Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.

Go down 
+2
Magda
Tourterelle
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 10:24 pm

In case anyone was in doubt, I"ve given up on this book read. Please don't wait for me to catch up, if that's what you're doing, because I might not be inished for months. Too damn busy.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 3:34 am

Jane wrote:
In case anyone was in doubt, I"ve given up on this book read. Please don't wait for me to catch up, if that's what you're doing, because I might not be inished for months. Too damn busy.

The same goes for me. Sorry, guys.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 2:16 pm

That's fine. You guys got clobbered with homework and other school activities. We tried, but the timing just wasn't there. Still, I will say that, when you do have the chance, finish the book. It is worth it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 7:43 am

I totally understand, guys. Please don't feel pressured, but if you have time, do try to finish it. It's a true masterpiece.

XXXX huuuug huuuug keep book2 book2
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 6:11 am

I just realized I signed up for the group read but haven't commented on the book once. It's pretty late to do that now, but here goes!

I first read this book in seventh grade and have been meaning to reread it for a while, since Hugo is one of my favorite authors. You guys gave me the prod I needed. Thanks! :-)

Not too many of my opinions have changed, really. I still want to slap Phoebus (ahem--Captain Playboy) in the face, hard. Esmeralda isn't very intelligent sometimes, but when I look at the situation she's in, I can't help but sympathize with her.

Quasimodo is awesome, and his devotion to Esmeralda despite his knowledge that she won't return his love makes me want to give him a hug. The "water" scene is brilliantly written and makes me cry. Same goes for the last chapter. I strongly feel Paquette should not be as neglected as I've heard she is by movie versions--she has some really good monologues at the end. Finally, Pierre Gringoire has all the funniest scenes and is my favorite character in the book, even if his obsession with the goat is a bit odd.

I felt a bit less interested in Frollo this time around. I honestly have no idea why. I still think he's a well written character, and his inner struggle is well shown. Maybe the abridger left something out? Last time, I read it unabridged.

All in all, it's a wonderful book. Hugo is a great author--he always words things so perfectly. I should read more of his books.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Magda. They are fascinating, as always!
I always thought that Captain P's attitude was a great portrayal about how laziness and ignorance is not benign. How indifference almost always contributes to evil instead of doing anything productive.
Quasimodo's plight broke my literary heart. I almost couldn't think at all when I read that his skeleton crumbled, I was focusing on keeping my eyes clear to finish the book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3