Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.

Go down 
+2
Magda
Tourterelle
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 10:35 am

Oh, definitely. Quasimodo is the hero, the star. Once you get past his appearance and rough nature, he's incredible. He is "Le Shit" Razz
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 10:53 am

Chanelle wrote:
Oh, definitely. Quasimodo is the hero, the star. Once you get past his appearance and rough nature, he's incredible. He is "Le Shit" Razz

"Le Shit"? That's a new one on me, especially as you obviously mean it as a compliment. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Paul wrote:
Chanelle wrote:

"Le Shit"? That's a new one on me, especially as you obviously mean it as a compliment. Laughing

"The Shit" is now a positive thing. Like "the Bomb."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 7:53 am

Rhea wrote:
Paul wrote:
Chanelle wrote:

Okay, yeah. It was a joke. He is incredible, but I wanted a amusing way of expressing it. He is definitely the bomb. I should just speak through Kelsey in the future. lol!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 1:09 pm

Chanelle wrote:
Rhea wrote:
Paul wrote:
Chanelle wrote:

Okay, yeah. It was a joke. He is incredible, but I wanted a amusing way of expressing it. He is definitely the bomb. I should just speak through Kelsey in the future. lol!

I understand now. I'll be depending on you ladies to keep me appraised on ever-changing nuances like that. So this means that the next time I tell someone they're full of shit I am actually telling them they are a veritable font of wisdom. lol!

Enough derailment--back to the book! Exclamation Razz Has anybody else besides Lilli reached La Esmeralda's infatuation with Phoebus yet? This makes me shake my head, mostly because I have seen this sort of thing happen enough in real life, and I'm sure most of you can agree.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Paul wrote:
Chanelle wrote:
Rhea wrote:
Paul wrote:
Chanelle wrote:

I understand now. I'll be depending on you ladies to keep me appraised on ever-changing nuances like that. So this means that the next time I tell someone they're full of shit I am actually telling them they are a veritable font of wisdom. lol!

Enough derailment--back to the book! Exclamation Razz Has anybody else besides Lilli reached La Esmeralda's infatuation with Phoebus yet? This makes me shake my head, mostly because I have seen this sort of thing happen enough in real life, and I'm sure most of you can agree.

That was one time, Paul. I'm not sure you want to go saying that around on a daily basis.

Such derailment, we're diabolical. My appraisal of Esmeralda is that she could hardly help herself. I mean, c'mon. She's 16 years old. She may be matured in getting food in her belly, but she is definitely unskilled in the social game of courtly love.
Poor thing. Any respect she had for herself went down the drain. She's turned into a complete nitwit for him.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:41 pm

I met Quasimodo today. Finally. Still have no idea how far ahead of me everyone else is, but from the looks of things I still haven't caught up.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 10:45 pm

Jane wrote:
I met Quasimodo today. Finally. Still have no idea how far ahead of me everyone else is, but from the looks of things I still haven't caught up.

We're at the same place in the book, then, because I just recently met Quasimodo as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 5:49 am

Whoa! Poor you. I'm just jumping jumping -ing with impatience for you guys to catch up so we can finally discuss the stuff.

What is your first impression of Quasi?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 10:58 am

That must be the scene where he was elected Pope of Fools. As I read this I was initially surprised he had ventured out of Notre Dame and actually allowed himself to be a part of that, but maybe his natural craving for human interaction overcame what, from little I know of him, I would imagine to be his ingrained reticence.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 1:03 pm

Caitlyn wrote:
Whoa! Poor you. I'm just jumping jumping -ing with impatience for you guys to catch up so we can finally discuss the stuff.

My vision is still blurred by Disney, I fear. If I had read the book before watching the movie, my perception would probably be that I find him kind of creepy. I don't like people sneaking around in dark corners Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:02 pm

Caitlyn wrote:

The first thing that came to mind at his description was honestly, "Wait -- he's deaf?!" I guess that wasn't in the Disney movie. Another effect of having grown up on the Disney film: I keep imagining Quasi as this cute boyish figure rather than the horrific, monsterous thing described by Hugo. And I have "The Bells of Notre Dame" song from the movie stuck in my head every time I open the book.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Jane wrote:
Caitlyn wrote:

The first thing that came to mind at his description was honestly, "Wait -- he's deaf?!" I guess that wasn't in the Disney movie. Another effect of having grown up on the Disney film: I keep imagining Quasi as this cute boyish figure rather than the horrific, monsterous thing described by Hugo. And I have "The Bells of Notre Dame" song from the movie stuck in my head every time I open the book.

Quasimodo's deafness surprised me a bit at first as well, until Hugo explained how Quasimodo spent years right next to the huge bells as they rang because he loved them so much. Yeah, that could explain it.

I am fortunate in that I never saw the Disney movie, at least as it relates to how I am now reading the source material. I have never seen the older movies based on the book either, though I have seen stills, and Lon Chaney's Quasimodo pretty much resembles how he was portrayed in the novel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 2:54 am

You guys all have just interesting perceptions. Do keep us informed of your progress. Where are you at, Paul?

After I read this I re watched the Disney version just to cheer me up a bit. Personally, Esme is a bit to easily intimidated and shallow/insipid for me to like. I like her Demi Moore portrayal better, she's a much more likable character.
That said, I agree with Paul on how Victor Hugo made attractive people with unattractive personalities, and how you find a beautiful soul in the oddest places, in Quasimodo.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 10:49 am

I am about two-thirds of the way through the book, though I am trying to pace myself so Jane, Nicholle, and others will have a chance to catch up. Once they do I will make more observations.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 11:36 am

Has anybody else run across La Esmeralda yet? Impressions thus far?
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 9:40 pm

So...when does Quasimodo actually get a significant part in the book? I've just finished Gringoire's wedding scene, and am really impatient to get to the good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 9:45 pm

Stick with it, Jane. Quasimodo really doesn't come into his own until the second half of the novel, but it is worth it.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 12:23 am

Jane wrote:
So...when does Quasimodo actually get a significant part in the book? I've just finished Gringoire's wedding scene, and am really impatient to get to the good stuff.

Actually, the inhabitants of the Court of Miracles are an interesting bunch. They are part of a key scene near the climax of the book.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 7:25 am

Jane wrote:

THat is actually a very good part. After this, if you have the unabridged, you'll have to endure some awful architecture description, but then we really move into the fast lane.

The part just after the wedding was amusing. La Esmeralda is all "Don't you DARE touch me!" Gringoire is like, "But we're married!"
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 2:02 am

Athena wrote:
Jane wrote:

THat is actually a very good part. After this, if you have the unabridged, you'll have to endure some awful architecture description, but then we really move into the fast lane.

The part just after the wedding was amusing. La Esmeralda is all "Don't you DARE touch me!" Gringoire is like, "But we're married!"

I'm glad you mentioned the architecture -- it saved me a few pages of absolute boredom. Then, of course, there was the riveting chapter on a view of Paris. I skipped that one too. I love Hugo's writing, but why? What made him think that any reader would enjoy that much irrelevent description?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 11:03 am

Maybe he thought it would improve their minds ... lol!

Besides that, anyone else care to share where they're at, and thoughts, etc?

What do you think of Victor Hugo's (sans architecture) writing style? I think that the way he does Claude Frollo and Quasi is seamless and amazing. Such large insight.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 11:25 am

How is everybody doing on this? Has anybody reached good old (ugh) Captain Phoebus yet?
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 9:04 pm

The book has finally become interesting. I just finished the chapter describing Frollo and Quasimodo's relationship. Still not nearly as far into the book as everyone else, but I'm working on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 5:48 am

Paul wrote:
How is everybody doing on this? Has anybody reached good old (ugh) Captain Phoebus yet?

Captain Playboy, more like drunken
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - group read.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next