstacles, but if you think it's a non-issue then just ignore me clown

That's kind of what I meant. People could just participate whenever convenient. I'm not going to stand over you with a whip and make you read two chapters a night and discuss things at the same time. We're all over the world, so that would be exceedingly difficult. I just wanted to do this so that I would stay focused. I didn't want it to become an obligation for everyone; just chime in with us when you can, and that'll be great.
Back to top Go down

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 1:12 pm

Sure. I'd love to do that !! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Buddy reading! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy reading!   Buddy reading! Empty

Back to top Go down

Buddy reading!
Page 1 of 1