Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Go down 
+4
Tourterelle
Laura
Jane
Kelsey
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:34 am

Chapters nine and ten were okay. I keep trying to put things to music to no avail. I need to separate the musical and the book as two things as they are.
I'm curious as to how Christine's engagement will turn out, and I'm glad she still really loves Raoul the sissy.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:35 am

Tourterelle wrote:
I've been reading 2-3 chapters a day. That seems to be what everyone else is doing too, right?

Yeah, I think we agreed on two chapters a night with a discussion about each day or so. We've been keeping up with that pretty well.

By the way, did you ever find out about your copy's difference in chapter length?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:36 am

Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
I've been reading 2-3 chapters a day. That seems to be what everyone else is doing too, right?

Yeah, I think we agreed on two chapters a night with a discussion about each day or so. We've been keeping up with that pretty well.

By the way, did you ever find out about your copy's difference in chapter length?

It seems like my chapters are shorter; that's why I've been reading 3 chapters occasionally instead.

I'm picking up your version from the library tomorrow though, so it should be easier then.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:39 am

Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

It seems like my chapters are shorter; that's why I've been reading 3 chapters occasionally instead.

I'm picking up your version from the library tomorrow though, so it should be easier then.

Okay, that sounds great!

What part are you at? I'm at the part where, after the big confrontation at Mama's, Christine promises to send for Raoul in her dressing-room tomorrow and he walks along his girly way.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:42 am

Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

Okay, that sounds great!

What part are you at? I'm at the part where, after the big confrontation at Mama's, Christine promises to send for Raoul in her dressing-room tomorrow and he walks along his girly way.

I'm at the part where Raoul is freaking out about the "Red Death."
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:46 am

Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

Okay, that sounds great!

I'm at the part where Raoul is freaking out about the "Red Death."

That's my chapter nine "At the Masked Ball" I've read through my chapter ten, but I haven't started chapter eleven yet.
I think the Red Death is the Phantom, (or Erik, as I must now call him as it has been revealed in the book). That might be because of the 2004 movie where Erik presents Don Juan to the masquers, dressed in red, but I still think it's him.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 12:29 am

I had to skip last night's so I guess we can discuss eleven through fourteen tomorrow sometime.
I do have this though: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 Funny-pictures-this-cat-is-the-phantom-of-the-opera
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 1:20 pm

I finished Chapter 10. I've been really busy recently, which has been obvious by my lack of posts, but so far the book has been both enjoyable and wonderfully well written.
I don't know how many of you are familiar with Chinese tradition, but right now happens to be their equivalent of Christmas. It's best known as Chinese New Year or Spring Festival. Being half-Taiwanese, I have to travel to Taipei and see my relations. I will be without access to a computer, where I've been reading Phantom of the Opera and visiting this wonderfully website, which means I will have to drop out of this reading forum. Crying or Very sad I plan to finish the book when I can but I won't be able to catch up since my free time is too limited. It's been great reading this book with you, and I hope we can start another when this is over. Happy Chinese New Year
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Nolofinwe wrote:
I finished Chapter 10. I've been really busy recently, which has been obvious by my lack of posts, but so far the book has been both enjoyable and wonderfully well written.
I don't know how many of you are familiar with Chinese tradition, but right now happens to be their equivalent of Christmas. It's best known as Chinese New Year or Spring Festival. Being half-Taiwanese, I have to travel to Taipei and see my relations. I will be without access to a computer, where I've been reading Phantom of the Opera and visiting this wonderfully website, which means I will have to drop out of this reading forum. Crying or Very sad I plan to finish the book when I can but I won't be able to catch up since my free time is too limited. It's been great reading this book with you, and I hope we can start another when this is over. Happy Chinese New Year

Well, have fun in Taipei! We'll miss your input, though. Have a happy Chinese New Year!
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Where is everybody in Phantom now? I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 8:25 am

Well, I finished. (it was my second time)
I liked it, as I caught a lot of things I didn't before while I was rushing through it (Gaston can really jack up the suspense) Anyways ... anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 pm

I admit, I am having trouble getting through it. I find it very confusing, and it drags at times. Any advice on how to keep going?
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Does anyone want to discuss Phantom anymore? lol!
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 8:58 pm

I finished last weekend, but forgot to come on here! Oops.

Anyway, I thought it was very good. The character development was phenomenal, which is something I admire greatly in a novel.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:22 pm

I liked the book too. Like I said in the chat box, Raoul and Christine weren't my favorites ever.

Christine was constantly wringing her hands over telling Raoul something, while Raoul was always leaping up, prepared to fight. They kind of annoyed me.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:23 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
I liked the book too. Like I said in the chat box, Raoul and Christine weren't my favorites ever.

Christine was constantly wringing her hands over telling Raoul something, while Raoul was always leaping up, prepared to fight. They kind of annoyed me.

And I think they were supposed to! I'll admit, they're not my favorite couple of people. They're both so... dumb.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:25 pm

That's the best way to put it, actually. They're just dumb.

What did you think about the ending, how Erik let Christine go because she wept for him?
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
That's the best way to put it, actually. They're just dumb.

What did you think about the ending, how Erik let Christine go because she wept for him?

I don't think she wept for him. I think she wept because of all that had happened and the way he was sobbing. I imagine it was stress. I think that Erik might have deluded himself into thinking Christine was a better girl than she was, though she could, of course, have been weeping for him. I'm glad he let her go, though.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:35 pm

She wept for her own situation and Raoul, I suppose.

I liked Erik's character, but he definitely was delusional. If that's all it took for him to give her up though, he should have done it sooner. She showed him what he would call affection before that, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4