Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Go down 
+4
Tourterelle
Laura
Jane
Kelsey
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 3:35 am

Great, we're all set then.elephant I actually read the first 4 chapters due to some misunderstandings, but I'll try not to read ahead. Will you be opening up a new thread, or use this one for all the discussions?
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 4:50 am

Nolofinwe wrote:
Great, we're all set then.elephant I actually read the first 4 chapters due to some misunderstandings, but I'll try not to read ahead. Will you be opening up a new thread, or use this one for all the discussions?

Hmm... Didn't think about that. I think that this technically counts as the discussion thread since that's what I intended it to be (with the pre-reading discussion). We'll just meet here on each of our Mondays, discuss the first two chapters, come back on each of our Tuesdays, and do the same for chapters three and four, and so on.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 1:46 am

Just one day more! *hums the Les Miz song*
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 1:57 am

Magda wrote:
Just one day more! *hums the Les Miz song*

I knew you'd be excited to finally talk some Phantom with us! I owe you for introducing me to the book in the first place. Thanks so much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 5:28 am

Tourterelle wrote:
Solveig wrote:
I'm done with the prologue and chapters 1-4. I find it quite easy to read, although there are long parts in which Leroux tells us nothing new, and that can be easily skimmed. But now that the phantom actually starts to act, it's becoming more entertaining.

I have the feeling that Christine is indeed a damsel in distress, but I'm even more confused with Richard and Moncharmin. They appear so interchangeable to me! And I haven't quite figured out the two Chagnys: As far as I know, Philippe is the Count - and Raoul is in love with Christine. But somehow it says that Philippe is in love with her, too? Or am I dense again?

I don't think it seemed like Philippe was in love with Christine; actually, I think Philippe was entertained/amused by his younger brother lusting after Christine.

Well, I think it said something like, "If he hadn't already been seeing this other opera star, he's been chasing Christine as well" or something. He probably thought she was hot, like all the rest.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Mmmk, well it's Monday! It doesn't seem like much discussion for chapters one and two has gone on, but that's okay, I'll start.
I read chapters one and two last night. Not much has happened so far. At this point, I think that Raul is a bit of a sissy; he'd better man up a little bit. I don't know too much about Christine yet. The Phantom, I've not developed an opinion on yet. I like the Comte pretty well; he seems friendly. The dancing-girls are ditzy, and Sorelli is good for putting up with them.
Plot-wise, not a whole, whole lot as occurred. I'm assuming that Raul already loved Christine from childhood and this is a magical reunion or something. I'm also going to assume that it was the Phantom who taught Christine to sing and it was him who was in her dressing-room after the show.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Kelsey wrote:
Mmmk, well it's Monday! It doesn't seem like much discussion for chapters one and two has gone on, but that's okay, I'll start.
I read chapters one and two last night. Not much has happened so far. At this point, I think that Raul is a bit of a sissy; he'd better man up a little bit. I don't know too much about Christine yet. The Phantom, I've not developed an opinion on yet. I like the Comte pretty well; he seems friendly. The dancing-girls are ditzy, and Sorelli is good for putting up with them.
Plot-wise, not a whole, whole lot as occurred. I'm assuming that Raul already loved Christine from childhood and this is a magical reunion or something. I'm also going to assume that it was the Phantom who taught Christine to sing and it was him who was in her dressing-room after the show.

Raoul is a sissy.

Have you no opinions on Joseph Buquet?
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Jane wrote:
Kelsey wrote:

Raoul is a sissy.

Have you no opinions on Joseph Buquet?

Other than the fact that he's dead and I pity him for it? No.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:00 pm

I also think it was the phantom that was in the dressing room with Christine. I kind of wish we got to hear more of their conversation.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:05 pm

BeautyBlitz wrote:
I also think it was the phantom that was in the dressing room with Christine. I kind of wish we got to hear more of their conversation.

I wish Raoul had had the courage to walk into the room before Christine left.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

The dancing girls are airheads, ready to believe any rumor they hear about the Phantom.

I also agree Raoul seems like a wuss so far; I thought it was funny how amused his brother was by him lusting after Christine, too. Seems like a level-headed guy, although he must be considering he's in his 40s.

Anyone have a random guess as to the Phantom's age? I've been wondering for awhile.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
The dancing girls are airheads, ready to believe any rumor they hear about the Phantom.

I also agree Raoul seems like a wuss so far; I thought it was funny how amused his brother was by him lusting after Christine, too. Seems like a level-headed guy, although he must be considering he's in his 40s.

Anyone have a random guess as to the Phantom's age? I've been wondering for awhile.

He's been around a fairly long time. I would say more, but it would spoil the book.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Jane wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

He's been around a fairly long time. I would say more, but it would spoil the book.

Is he supernatural? Laughing

If he's not, I was going to wager a guess at 35-45 years old.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Tourterelle wrote:

Bad internet connection today, so I'll try and post as many of my thoughts in one thread as possible.

1) Not only is Raoul a sissy, but he's also ridiculously young.
2) On the other hand, from the hints I've gathered so far, the Phantom seems to be too old.
3) I don't like Sorelli. Too much of a diva for my taste. Especially because she puts up with the airheaded ballet girls - I know she's not supposed to be a heroine, but if a herd of crazy girls rushed into MY room before an important speech, I'd have thrown them out point blank.
4) In my humble opinion, Mr Leroux seems to have trouble getting his plot on the way. I like his descriptions of the characters, they are really easy to analyse, but he's taking his time to get to the juicy details. I miss a hook, so to speak.

@Nicholle: As far as I can see, the Phantom is not supernatural, at least not in the direct sense of the word.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Solveig, I thought the same about the hook. Frankenstein was the same way for me, but it picked up later. Phantom will too, I'll bet, or it wouldn't have so many fans.

The number of deaths are starting to grow and the opera is about to get some new owners, so it definitely will.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:46 pm

Solveig wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

Bad internet connection today, so I'll try and post as many of my thoughts in one thread as possible.

2) On the other hand, from the hints I've gathered so far, the Phantom seems to be too old.
3) I don't like Sorelli. Too much of a diva for my taste. Especially because she puts up with the airheaded ballet girls - I know she's not supposed to be a heroine, but if a herd of crazy girls rushed into MY room before an important speech, I'd have thrown them out point blank.
4) In my humble opinion, Mr Leroux seems to have trouble getting his plot on the way. I like his descriptions of the characters, they are really easy to analyse, but he's taking his time to get to the juicy details. I miss a hook, so to speak.

@Nicholle: As far as I can see, the Phantom is not supernatural, at least not in the direct sense of the word.

I hope you like it as it goes on. I did, but it might not be the same for everyone. The ending is the best part for me, though.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:47 pm

By the way, was La Sorelli in the 2004 film?
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Tourterelle wrote:

Sort of, only she went by the name of La Carlotta.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Jane wrote:
Solveig wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

I hope you like it as it goes on. I did, but it might not be the same for everyone. The ending is the best part for me, though.

I do like it! I've cheated and read on, so I'm already in a chapter in which the plot does pick on Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Jane wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

That's why I was confused, then. I thought La Sorelli sounded like the character La Carlotta.

Why the name change?
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 10:01 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
Jane wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

That's why I was confused, then. I thought La Sorelli sounded like the character La Carlotta.

Why the name change?

Sorelli is a last name. Carlotta Sorelli is the full name.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 10:02 pm

Jane wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Jane wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

Why the name change?

Oh, duh. headdesk
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
Jane wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Jane wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

Why the name change?

Oh, duh. headdesk

Don't feel bad; I missed that too. I just assumed they were two different people.
I thought it interesting that the 2004 (and the entire musical, I assume) meshed Madame Giry and the Persian. I already knew the book did that (I read up to chapter five or so a few months ago, but couldn't read it so much online, so I put it aside till I go a copy), but I still think it's interesting.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 11:31 pm

That's another one I was wondering about, actually. I couldn't remember hearing about the Persian in the film.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 12:27 am

Tourterelle wrote:
That's another one I was wondering about, actually. I couldn't remember hearing about the Persian in the film.

We stupid movies-watchers can't keep up with more than a few characters. Directors do that all the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next