Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sept/Oct Buddy read

Go down 
+2
Tourterelle
Paul
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Sept/Oct Buddy read Empty
PostSubject: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Hey all,

Thought it was time to host another buddy read. This one will start on Wednesday, the 23rd, to give everyone ample time to see this message and to declare their in/out of the group read.
It's cool if you can't participate due to enormous workloads, etc., but I think I would be thrilled to be reading or re-reading anything with you cool people. If you do choose to enter, please declare it in this thread. That way it will be more 'solid' so to speak, with less incentive to quit.

I'd also appreciate some help on picking the books, as I have NO idea what everyone else would like to read. I'm sorry. My mom's calling me. Maybe I'll come up with some ideas later. I promise to be a part and be as active as I can. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 1:17 pm

I was, unfortunately, unable to participate in the last buddy read of The Great Gatsby. I have never been part of a buddy read before, and I would love to experience it. Count me in. As for a book, I as well do not know which one to pick. Any and all suggestions from those who would like to participate will be appreciated. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Sure, I'll participate. Group reads are always fun.

As for what book to read, here are a few suggestions:
East of Eden, John Steinbeck
Sometimes A Great Notion, Ken Kesey
Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, Victor Hugo

I would personally like to read the last book listed, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Hunchback works for me if it works for everybody else.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 4:36 pm

A buddy read would be nice because I'd be accountable for actually getting through a book in my currently semi-hectic life. But I don't have the time to read a really large or complicated novel right now, though that doesn't necessarily exclude classics for me.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Hunchback is fine with me - I am sure I can get that from the library.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 8:38 pm

I love Victor Hugo! Would be thrilled with reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame, if everyone else is okay with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 2:58 am

Hunchback is great for me. It's been something I've always wanted to read, but never really got around to.

So far we have

Laura
Paul
Aly
Kelsey
Nicholle
Thanks, guys, I'm sure this'll be really fun!
Anyone else?
pirat
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 3:09 am

Minus me from that, Lilli. I can't do Hunchback right now, but I'll try to do the next group read.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 am

Aw, I'm sorry, Kels. Maybe we could change the read, you know, make it easier for you.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Hunchback would be nice. I read it in eighth grade and loved it, but haven't reread it since. Victor Hugo's writing is beautiful, and I think I'll appreciate it even more now.

If not, my second choice is Tess of D'urbervilles. I just got a copy but haven't started it yet.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 2:01 am

Jewels wrote:
Aw, I'm sorry, Kels. Maybe we could change the read, you know, make it easier for you.

It's fine if you all read Hunchback. I'll just catch the next buddy read.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 5:09 am

I'm still sorry you can't join, Kels. Maybe next time. <hopeful glance>.

I'm excited for Hunchback. The only contact I've ever had is the Disney movie (hangs head in shame) so I'm looking forward to the surprises and deviations, as I've heard of lot of Hunchback fans were angry as heck at the movie for going off the book path.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 5:22 pm

I enjoyed the Disney movie, actually. I didn't expect accuracy, so I wasn't disappointed. And as a movie, it was good. The animation was well-done and I loved the music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 11:09 am

So you're in too, Magda? Kewl.

Updated list:

Laura
Paul
Aly
Magda
Nicholle

did I miss anyone?

PS: I'm posting an official 'discuss' book thread for Hunchback right now as my time zone is ahead. Feel free to go pre-discuss on there. No spoilers, please.

Btw, how many of you have read this before?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 11:15 am

This is my first time reading it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sept/Oct Buddy read   Sept/Oct Buddy read Empty

Back to top Go down

Sept/Oct Buddy read
Page 1 of 1