Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best book of the decade?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Best book of the decade? Empty
PostSubject: Best book of the decade?   Best book of the decade? EmptySat May 22, 2010 10:51 am

I got a little tired of seeing that claim on the back of Twilight, so I thought I would ask all of you what you thought was the best book published in this decade. I realize I'm a few months late, but better late than never.

My favorite book of this decade was The Children of Hurin by J.R.R Tolkien. Written in 1910, it was published in April 2007.
It was highly acclaimed with critics likening it to a Greek Tragedy. I loved the depressing tone to it. Tragedies are some of the best novels.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Best book of the decade?   Best book of the decade? EmptySat May 22, 2010 6:13 pm

I'll have to go with "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". It is fun to read, it draws the reader in, and yet it is intellectually very challenging. I love every bit of it.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Best book of the decade?   Best book of the decade? EmptySat May 22, 2010 10:46 pm

For me it's "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. McCarthy is a contemporary writer, but I very much believe his works will be considered "classic literature" a hundred years from now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best book of the decade?   Best book of the decade? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 1:46 am

"The Road" is actually good, but it was so bleak. You share a lot with my brother, Paul, in your love for bleak tragedies. (I like'm too, but not ALL that much) You'll probably get along famously.

{in an alternate universe}

Paul: And then, after realizing {insert terrifying, plot changing, clause that ruins the characters' lives}, he throws himself off a cliff...
Nolo: Awesome! And they all died ...
Both: horribly ever after!
{they both go on discussing books where everyone dies in various exotic ways}

Sorry, guys, I mean no disrespect. Just couldn't pass it up. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Best book of the decade?   Best book of the decade? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Lillian wrote:
{in an alternate universe}

Paul: And then, after realizing {insert terrifying, plot changing, clause that ruins the characters' lives}, he throws himself off a cliff...
Nolo: Awesome! And they all died ...
Both: horribly ever after!
{they both go on discussing books where everyone dies in various exotic ways}

Sorry, guys, I mean no disrespect. Just couldn't pass it up. Laughing

Yeah, sure, uh huh! Razz

Actually, you're probably right. Laughing

You're right, "The Road" was very bleak. So are most of McCarthy's other works. I think what got to me the most with "The Road" was the fact that I am a father. The father in this book struggling to keep himself and his son alive, all the while saving one bullet in his gun to give his son a quick death if worse came to worse, had a profound effect on me. I could not help but wonder what I would do in the same situation. If I didn't have children it wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much. That emotional catharsis, plus McCarthy's singular writing style, is what caused me to consider this book a future classic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best book of the decade?   Best book of the decade? EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 5:20 am

It is undoubtedly a future classic. I always think books that tackle morals and hard situations where the reader is forced to draw conclusions and look inside themselves for answers - those books are going to be remembered.
Back to top Go down
jocelynclaire

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Best book of the decade?   Best book of the decade? EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:12 am

I would have to vote for Heather O'Neil's "Lullabies for Little Criminals." It is also very bleak, but captivating. A beautifully written, highly literary text about lower class children and adolescents moving through social services and foster care in Montreal that has been loved by literary and popular readers alike (which is, I think, part of its merit). I read a lot (all the time, and usually multiple books at once), and this is the book that I always remember as both beautiful and sad, literary, challenging, and also engaging in a way that any reader will enjoy when someone asks a question such as this.
Back to top Go down
http://holygpa.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best book of the decade?   Best book of the decade? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best book of the decade?
Page 1 of 1