Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Go down 
+4
Tourterelle
Laura
Jane
Kelsey
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 am

Okay. First two chapters.

I admit, the first time I read them, back last January I thought they were boring. Now, I love them; they're not my favorites, but still good. I wish I'd read the book before seeing the film, because all these stories about the ghost would have been wonderfully suspenseful. All the ballet girls are pretty darn funny, too.

Raoul's not the sharpest razor in the drawer, yes. Smile But in an adorable naively-impulsive way...kind of like Marius from Les Miz, ya know? He can be annoying, but I like him. Also, he's twenty-one, Christine's age, maybe a year older, so I don't see how he's too young. And yes, Phillipe is awesome. I do love the innuendos about wanting to show Raoul the beauty of Paris.

Erik is...I'm not sure how old exactly, but in his fifties. No, nothing supernatural about him. "Yes, he existed in the flesh and blood, though he preferred to take on the appearance of an actual phantom."

And La Sorelli and Carlotta are actually NOT the same person. Sorelli is the lead ballerina; Carlotta is the lead soprano.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:26 am

Magda wrote:
Okay. First two chapters.

I admit, the first time I read them, back last January I thought they were boring. Now, I love them; they're not my favorites, but still good. I wish I'd read the book before seeing the film, because all these stories about the ghost would have been wonderfully suspenseful. All the ballet girls are pretty darn funny, too.

Raoul's not the sharpest razor in the drawer, yes. Smile But in an adorable naively-impulsive way...kind of like Marius from Les Miz, ya know? He can be annoying, but I like him. Also, he's twenty-one, Christine's age, maybe a year older, so I don't see how he's too young. And yes, Phillipe is awesome. I do love the innuendos about wanting to show Raoul the beauty of Paris.

Erik is...I'm not sure how old exactly, but in his fifties. No, nothing supernatural about him. "Yes, he existed in the flesh and blood, though he preferred to take on the appearance of an actual phantom."

And La Sorelli and Carlotta are actually NOT the same person. Sorelli is the lead ballerina; Carlotta is the lead soprano.

Okay, was La Sorelli in the movie, then?
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:30 am

No, Sorelli wasn't in the movie. (And on a side note, I love Sorelli's name. Makes me think of Pirelli.)
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:31 am

Makes me think of Pirelli, from Sweeney Todd, too! Laughing

Whenever her name popped up in the first 2 chapters, I started humming "Pirelli's Magical Elixir" to myself.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 2:18 am

Okay, so they're NOT the same person and I'm not an idiot for missing that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 7:24 am

BeautyBlitz wrote:
I also think it was the phantom that was in the dressing room with Christine. I kind of wish we got to hear more of their conversation.

Aha! all in good time, BeautyBlitz!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 7:27 am

Magda wrote:
No, Sorelli wasn't in the movie. (And on a side note, I love Sorelli's name. Makes me think of Pirelli.)

Oho! I'm not the only one! alien And I totally agree with your opinion on Raoul. Not the brightest bulb on the horizon, but kind of foolishly gallant and for a damsel in distress type girl as Christine is, they're pretty well matched.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 9:48 am

So far I get the impression that Christine is somewhat of a flake, for lack of a better word. Yes, everyone was surprised that she sung so well, including herself, but is that really any reason to faint? Did that bother anyone else or is it just me? I've only read the first couple chapters, so my opinion could change, but that's how it stands right now.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 12:02 pm

BeautyBlitz wrote:
So far I get the impression that Christine is somewhat of a flake, for lack of a better word. Yes, everyone was surprised that she sung so well, including herself, but is that really any reason to faint? Did that bother anyone else or is it just me? I've only read the first couple chapters, so my opinion could change, but that's how it stands right now.

Now that you mention it, it was a bit of an overreaction. In her defense I would like to state that she probably realized that her earlier performance had just rocketed her from a small time singer onto the fast track of Paris, so we should just be thankful she didn't faint during her performance.
Chapter four has a cliffhanging (at least for me) ending which is both suspenseful and agonizing. Leroux's way of building up the tension and mystery about the Phantom is very cleaver, and makes the book very enjoyable.
The new mangers (I forgot their name) are playing a dangerous game with fate, but I can't really blame their unbelief at something so seemingly supernatural. So far it's been a wonderful read though, and one that I wasn't planning on looking into until you guys voted for it. I don't always know what 's good for me... thumbs
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 5:05 pm

Nolofinwe wrote:
BeautyBlitz wrote:

Now that you mention it, it was a bit of an overreaction. In her defense I would like to state that she probably realized that her earlier performance had just rocketed her from a small time singer onto the fast track of Paris, so we should just be thankful she didn't faint during her performance.
Chapter four has a cliffhanging (at least for me) ending which is both suspenseful and agonizing. Leroux's way of building up the tension and mystery about the Phantom is very cleaver, and makes the book very enjoyable.
The new mangers (I forgot their name) are playing a dangerous game with fate, but I can't really blame their unbelief at something so seemingly supernatural. So far it's been a wonderful read though, and one that I wasn't planning on looking into until you guys voted for it. I don't always know what 's good for me... thumbs

And that's why you need us to plan out your life. We make smart choices. *cough*

Chapters three and four.
Not much happened in chapter three, did it? Other than the new managers making fools of themselves with the notes. I mean, who actually thinks that someone would come up with such an elaborate plot as hiring out a "phantom" for the dinner, writing clauses in strange hand for a free box, and then continuing a correspondence over said box? That's just silly. I mean, I would just let the Phantom have the box. If it's already empty, what's the harm?
Chapter four kind of made me even angrier at the new managers. They treated Madame Giry like she was beneath them even though she is apparently a very dignified, truthful, hard-working woman. At least the Phantom appreciates her services at the box. Which brings me to the question, Who is the Phantom's lady? What are the manager's going to do about what they seem to think is a problem with Box 5?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 10:28 pm

Kelsey wrote:

Chapters three and four.
Not much happened in chapter three, did it? Other than the new managers making fools of themselves with the notes. I mean, who actually thinks that someone would come up with such an elaborate plot as hiring out a "phantom" for the dinner, writing clauses in strange hand for a free box, and then continuing a correspondence over said box? That's just silly. I mean, I would just let the Phantom have the box. If it's already empty, what's the harm?
Chapter four kind of made me even angrier at the new managers. They treated Madame Giry like she was beneath them even though she is apparently a very dignified, truthful, hard-working woman. At least the Phantom appreciates her services at the box. Which brings me to the question, Who is the Phantom's lady? What are the manager's going to do about what they seem to think is a problem with Box 5?

I suppose an elaborate practical joke seems more likely than a ghost, although I do agree they acted like fools. There comes a point when you just have to believe something because of all the evidence, no matter how unlikely it seems.

I'm not sure what scene you're speaking of with Madame Giry and the "Phantom's lady." Perhaps our chapters are different, but Madame Giry wasn't mentioned in my Chapter four.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 1:43 am

Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:

Chapters three and four.

I suppose an elaborate practical joke seems more likely than a ghost, although I do agree they acted like fools. There comes a point when you just have to believe something because of all the evidence, no matter how unlikely it seems.

I'm not sure what scene you're speaking of with Madame Giry and the "Phantom's lady." Perhaps our chapters are different, but Madame Giry wasn't mentioned in my Chapter four.

That's weird, because she's in mine. She's the keeper of Box Five, so the new managers call her in to talk to her about her experience with the Phantom. Madame Giry says that the Phantom sometimes brings a lady, and she once left a fan in the box. The managers then think Madame Giry is insane or lying, so they decide to take matters into their own hands.
Which copy do you have, Nicholle? I have a Harper Perennial version.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:07 am

Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:

Chapters three and four.

That's weird, because she's in mine. She's the keeper of Box Five, so the new managers call her in to talk to her about her experience with the Phantom. Madame Giry says that the Phantom sometimes brings a lady, and she once left a fan in the box. The managers then think Madame Giry is insane or lying, so they decide to take matters into their own hands.

Bantam Doubleday Dell. noidea
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:11 am

Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:

Chapters three and four.

What was your chapter four about, then? That's really weird. I'm gonna go look at the online version, too.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:13 am

Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:

Chapters three and four.

What was your chapter four about, then? That's really weird. I'm gonna go look at the online version, too.

The online chapter four "Box Five" was just as mine is.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:17 am

Kelsey wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:

Chapters three and four.

It hurts my eyes to read books online.

I'll just try to get your version, I guess. noidea
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:21 am

Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:

Chapters three and four.

Oh, no! I wasn't suggesting you read the online; I was just trying to figure out which of our copies was off and why. Yours wouldn't happen to be the teen version, would it? I know that there are three versions of the book, but I assumed only the children's version would be changed at all. If you do have the teen version, that might be the difference.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:22 am

Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:

Chapters three and four.

Oh, no! I wasn't suggesting you read the online; I was just trying to figure out which of our copies was off and why. Yours wouldn't happen to be the teen version, would it? I know that there are three versions of the book, but I assumed only the children's version would be changed at all. If you do have the teen version, that might be the difference.

You know, it might be. I didn't really check carefully to see if it was the original.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:26 am

Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:
Kelsey wrote:

Chapters three and four.

You know, it might be. I didn't really check carefully to see if it was the original.

It should say on the cover somewhere, I think. Mine does.
You wouldn't think they'd change a teen version, though, even if that is what you have.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 9:51 pm

I think my chapters might be shorter than yours, somehow.

No big deal. I put your copy on hold at the library, and read ahead in the copy I have right now.

I see what you mean about Madame Giry: she's a respectable woman, and they were treating her like dirt. Again, I guess the thought that the whole Opera contains a bunch of pranksters/liars seems more likely than the idea of a ghost. If the new owners do take her up on the idea to sit in Box Five by themselves, however, they might finally understand that (duh) there is an Opera ghost.

Has anyone else reached the part where it talks more about Raoul's puppy love for Christine?
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:01 am

What're we up to now? Through chapter eight?

Well, I thought that Raoul and Christine's little childhood sweetness was cute. Chapter five was when I stopped preferring the movie.
I'm glad that the new managers now seem to believe in the Phantom, and that Carlotta is a toad.
I was a little surprised at how much this book is about Raoul. (I mean, the book should have been called Raoul the Sissy Follows Christine so far, but I don't think that title would have caught on.)
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Kelsey wrote:
What're we up to now? Through chapter eight?

Well, I thought that Raoul and Christine's little childhood sweetness was cute. Chapter five was when I stopped preferring the movie.
I'm glad that the new managers now seem to believe in the Phantom, and that Carlotta is a toad.
I was a little surprised at how much this book is about Raoul. (I mean, the book should have been called Raoul the Sissy Follows Christine so far, but I don't think that title would have caught on.)

It becomes more about the Phantom later on. That's when I really started getting into the book. Erik kicks Raoul's sissy butt!
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 7:40 pm

How far should we all have read by now? i think I'm behind Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:32 am

BeautyBlitz wrote:
How far should we all have read by now? i think I'm behind Crying or Very sad

There's no way you can be behind. Just take it at your own pace. However, the set schedule is supposed to have been done with chapter ten by Friday night (whenever your Friday is).
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:33 am

I've been reading 2-3 chapters a day. That seems to be what everyone else is doing too, right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux   Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Buddy Reading: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next