Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Jen
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Jen

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-08-10

What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:10 am

I just finished Game of Thrones, the first in a series. It was excellent and I just started reading Smokin Seventeen by Janet Evanovich
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Lilli--It's been a few years since I've read "American Gods". I remember it being all right, maybe a bit better than most of the other popular novels out there, but as far as it being worth finishing, I really can't say. If the book is boring you that much, I would have to say no. I don't remember anything really spectacular happening at the end.

Jen--Ah, I'm glad to see a fellow addict to "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I have read the four books currently in print and am eagerly awaiting "A Dance With Dragons", which is (hopefully, allegedly) coming out in July. And it damn well better not be another six years until the next novel, like it was for this one, Mr. George R. R. Martin! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Jen
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Jen

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-08-10

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 12:27 am

How is the Dostoevsky book coming?
Back to top Go down
Dormouse
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Dormouse

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm currently reading The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. I'm up to chapter four.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Jen wrote:
How is the Dostoevsky book coming?

It's finished. Review is in the review section. Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Dormouse wrote:
I'm currently reading The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. I'm up to chapter four.

Let us know how you like it. It's great to see you back, Dormouse!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 4:50 am

I'm a little confused. Is A Song of Ice and Fire related to Game of Thrones? Are they separate series?

Anyone here read the Dresden Files? I'm hacking my way through the next couple or so.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Lillian wrote:
I'm a little confused. Is A Song of Ice and Fire related to Game of Thrones? Are they separate series?

Anyone here read the Dresden Files? I'm hacking my way through the next couple or so.

"Game of Thrones" is the first book of the series that is called "A Song of Ice and Fire". Right now there are four novels published in this series, with the fifth novel due to come out in July. The author is George R. R. Martin. Very much recommended.

Sorry, I've never read the Dresden Files.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Well, I have finally acquired a book that I should have read years ago, a book that I'm sure most of you have read already: "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. It's about time I got to this one.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 10:20 am

Paul wrote:
Well, I have finally acquired a book that I should have read years ago, a book that I'm sure most of you have read already: "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. It's about time I got to this one.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this one, Paul. I liked it in a way, though I had a hard time getting through it - it's not exactly a pageturner, and some parts of it could have been left out without lessening its appeal in the least. In fact, I think condensing the entire novel might have added to its message.

I've been reading a lot of Tess Gerritsen and Anne George lately - thrillers and good old murder mysteries. I have this huge stack of books I desperately want to read, and I am going to tackle it starting Wednesday at noon. (11:15 is when I'll be handing out report cards to my students - summer holidays, yay!)

Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Paul wrote:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you think of this. It isn't exciting at all in my opinion, but it still captivated me, especially from Scout's POV. One of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 2:58 pm

I have a couple of books that, sooner or later, I will be diving into. One is "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. I have heard much about Ms. Rand, especially her politics (she supposedly makes current American Republican conservatives look like out-and-out liberals). And as I look at the pages of the book (which I got in a second-hand bookstore), I am seeing over 1000 pages with very small print. Well, if I don't like the book I can always use it as a doorstop.

Another book I got is a more recent one. It is "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. This is another book I have heard a lot about. From what I have heard it is a horror novel of sorts, with vampires or zombies or some such roaming a post-apocalyptic world. A cross between Stephen King's "The Stand" and Cormac McCarthy's "The Road", from what I understand. Well, I have read, and liked, both of those novels. So we will see about this one.

Needless to say, I will write reviews whenever I get to these books.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Well, I have started "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. I am about 100 pages into it. It seems well-written, but I'm already noticing spots that could have used a good editorial touch. And yes, it does seem to involve some sort of vampires. I'll post a review once I'm done.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm about fifty pages into "Der Prozess" by Franz Kafka (still trying to grab some knowledge of literary classics along the way). It is a typical Kafka in many ways... hard to describe, really. It's the feel of the text itself. It's creepy and surrealistic without being fantastical. It's more like the feeling you get in a really realistic nightmare.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not too much of a Kafka admirer, but I'll do what I can Embarassed
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Paul wrote:
I have a couple of books that, sooner or later, I will be diving into. One is "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. I have heard much about Ms. Rand, especially her politics (she supposedly makes current American Republican conservatives look like out-and-out liberals). And as I look at the pages of the book (which I got in a second-hand bookstore), I am seeing over 1000 pages with very small print. Well, if I don't like the book I can always use it as a doorstop.
Needless to say, I will write reviews whenever I get to these books.

Well, I am very interested on your views regarding this book. I've heard a lot about it, but have no intention of going through it any time soon, as I disliked the philosophy that was presented. I found it morally distasteful.
I've always supported the far left in regards to government financial policy. I believe that a society should support its members.
I am very much looking forward to this review, I hope you enjoy the novel.
Back to top Go down
Beggar's Banquet
Beggar's Banquet

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 4:05 am

I have two weeks vacation coming up - going to spend most of it at the cottage, on the deck with a cool drink and several books (on the list is Horns by Joe Hill, Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay and Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane). Currently I'm reading Let the Right One In. I'm enjoying this one - it's quite interesting to read a horror novel that humanizes vampires without making them overly sympathetic or romantic. Eli (the vamp) feeds because she has too much like we eat because we have to. Her "pain" comes from extreme loneliness, not some pining for lost humanity or teeth gnashing over what kind of monster she has become.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Oh, interesting. I have the Swedish movie made in 2008. I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but the critics seemed to like it. But if the novel is better than the movie (novels tend to be, unless both are terrible) than I should definitely give the book a shot. It looks like she is suffering from an interesting dilemma.
I hope you will let us know how you enjoyed it once you finished it.

Enjoy your other novels.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 11:13 am

I'm just about finished with the first book of the new series by Rick Riordan, again centering around Camp Half-Blood. Yes, I know it's children's lit, and being a historian and all, I should find novels about Greek gods living above the Empire State Building and giants blowing up stuff and grazing satyrs somewhat tedious, but to be perfectly honest, I love it to bits. I devoured the first series, I am reading the separate series called "The Kane Chronicles" (beginning with "The Red Pyramid" farao ), and now there's this new series - it's fantastic. And fantastical, really. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 11:41 pm

I've been in a short story mood lately. I’ve just finished reading The Dunwich Horror by Lovecraft. I may read another of his or maybe Poe. I have some Horacio Quiroga stories here and a book of short stories by Juan Rulfo (which I have barely looked at for some time) so I may move onto them next.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm

Ben wrote:
I've been in a short story mood lately. I’ve just finished reading The Dunwich Horror by Lovecraft. I may read another of his or maybe Poe. I have some Horacio Quiroga stories here and a book of short stories by Juan Rulfo (which I have barely looked at for some time) so I may move onto them next.

Have you checked out James Thurber? He's a great satirist. I also love the short works of Ambrose Bierce.

I could use some good references for non-American short story writers, though. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Paul - is that really "non-American" or rather "non-English-language"? Smile

I can recommend short stories by Anita Desai (India), Bharati Mukherjee (India), Michael Marshall Smith (technically English, although he did spend some time in the US, South Africa and Australia), Wendy Wallace (Britain), Ron Butlin (Britain), and, for guilty pleasure, Pierre Bellemare (France), although I am not altogether sure if he has ever been translated into English.

If, though, you'd like to get some insight into classic German short stories, that's a different matter entirely. Then you might want to look into Wolfgang Borchert, Heinrich Böll (whom I hate with a passion, but he did win a Nobel Prize of Literature after all), Ilse Aichinger, and perhaps Siegfried Lenz (his novellas are exquisite, but I've never tried any of the short stories).
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 12:16 am

Paul wrote:
Ben wrote:

Have you checked out James Thurber? He's a great satirist. I also love the short works of Ambrose Bierce.

I could use some good references for non-American short story writers, though. Any suggestions?

I have actually just downloaded a collection of works by Bierce. I am surprised to see it doesn't incude An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge! I have always wanted to read that. I've never heard of James Thurber (shame on me lol) but I'll keep an eye out for him, thanks.

As for non-US short story writers; you can't go far wrong with Juan Rulfo and Horacio Quiroga. Pedro Paramo by Rulfo is an amazing story. It inspired Gabriel Garcia Marquez to write One Hundred Years of Solitude, which happens to be one of my favourite novels. Algernon Blackwood, M.R. James are very good (though I am sure you have already read them) Roberto Bolano has published (to my knowledge) three collections of short stories. I have read a fair few now. They are great. Although he is not for everyone. I read 2666 earlier this year and my view of literature and its possiblities have never been the same since. He was an excellent writer.

Sorry, I can't think of any more at this time, but soon as I do I'll let you know.

Hope it helped a little.

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Laura wrote:
I'm just about finished with the first book of the new series by Rick Riordan, again centering around Camp Half-Blood. Yes, I know it's children's lit, and being a historian and all, I should find novels about Greek gods living above the Empire State Building and giants blowing up stuff and grazing satyrs somewhat tedious, but to be perfectly honest, I love it to bits. I devoured the first series, I am reading the separate series called "The Kane Chronicles" (beginning with "The Red Pyramid" farao ), and now there's this new series - it's fantastic. And fantastical, really. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

I love the new series. It's much in keeping with the old style. I don't like the Kane Chronicles quite as much, but I did enjoy the first two.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 pm

I have taken the plunge into "Anna Karenina", a book I would have never considered reading twenty or even ten years ago. I am about 100 pages into it, and again I am amazed at Tolstoy's brilliance at portraying his characters' emotions. He uses words and phrases I would never consider using, yet gets a "Yes! That's exactly what that feels like!" reaction out of me.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 11:54 pm

Paul wrote:
I have taken the plunge into "Anna Karenina", a book I would have never considered reading twenty or even ten years ago. I am about 100 pages into it, and again I am amazed at Tolstoy's brilliance at portraying his characters' emotions. He uses words and phrases I would never consider using, yet gets a "Yes! That's exactly what that feels like!" reaction out of me.

It's on the shelf next to my bed... it's just that I detested "War and Peace", so I am having trouble bringing myself to actually touch it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 15 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next