Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.

Go down 
+2
Magda
Tourterelle
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. Empty
PostSubject: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 11:21 am

Well, here we are at October's (basically) group read. If you are about to make a post, please state which chapter you are speaking of, so we can help others not to accidentally read spoilers.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 11:46 am

So, has anyone ever read Victor Hugo before? I've read Les Mis, but I would like to reread it sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 5:41 pm

I've read Les Mis several times and am planning on rereading it sometime soon. It's one of my favorite books. I also read Hunchback in eighth grade, and need to reread it. Hence, group read.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 10:52 pm

Les Mis might be my favorite book. I just hope Hunchback is as good. Tomorrow, I'll finally get the book.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 12:24 pm

I have started Hunchback, and am about 20 pages into it. Now, my edition (Bantam), the only one I could find, has 366 pages, though the text is small and compact. On Goodreads, the book is listed as 512 pages (Signet). I take it that whoever translates this book abridges it to their heart's content, or to the publisher's specifications. Either way, I am going to continue with my edition and hope that I'm not missing out on too much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 2:10 am

I'm at chapter 6 already. That is, I have finished CH 6.

I think it's great so far. I love the description of Quasimodo and the thoughts that run through that mildly psychotic playwright's brain. But Victor Hugo seems to wax lyrical on the architecture, which is a bit dry.

Paul, are you reading an abridged version? I hope not!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 11:10 am

I'm thinking Hugo must have some sort of architectural background, because in addition to his description of buildings he also describes faces as "hexagonal, pentagonal, heteroclite" and "tetrahedron".

So far I am enjoying the story. It may be abridged, I'm not sure. I'll have to take a closer look. But it was the only copy I could find, and I guess I'll stick with it.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 9:16 pm

I just realized that my own copy is abridged. I'm going to buy the full version tomorrow hopefully, but I couldn't read the book knowing I might be missing out on something, even if there is only a slight difference.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 5:07 am

Jane wrote:
I just realized that my own copy is abridged. I'm going to buy the full version tomorrow hopefully, but I couldn't read the book knowing I might be missing out on something, even if there is only a slight difference.

I KNOW! I hate missing out on whatever literary genius some dweeb saw fit to edit out. Where are the rest of our buddy readers? I'm already halfway through!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 9:50 pm

Some of the buddy readers may be overwhelmed with school work or other activities at the moment. Because of this, and because some of us unfortunately ended up with abridged editions without initially realizing it, I suggest we slow this down a bit and allow others an opportunity to catch up.

I will say that, so far (even with a damned abridged edition, which was the only copy I could find), the writing is not as stuffy and formal as, say, a Dickens story. This could in part be because of the translation, but I am finding elements of humor that I wasn't expecting, and I think this is pure Hugo.

I will continue to look for an unabridged edition.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 1:07 am

Paul wrote:
Some of the buddy readers may be overwhelmed with school work or other activities at the moment. Because of this, and because some of us unfortunately ended up with abridged editions without initially realizing it, I suggest we slow this down a bit and allow others an opportunity to catch up.

I will say that, so far (even with a damned abridged edition, which was the only copy I could find), the writing is not as stuffy and formal as, say, a Dickens story. This could in part be because of the translation, but I am finding elements of humor that I wasn't expecting, and I think this is pure Hugo.

I will continue to look for an unabridged edition.

It really would be lovely if we could slow down for a little while. I didn't realize how different the two versions would be, and I've had to start all over. Give me a day or two, and I'll work my way to where everyone else is. Which is...where, exactly?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 2:12 am

I've been preoccupied with school, so I'm only a few pages into the book. I'm comfortable with slowing down, and the group read will probably be improved if we do. Reading the book in a few days and then discussing it afterward is an abrupt way of doing things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm fine with slowing down. Just let me know where you are at so I can share/comment on your reactions. If you want to know ... I'm done. Yeah. I can't stop once I start.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 2:58 am

So, for everyone who hasn't finished yet, where are you? What do you think of the book so far?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 10:58 am

I am about a third of the way through. The character of Phoebus has just been properly introduced. I have never read Hugo before, and I must admit I am surprised at the humor he shows. I have laughed more than once since I started the book.

Yet he can also be serious and poignant. He makes the reader feel for Quasimodo, and you have the feeling that his descriptions of Parisian society in the Middle Ages is spot on. People are so miserable and jaded that they actually look forward to public floggings and executions, just to forget their own misery for a while. They turn those events into family outings.

So far it is a very good read.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 am

I adore the book, now that I'm done for awhile and can look objectively. I won't spoil it for you guys, so I'll let you know my feelings on the end once you're done.
Hugo's obsession with architecture REALLY gets on my nerves. foulmouth foulmouth But I love his character descriptions. Quasimodo is ... wow. Probably my new favourite protagonist.
Esmeralda seems to me to be a much weaker character than in the film. Don't get me wrong, she's cute and loving and all, but seems to get intimidated easily. She doesn't jive at all with Demi Moore's spirited gypsy. And Phoebus ... let me just say, guys SUCK!
fight
And yes, sigh, there are exceptions to the rule.
pipe
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Hmmm. I cannot say this will become one of my favourites yet. I've read about fourty pages, and I still wonder when it will pick up. So... when does it pick up?
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Laura wrote:
Hmmm. I cannot say this will become one of my favourites yet. I've read about fourty pages, and I still wonder when it will pick up. So... when does it pick up?

I've read about the same amount, and I've been wondering the same. I'm used to being hooked quicker than this.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 9:08 pm

Tigermilk wrote:
Laura wrote:

I've read about the same amount, and I've been wondering the same. I'm used to being hooked quicker than this.

Maybe my abridged edition is a blessing in disguise, after all. There was some mention of architecture, but not the vast amounts I have heard others describe. My edition went right into the play that backfires and Quasimodo being chosen as the Pope of Fools. I would like to check out the unabridged edition, but if most of what I'm missing is a lot of dry, irrelevant material, I'll stick with what I have for now. For me, the story is moving right along.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 1:51 am

Paul wrote:
Tigermilk wrote:
Laura wrote:

Maybe my abridged edition is a blessing in disguise, after all. There was some mention of architecture, but not the vast amounts I have heard others describe. My edition went right into the play that backfires and Quasimodo being chosen as the Pope of Fools. I would like to check out the unabridged edition, but if most of what I'm missing is a lot of dry, irrelevant material, I'll stick with what I have for now. For me, the story is moving right along.

I don't believe I have an abridged edition, so I suppose that explains why I haven't even met Quasimodo yet. The story will be better once I do, though; I'll just stick it out until then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 7:41 am

[quote="Tigermilk"]
Paul wrote:
Tigermilk wrote:
Laura wrote:

I don't believe I have an abridged edition, so I suppose that explains why I haven't even met Quasimodo yet. The story will be better once I do, though; I'll just stick it out until then.[/quote

Lucky you, Paul!
For everyone, you meet Quasi in chapter 5. You may want to start at chapter four for a bit of background. The French public in that era is so fickle!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 am

For me, the book starts at the Great Hall of the Palace of Justice, where Pierre Gringoire's play is set to entertain a delegation from Flanders and, unavoidably, the mass of people waiting outside, looking for entertainment. The delegation, along with the cardinal who is escorting them, is late, and the crowd is getting impatient. The crowd is egged on by Jehan Frollo, the brother of the archdeacon.

In my edition, Quasimodo shows up in Chapter 4.

I imagine, unless you are reading this in its original French, you are at the mercy of whoever is translating it. My edition is published by Bantam, and is translated and abridged by Lowell Bair.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 am

Like I said, Paul. Thou are very fortunate. I had to wade through a chapter and a half of architecture description. Mad
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 5:14 pm

It is occuring to me as I read this that, except for Quasimodo, there isn't a single character here that is worth rooting for. The men are all cads and fools, and the women all seem to be shallow and insipid. Perhaps it was Hugo's intent to show that the character who is physically deformed is also the only one with an ounce of spiritual integrity.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Paul wrote:
It is occuring to me as I read this that, except for Quasimodo, there isn't a single character here that is worth rooting for. The men are all cads and fools, and the women all seem to be shallow and insipid. Perhaps it was Hugo's intent to show that the character who is physically deformed is also the only one with an ounce of spiritual integrity.

I agree - the old way of showing that outside beauty doesn't count etc.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. Empty

Back to top Go down

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next