Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

July Group Read

Go down 
+2
Jane
Tourterelle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Here are some books I thought might work well:
The Princess Bride, William Goldman
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
East of Eden, John Steinbeck
We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson
Watership Down, Richard Adams
The Tenant, Roland Topor

Let me know which book you would like from this list or any books off the list you would prefer!

Maybe we can start next week, after everyone has found a copy of the book. After that, we'll need to decide how often to talk about the book and how much to read in-between talks.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 9:13 pm

All of those sound great to me. East of Eden is high up on my reading list, but I think The Princess Bride would be a lot of fun to read. Really though, all the books look good. I'm just glad we are finally planning another group read, and this time it won't be a book I have already read.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 9:14 pm

Allison wrote:
All of those sound great to me. East of Eden is high up on my reading list, but I think The Princess Bride would be a lot of fun to read. Really though, all the books look good. I'm just glad we are finally planning another group read, and this time it won't be a book I have already read.

I realized after posting that Kelsey has already read The Princess Bride, so I think that's out.

East of Eden sounds good, though!
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 6:55 pm

All the books sound great. My vote is on The Great Gatsby, which I've heard some very wonderful things about.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 7:45 pm

East of Eden does sound good, but I'd also love to reread Gatsby for once - it's been ages, and I'd love to get a grown-up perspective now Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 12:40 am

Looks like it's The Great Gatsby or East of Eden.

I think I would like The Great Gatsby just because I have a copy right now. Is The Great Gatsby okay with everyone, then?
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 12:44 am

I'll read the Great Gatsby. I have heard nothing but good about it. Plus, I have to read it for school sometime next year anyway. Just tell me when the reading begins. I'll need to pick up a copy.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 pm

We could start by the end of this week, I suppose. Everyone who wants to participate has most likely seen this thread by now, and those who want to participate know we're reading The Great Gatsby.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 8:17 pm

There haven't been any updates on this for a while. Are we still doing the group read?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Allison wrote:
There haven't been any updates on this for a while. Are we still doing the group read?

That would be my fault, I'm sorry. I got caught up in doing Crime and Punishment, for homework.

Do you want to start reading tomorrow? I'll post a thread.
Back to top Go down
Poe Bird

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-08-17

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:02 pm

Hmm did the July group read ever happen? Perhaps you should make another attempt for September. I would have said Gatsby or Eden as well, namely because I'm on a Steinbeck kick and EoE would have been very convenient.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 12:57 am

Poe Bird wrote:
Hmm did the July group read ever happen? Perhaps you should make another attempt for September. I would have said Gatsby or Eden as well, namely because I'm on a Steinbeck kick and EoE would have been very convenient.

Yes, but it was a bit short.

A September group read might be inconvenient, as many people (myself included) are starting school right before or in September. Perhaps in October or November we could try another one.
Back to top Go down

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 7:34 am

I'm game for that.

Are you looking forward to anything in particular during September?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Jewels wrote:
I'm game for that.

Are you looking forward to anything in particular during September?

Just school, and that should be practically boring once I'm adjusted and used to the new schedule.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 12:42 am

Once I get my life under control, I'd be interested in a group read.
Back to top Go down

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 5:01 am

So, once we get our lives under control, then?

Jane, I love your picture, you're so pretty.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 11:07 am

Jewels wrote:

I'm ready for a group read any time you all are.

And thank you. That's really sweet.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Allison wrote:
Jewels wrote:

She's right, you know. You're very pretty.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Nicholle wrote:
Allison wrote:
Jewels wrote:

She's right, you know. You're very pretty.

Okay, this is going to sound really sappy, but thank you both! I don't get called that much, and it's very nice of you to say so. huuuug
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:12 pm

I may be mistaken here... But wasn't The Great Gatsby the July buddy read??
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 7:53 pm

It was. This was the thread in which it was set up. There is a separate thread that contains the actual buddy read.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

July Group Read Empty
PostSubject: Re: July Group Read   July Group Read Empty

Back to top Go down

July Group Read
Page 1 of 1