Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book) Empty
PostSubject: Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book)   Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book) EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 8:36 pm

I found "Skinny Bitch" in my BF's bathroom, and looked into it. I liked the style, so I got my own copy.

BIG mistake.

"Skinny Bitch" describes itself as "a no-nonsense, tough-love guide for savvy girls who want to stop eating crap and start looking fabulous". I expected an amusingly written self-help book about nutrition and health.

I got a flaming manifesto about veganism. Not only is the entire food industry corrupt and worse than the mafia, it is also conspiring with the government against us, the clueless customers, to make us eat really, really bad, evil, toxic (sic!) stuff. Like yoghurt. In the whole wide world, there are only two people you can trust: The authors. (There are several phrases that they keep repeating, especially to finish paragraphs: "Trust no-one [that is, except the authors, I presume]." - "You are what you eat." - "Use your head.")

Nothing against plant based eating. I rarely eat meat, simply because I don't fancy it, but making lentils and chickpeas the one and only source of my protein seems a bit boring to me (at least in the long run). The authors' answer is "Don't be a pussy" - so much for tough love.

I wouldn't feel so betrayed if it said somewhere on the cover or in the introduction that this book was about veganism. It doesn't, I've checked. In fact, the word "vegan" isn't introduced before Chapter 6. Argh.

Some of the ideas they mention are interesting, like choosing unprocessed foods, eating more vegetables etc. - but let's be honest, there's nothing new about that, is there? I've waited in vain for the revelation that was promised on the cover. I mean, other than "milk makes you fat".

Even for a self-help book, that's shallow.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book)   Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book) EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 10:44 pm

*Paul takes a bite out of a slice of sausage and mushroom pizza*

Well, I'm eating tomatoes. That's part of the sauce. And...are mushrooms considered vegetables? Or is that just the fungus among us? Okay, there's green stuff sprinkled on here...I'm guessing parsley...

Yeah, I'm eating healthy! Razz
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book)   Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book) EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 8:45 pm

I'd think oregano would be more likely, or basil for that matter Smile

I had cottage cheese today, and a yoghurt, and when I had dinner, I actually threw some meat into the bargain. Drag me to hell, will ya? lol!

So, if someone has recommendations for books about healthy eating that are actually worth their money... Oh, wait, am I imagining the impossible again? Wink
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book)   Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book) EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 1:04 pm

...and now I am realizing that their tactics actually work. I've just been to the supermarket to stock up after the holiday feasting, and guess what? I'm suddenly studying ingredients, and discarding anything that contains high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, anything with more than five syllables that sounds vaguely Latin and saturated fats.

Oh god, am I becoming a "picky bitch"? (Since I am by no means skinny, that would be the term to choose...)
Back to top Go down
violet
violet

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book)   Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book) EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi laura. This sounds like an ideal time for the library, or extensive bookshop browsing, then buying 2nd hand on ebay if youre unsure. Btw, low fat milk actualy removes fat from the body, so is an aid to healthy living. Best way to eat well is cook your own. If youre busy, try jamie oliver's new book, or watch it on youtube- 3 or 4 course meals prepped and cooked in 30 mins- "jamie's 30 minute meals". That'll avoid processed stuff. Loose weight? Less carbs, have soup once a day (stays in the stomach longer than same weight of food and water eaten separatly, so one's fuller longer, so eats less), and take a bit more exercise. Obviously today ive dined off 2 packets of crisps and half a packet of choc biscuits. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book)   Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book) EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:03 am

Sounds....err....like an interesting read? The author sounds like a conspiracy theorist. Sure, meat processing plants can be disgusting (not all of them, but have any of you real The Jungle by Sinclair Lewis? It's an older book about the meat-packaging industry, but it gets a bit...err.....descriptive)

I happen to be vegetarian because my mother is a traditional Hindu and I was raised that way. Now, I'm just vegetarian because I'm used to it and don't really want to change. But at the same time, my body reacted horribly when I accidentally ate meat for the first time-I vomited for 24 hours straight. So I want to fix that, and since I want to ultimately go to Japan (or anywhere in East Asia, really), I figure I probably need to get used to it anyways.

But vegan? I definitely can't do that. I love my milk, cheese, and yogurt too much for that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book)   Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book) Empty

Back to top Go down

Skinny Bitch (or: How I paid $14 on a crappy book)
Page 1 of 1