Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Dormouse
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Dormouse

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-11-23

What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 7:06 am

Currently, I'm reading an anthology titled Great Modern Short Stories (amusing title these days, for a book published in 1942.) The book includes:

"Heart of Darkness" - Joseph Conrad
"The Apple-Tree" - John Galsworthy
"The Prussian Officer" - D.H. Lawrence
"Miss Brill" - Katherine Mansfield
"The Letter" - W. Sommerset Maugham
"The Snows of Kilimanjaro" Ernest Hemingway
"Paul's Case" - Willa Cather
"I'm a Fool" - Sherwood Anderson
"Haircut" - Ring Lardner
"Turn About" - William Faulkner
"The Old Demon" - Pearl S. Buck
"The Red Pony" - John Steinbeck

A couple of novellas in there but mostly short stories. I just finished Heart of Darkness. It would've been more interesting if Conrad was more down to earth. I had a hard time following him and the conflict was too ambiguous to keep me interested. I nearly fell asleep several times while reading (seriously) and it took self-discipline for me to finish the book. I hope "The Apple-Tree" is better.

Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 8:57 pm

I read "Heart of Darkness" and actually liked it. Of the others there I have read the stories by Maugham, Hemingway, Cather, Anderson, and Faulkner. I have read various pieces (none listed there) by the other authors. Let us know how you like the other stories!
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 2:16 am

Dormouse, if you like any of the novels, or want to comment on them, you can post a review on https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com/review-section-f19/

I'm interested in your thoughts concerning Earnest Hemingway....
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 2:32 pm

I am currently reading "The Crossing" by Cormac McCarthy, the second novel of the "Border Trilogy". I am almost halfway through it. While McCarthy's prose, as usual, amazes me, this has yet to catch me emotionally and viscerally like his other work has done. We shall see!
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 4:11 am

I'm reading Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews. I found out that this author specializes in family sagas, and this particular book is the first in the Dollanganger series. A pretty disturbing book in so many levels, yet I just love it so much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Louisa wrote:
I'm reading Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews. I found out that this author specializes in family sagas, and this particular book is the first in the Dollanganger series. A pretty disturbing book in so many levels, yet I just love it so much.

Ahhhh ... nervous laugh inserted here.

I stayed away from that book series, mainly because the squick factor pale
Glad to see you're reading something you enjoy, though.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 4:23 am

I finished up Tess of the D'Urbervilles earlier today. It's lengthy with overly-detailed descriptions of location/its history, but those flaws pale in comparison with the rest of the novel. Good characters, good story, good stuff.

With Tess finished, I'm currently reading The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Mayor of Castro Street, and The Black Unicorn (a collection of poetry). All are wonderful so far.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 11:58 am

I'm in the middle of Dorian Gray, too. It's my sixth or seventh attempt, not counting the audiobooks I've tried, and this time I. Will. Finish. It.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Because it was given to me by a friend, I am reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. Truthfully, I have been less than thrilled with King's last few outings, but with this one he is showing some ambition and better-than-average writing. It is a 1000-page book, and I am 300 pages into it. I will post a review when I am finished.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 11:55 pm

Has anyone here read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley? I think I will be diving into that one shortly. If you have read it, what are your thoughts about it?
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 1:50 am

Lillian wrote:

I can see how these books would make someone vomit. I've read the reviews and people go, "I hate it because of the you-know-what." Could the same thing be said of Lolita? The subject of that book is not all unicorns and rainbows either.

I gotta say, FitA made me cringe in some parts. But hey, isn't it nice to try out a disturbing book once in a while?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 10:36 am

Paul wrote:
Has anyone here read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley? I think I will be diving into that one shortly. If you have read it, what are your thoughts about it?

Read it, analysed it, did my finals about it... It's part of a thorough German education Smile

It took me a while to begin to like it. The first chapter is extraordinarily boring, which is part of Huxley's approach, but when he begins to actually introduce characters into the story, it all becomes better.

Funny you mention it. Just last night, I was thinking about the main character's claim that he had a right to be unhappy.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 6:11 am

Paul wrote:
Because it was given to me by a friend, I am reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. Truthfully, I have been less than thrilled with King's last few outings, but with this one he is showing some ambition and better-than-average writing. It is a 1000-page book, and I am 300 pages into it. I will post a review when I am finished.

Ahh Stephen King.
I am actually quite divided on him as far as my opinion. I've read some books that I loved (Misery) and others that I found less intriguing, such as Cujo and, yes, even The Shining. The former I just didn't find interesting, and the latter failed to scare me much, and I found the child an unrealistic character. The way he retained his calmness and sanity in the face of horror at the final showdown is not how a five year old would act, regardless of any 'powers'.
I knocked off the Mist in one day when I decided to screw my studies and engage in a little pleasure. I actually enjoyed it immensely, much more than I thought I would. The supermarket scene, how order and control were maintained, the interactions, how anarchy and murder were brewing, the general situation, the sanity and lack of it in the people, etc caught my interest. My favorite will probably always be Misery. With only two characters, King takes special care into sculpting the protagonists, especially Paul Sheldon. He delved into the mind of an author in an interesting way.
Anyway,
I'm interested in how his latest work is. Thanks for the review.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Now reading Night Train to Lisbon. In English, because the original German wasn't available at my bookstore. That makes it a little - I don't know, it feels weird. Usually, I read German texts in German and English texts in English or (rarely) as a German translation. This is a first, I think.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 5:45 pm

My reading is suffering a bit right now. Life is quite busy for your good ol' buddy Paul. It's nothing either really good or bad. It's just life in general, which always speeds up and slows down with cyclical regularity. I'll be contributing more here in time. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 am

Louisa wrote:
Lillian wrote:

I can see how these books would make someone vomit. I've read the reviews and people go, "I hate it because of the you-know-what." Could the same thing be said of Lolita? The subject of that book is not all unicorns and rainbows either.

I gotta say, FitA made me cringe in some parts. But hey, isn't it nice to try out a disturbing book once in a while?

Oh, I don't mind that it's disturbing. But what I am concerned about is that the author never really seems to reach a conclusion about what the real issue is and what stance the author is taking.
Yes, the siblings are haunted by misfortune, but is that a 'punishment' for incest? Or simply because their relatives are loathsome serpents?
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 7:20 am

I should be starting Dr. Faustus soon. I began The Count of Monte Cristo (I started it around a year ago, but developed a hate for reading on the computer, so I gave it up), again, this time on paperback. I finished A Perfect Spy, which was one of the best novels I have ever read. It was more or less flawless, in my opinion. I don't have much time, as my sociology book (which I'm also reading) is what I spend most of my brain power on these days. Right now the section I'm studying is just SCREWED UP. It defies common sense if every way pc .
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:32 pm

I've finally started "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller. I am about 80 pages into it, and while much of the book's "war is absurd" message is spot on, Heller sometimes goes a bit over the top. I will review it once I am done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm reading "Jane Austen and the Madness of Lord Byron". It's interesting and the Austen-style word usage is interesting, but I wish the author would stop inserting sentences from Austen's books.
Back to top Go down
Dormouse
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Dormouse

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 2:53 pm

@Lillian: It's probably just the author trying to show off how well he/she knows Austen's works. Sounds like a typical case of trying-too-hard.

Recently, I've finished reading "The Apple Tree" by John Galsworthy and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.

I've started Gullivers Travels but I don't really like it. I'm afraid a lot of it's satire is lost on me as I'm not living in the 1700's and a few of the political/philosophical points he's trying to make I just plain disagree with. And just as a story it's not quite exciting for me and the characters aren't very deep. (You have to remember it's not actually a novel, just a fictional travelogue.) I'll try and write a review on it sometime when I'm finished. Keep your fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 3:42 am

@Dormouse: Probably. I wish she hadn't, though, because it's good without it.

As far as Gulliver's Travels:
I liked the movie, but never the books. Jonathan Swift may be a genius, but it's lost on me.

Anyway - now reading Eoin Colfer's "Artemis Fowl" series. On book 5. Will post a review when I am done.
I also think I might reread the Hunger Games series.

How about you people?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 pm

Right now I am reading "The Metamorphoses" by Ovid. Basically Ovid, a Roman during the time of Augustus, is looking to combine the Greek mythological stories to their Roman counterparts. Like Homer, he writes in a poetic style. So far I am enjoying it. Apparently this book was quite scandalous when it was first written, and it was even banned during Victorian times. I guess the scene where Jove (Jupiter) and Juno debate who does the most work and gets the most pleasure during sex, the man or the woman, made a few eyebrows rise for its time. Razz

One thing is for certain. If you are a mortal, don't get a god or goddess mad. Ever.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Paul wrote:

One thing is for certain. If you are a mortal, don't get a god or goddess mad. Ever.

And now, in post-Percy-Jackson times, the younger generation is aware of this valuable piece of advice, too Very Happy

I admit, I have always steered clear of the Greek & Roman classics if I didn't have to read them for studying purposes. In those cases, though, I had to read mostly historians such as Herodotus and Thucydides, along with some Marcus Aurelius. This collection, though, may not be accurately depicting the literary landscape of their respective times. I did read some Sophocles, and always wanted to get to the other Greek playwrights, but somehow I never made it.

See? Another in-the-middle-of-the-year resolution. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 2:27 pm

I am also reading "Cities of the Plain" by Cormac McCarthy, the final book of the "Border Trilogy" (the other two books being "All The Pretty Horses" and "The Crossing"). Actually, I am almost finished with it. Excellent novel, but I expect no less from Mr. McCarthy. I am anxiously awaiting his newest novel, "The Passenger", to come out.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 3:43 am

I'm considering reading his books in the near future. 'Near' is when I finish the current novels I am going through, which may take rather long...
I'm most inclined to read The Road or No Country for Old Men. Which one would you recommend? Or should I try a different novel...?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 13 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next