Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle

Go down 
4 posters

What would you rate this book after having read it?
1-2
November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle I_vote_lcap0%November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
3-4
November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle I_vote_lcap0%November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
5-6
November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle I_vote_lcap20%November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
7-8
November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle I_vote_lcap40%November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle I_vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
9-10
November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle I_vote_lcap40%November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle I_vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle Empty
PostSubject: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 8:49 pm

Everyone feel free to join and discuss at any time, whether you are reading with us (at your own pace) or have read it before.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 8:47 pm

I am nearly done with the story. This is my first experience reading Doyle, and his style of writing is very easy to read. Sherlock Holmes' relationship with Watson is pretty much what I expected, but I didn't realize the famed detective was an out-and-out drug addict. That first scene with him injecting cocaine into his veins was pretty eye-opening. I'm not familiar with any of the older movies, but something tells me they glossed over that part. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Not all of them exactly glossed over it, but they did make a point of showing it.

I am done with the story, and I am still as much in love with Sherlock Holmes as ever. And this time I actually took the trouble and read up on the background a little bit.

1. It took me a while to figure out that Mary Morstan was indeed Watson's future wife. There are several short stories set before and after his marriage, but I never thought that he actually got to know her in one of the stories. For some reason, romance and marriage are completely beyond my personal Holmes-universe, even if it is about Watson. Also, I never thought that the lady would be more than merely mentioned (later on, you frequently find references such as "my wife and I were having breakfast...").

2. Then there's this small Andaman person. I read up on that, too, finding that they are indeed exceptionally small, but not nearly as aggressive as the example we are introduced to here, and - on a side not - they are nearly extinct.

3. The case is classic. Strange incident, Holmes has more information than we do (i.e. being very familiar with the British world of crime and its inhabitants), and therefore, he has an advantage over the reader. We can follow him, we can admire him, much like Watson does, but we can never interact with the story at any point, trying to figure out who the criminal could be ourselves. Perhaps you have to be ready to accept this spectator viewpoint to like Holmes.

4. The only thing that is not so very classic is that it is actually a case of murder. Usually, Holmes' cases are strange and unusual, but murder is rare. (He remarks on this several times himself.)

5. Oh, and another thing: I find it really interesting that Doyle portrayed the official police as a bunch of clumsy good-for-nothings who never get anything right. Later on, his attitude seems to have changed gradually, and Holmes eventually takes quite a fancy to collaborating with Lestrade.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 3:21 pm

I as well have finished the story. My first experience with Doyle his been pleasant. I think the reason I never read any of his stories is that I perceived Sherlock Holmes as being a very dry, straight-laced, cold character, and I thought that Doyle's prose would reflect that. Well, Holmes is cold and quite often dry, but he is definitely not straight-laced. Imagine my surprise when I discovered he was a hard-core drug addict. In this story, the first thing he does, and the last thing as well, is reach for his precious cocaine.

I enjoyed Watson's moral dismay at this flaw in his hero's character. It shows he is not completely blind to Holmes' faults, despite his deductive genius. Watson is definitely the character to root for in these stories, I can see this already. Holmes reminds me too much of those "know-it-alls" that one runs across sometimes in life, those who like to show off their intellect and prove how smarter they are than everybody else.

All in all, though, I did enjoy the story, and I will, when I have the chance, read more.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 3:59 pm

I also find that Holmes' humour suits me very much. It is dry and often ironic, which I find very funny. In fact, I often catch myself giggling when reading the stories. How did you like that?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Bump!

Want to hear more opinions! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 4:46 am

I haven't read any for over a week. I've just been very busy. I will finish it, as it is very short, but it might take me a while. My workload should lighten up next week (I think, but you never know), though, and I'll try to read some then.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 5:16 am

I am just curious, as I've been reading over the posts. Though I would very much like to, I'm still on Gone With the Wind and I have three more books to read, so I can't start on anything new.
I would like to read some Sherlock Holmes, though I am quite turned off by the fact that he's a drug addict. Is his addiction shown in every book or implied heavily throughout the story? Neutral
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 10:44 am

Louisa Ciel wrote:
I am just curious, as I've been reading over the posts. Though I would very much like to, I'm still on Gone With the Wind and I have three more books to read, so I can't start on anything new.
I would like to read some Sherlock Holmes, though I am quite turned off by the fact that he's a drug addict. Is his addiction shown in every book or implied heavily throughout the story? Neutral

In a way, yes. It is an important part of his character. The good news is, he does show all the negative side effects - and Dr. Watson will usually comment on his addiction with not-too-positive words.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 9:21 pm

I finally finished the November book read. In January. I've finally got the time.
I liked it okay, but I don't think I'll read anymore Sherlock Holmes for a while. I want to see the new movie, though.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 11:47 pm

Well, you finished, and that is something. It just goes to show how busy everyone seems to be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle   November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle Empty

Back to top Go down

November Buddy Read: The Sign of Four by Sir Authur Conan Doyle
Page 1 of 1