Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 6:05 am

Louisa Lelouch wrote:
I have finished Child X and Undead and Unworthy within four days (two days each book) and the latter made me want to cry, which was so weird since it's a freaking chick-lit book. I'm now starting on Anne of Green Gables (because Nicholle seemed to really love it) and I'm at the part where Matthew meets Anne and good God, the girl won't shut her trap! She almost consumed a whole page with her talk! And to think, I have to endure this for another 400 pages... headdesk

Ooh, yes, I did love Anne of Green Gables. It's one of those books you feel so comfortable reading.

Anne does ramble, but don't worry; when she matures later, that decreases somewhat.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 7:07 pm

I started A Clockwork Orange. It's pretty awesome. The characters speak this nadsat language of the future, so at first it's difficult to figure out what anyone is talking about, but when I got used to the new words it really was a cool book.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Clementine wrote:
Louisa Lelouch wrote:
I have finished Child X and Undead and Unworthy within four days (two days each book) and the latter made me want to cry, which was so weird since it's a freaking chick-lit book. I'm now starting on Anne of Green Gables (because Nicholle seemed to really love it) and I'm at the part where Matthew meets Anne and good God, the girl won't shut her trap! She almost consumed a whole page with her talk! And to think, I have to endure this for another 400 pages... headdesk

Ooh, yes, I did love Anne of Green Gables. It's one of those books you feel so comfortable reading.

Anne does ramble, but don't worry; when she matures later, that decreases somewhat.

Oh my God, Nicholle, this is totally weird, but I'm actually enjoying the book. At first I was a bit reluctant and thought that maybe I should read Lovely Bones first in case I have a hard time getting into Anne of Green Gables, but...I like it. The writing style is over descriptive, but strangely, it doesn't bother me like most classics. And Anne, though she can't "hold her tongue," as Marilla would put it, is a very lovable character. I like reading about her imaginations and thinking that maybe I could apply it to my life. She's great. This book is great. thumbs
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Whoot! I also have The King's Rose by Alisa Libby in my possession! bouncy
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 12:43 am

Louisa Senrishiki wrote:
Clementine wrote:
Louisa Lelouch wrote:

Oh my God, Nicholle, this is totally weird, but I'm actually enjoying the book. At first I was a bit reluctant and thought that maybe I should read Lovely Bones first in case I have a hard time getting into Anne of Green Gables, but...I like it. The writing style is over descriptive, but strangely, it doesn't bother me like most classics. And Anne, though she can't "hold her tongue," as Marilla would put it, is a very lovable character. I like reading about her imaginations and thinking that maybe I could apply it to my life. She's great. This book is great. thumbs

That's great! Yeah, Anne gets under your skin at first, but eventually, you become very fond of her. She's sometimes forgetful, but she has a wonderful imagination.

I watched the movies years ago, and they're pretty good if you want to check them out, too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 2:03 pm

The first time I read Anne of Green Gables she annoyed the heck out of me. Whining, constantly about how ugly she was and how CURSED (oh yes, we sympathize) she was to have red hair. And then, whenever someone mirrored her opinions about herself (even jokingly) she thwacked them over the head. ???

The second time, though, she grew on me. A lot. What I interpreted as whines I now understood as just a girl ... well, sort of struggling to find herself. She's a lovely person underneath.

I am at a loss as to what to read. I want something cool, though. Preferably with action or magic. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 4:50 pm

Luthien wrote:

I am at a loss as to what to read. I want something cool, though. Preferably with action or magic. Any ideas?

Well, I've always liked the Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce, and that has both action and magic. Alanna isn't a damsel in distress, either.
The series is YA, but if you're okay with that, it's a great read.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 7:07 pm

I was determined to finish Anne of Green Gables last night so I stayed up till 2 am even though there were still about 140+ pages to ago. I didn't want to stop. I was so hooked the minute Anne grew up to be a fine lady. I was shocked, because I thought all 400 pages Anne would be 11-years-old till the end. Plus I couldn't put the book down because I knew there was lingering romance between Anne and Gilbert. Well, it wasn't exactly romance, but it just made me want to read the sequels, too, just to see what happens with those two. They make a very cute couple! I like the Anne as a lady more than Anne as a child. Strangely, it just amazed me, too, like the others in Avonlea, by how much Anne grew up and changed. This book was amazing.

I'm currently reading Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. As soon as I learn how to get off a computer I can finally flip a page of it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Slaughterhouse Five   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Just starting Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut today. I've wanted to try out Vonnegut for some time and finally am.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Spec Tac wrote:
Just starting Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut today. I've wanted to try out Vonnegut for some time and finally am.

Slaughterhouse Five is the only book I've read by Vonnegut, and I really liked it. I plan on reading more of his work later this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 1:24 pm

Louisa vi Britannia wrote:

I'm currently reading Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. As soon as I learn how to get off a computer I can finally flip a page of it. Laughing

I've read "Lucky" which is non-fiction by Alice Sebold. It's the story of how she pretty much single-handedly tracked down her rapist and brought him to court. It was pretty good, but quite traumatic, especially the after effects.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 1:24 pm

Emmeline wrote:
Luthien wrote:

Well, I've always liked the Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce, and that has both action and magic. Alanna isn't a damsel in distress, either.
The series is YA, but if you're okay with that, it's a great read.

Thanks, Nicholle! Will check out.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:02 pm

I am currently nearing then end of Odd Hours, the 4th installment in Koontz's Odd Thomas series. After this, I am not sure what I will be reading. I have a Barbara Erskine book sitting on my shelf but it looks so thick and daunting and I have very little time to actually sit and read.

Maybe I'll just go to classicreader.com and find something there that strikes my fancy.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Luthien wrote:
Louisa vi Britannia wrote:

I've read "Lucky" which is non-fiction by Alice Sebold. It's the story of how she pretty much single-handedly tracked down her rapist and brought him to court. It was pretty good, but quite traumatic, especially the after effects.

I couldn't get into "Lovely Bones," which was sad because I was really looking forward to reading that in a long time. Something about the writing style irritated me and the characters didn't seem real. So I'm reading "The King's Rose" by Alisa Libby. I don't think I'll get back to Lovely Bones, though.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Yesterday I finished Star-Crossed by Linda Collison and read The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick. The latter was a children's book, but I loved it; the story was supposed to part movie, part book, and it was adorable.

I'm currently reading The Stepford Wives, by Ira Levin.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 12:50 am

Well, my droogs, I have finished A Clockwork Orange. Real horrorshow. You should viddy what this veck does with slovos and govoreeting. There's a lot of ultra-violence and the old in-out in-out, but it's still a worthwhile read.

I really do enjoy govoreeting like this.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 12:42 am

I have started 101 Best Scenes Ever Written: A Romp Through Literature for Writers and Readers by Barnaby Conrad. It's interesting, and I think it might be helping me with my ability to write scenes in my own stories. Some of my favorite books are in here, too. Gone with the Wind, The Phantom of the Opera, The Picture of Dorian Gray. At the same time, just as many of my favorites are left out. Jane Eyre, Les Miserables, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Wuthering Heights were all left out.

Still, the scenes Conrad chose were undoubtedly among the greatest. There are also scenes from movies and plays that I like. Our Town and Pygmalion both got spots in the book. I think I'll end up reading most books and seeing most movies mentioned in the book.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 6:27 pm

Started Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. It's not nearly as dry as I'd heard, and I don't have any trouble going through it at this time. I like Pip.
What I'm really worried about is this darned paper on The Ghost Map. The instruction was just so vague, and the book didn't leave an impression. I just can't do it. And that puts me behind on everything else, like this timeline thing. And reading what I want and need to read. I just can't do it all. I don't know what I got myself into. But I know I'll work it all out in the end.
Back to top Go down
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Dubliners'   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 8:32 pm

Started James Joyce's "Dubliners", a short story collection.

This is my first go at Joyce, and so far the stories vary, some are great, a few have been boring, and nearly all are subtle in comparision to modern literature; the talent is in the details so it deserves a nice, slow read.

Plus I've heard more than one person say that "The Dead", which is the last story in the book, is perhaps the best short story ever written. All the stories seem to connect in some way, so I have a strong reason to keep reading this one through.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 2:11 am

Rereading The Lord of the Rings. I'm currently on The Two Towers. I've currently discovered that I've forgotten everything I read in the Silmarillion except Turin, Beren and Luthien, the fall of Gondolin, and a few other bits and pieces. Also, I appreciate Sam a lot more than I did. I liked him before, but this time he's one of my favorites. Also, I had no idea how much I missed Tolkien.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 am

I finally got through The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I expected so much more. Certain moments in the story were interesting, but Stevenson's writing did not keep my attention through most of it. For a relatively short book, it sure did feel long.

I have just begun Great Expectations, my first taste of Dickens. I remember attempting to read it once, but I never got very far. This time I am determined to finish it.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 2:27 am

I'm currently reading Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman, and I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert. The latter is hilarious!
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 2:50 am

Emmeline wrote:
I'm currently reading Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman, and I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert. The latter is hilarious!

Stephen Colbert is amazing! I absolutely adore him. Would the book be worth buying? I've wanted to read it for so long, but I wasn't sure if it would be as good as his television show.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 2:59 am

Allison wrote:
Emmeline wrote:

Stephen Colbert is amazing! I absolutely adore him. Would the book be worth buying? I've wanted to read it for so long, but I wasn't sure if it would be as good as his television show.

I know, I love him too!

I think it's worth buying; I'll buy it after returning the library copy.
The Colbert Report is probably better, but if you can hear Stephen's voice in your head as you read, the book is just as good.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 12:02 pm

Alan Bennett, The Uncommon Reader. I will finish that today, and then give "Ivanhoe" by Scott a go.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 5 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next