Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Classic book quiz?

Go down 
+4
Tourterelle
Laura
Magda
BeautyBlitz
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 5:33 am

Would anyone here care to have a online quiz, where we try to guess different classic (or not) books? Say someone posts a paragraph from whatever book, and so on?
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Classic book quiz? 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 11:50 am

Sure, I doubt I'll be very good, but I'll play along.

Here is my paragraph.

Presently she began again. "I wonder if I shall fall right through the earth! How funny it'll seem to come out among the people that walk with their head downwards! The Antipathies, I think-" (she was rather glad there was no one listening, this time, as it didn't sound at all the right word) "-but I shall have to ask them what the name of the country is, you know. Please, Ma'am, is this New Zealand or Australia?" (and she tried to curtsey as she spoke-fancy curtseying as you're falling through the air! Do you think you could manage it?" "And what an ignorant little girl she'll think me! No, it'll never do to ask: perhaps I shall see it written up somewhere."
Back to top Go down

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 7:44 am

I'm guessing Alice in Wonderland or Alice through the looking glass. Something like that. I bet I'm totally off, though!
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 11:24 am

Alice in Wonderland is the correct answer Exclamation

bouncy
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 8:44 pm

"To none. No, Miss --, to none. If you will hear me through a very little more, all you can ever do for me is done. I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul. In my degradation I have not been so degraded but that the sight of you with your father, and of this home made such a home by you, has stirred old shadows that I thought had died out of me. Since I knew you, I have been troubled by a remorse that I thought would never reproach me again, and have heard whispers from old voices impelling me upward, that I thought were silent for ever. I have had unformed ideas of striving afresh, beginning anew, shaking off sloth and sensuality, and fighting out the abandoned fight. A dream, all a dream, that ends in nothing, and leaves the sleeper where he lay down, but I wish you to know that you inspired it."

I took the name out, because that might make it too obvious.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 12:10 am

Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

“Not so hasty, if you please. I have by no means done. To all the
objections I have already urged, I have still another to add. I am no
stranger to the particulars of your youngest sister ’s infamous elope-
ment. I know it all; that the young man’s marrying her was a patched-
up business, at the expence of your father and uncles. And is such a
girl to be my nephew’s sister? Is her husband, is the son of his late fa-
ther ’s steward, to be his brother? Heaven and earth!—of what are you
thinking? Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?”
“You can now have nothing further to say,” she resentfully an-
swered. “You have insulted me in every possible method. I must beg
to return to the house.”
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 12:31 am

Pride & Prejudice! ^

"The pool he had just got out of was not the only pool. There were dozens of others- a pool every few yards as far as his eyes could reach. You could almost feel the trees drinking the water up with their roots. This wood was very much alive."
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:16 am

The Magician's Nephew, by CS Lewis

She asked me, in a very soft voice, what I meant.... Then I made her understand that, where she was concerned, I was only a poor dog, ready to die for her...but that she could marry the young man when she pleased, because she had cried with me and mingled her tears with mine!..."
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 1:47 pm

The Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux. I had to blink out some parts to make it a bit of a challenge, but I think it should be really easy to guess all the same...

In another moment I had scrambled up the earthen ram- part and stood upon its crest, and the interior of the redoubt was below me. A mighty space it was, with gigantic machines here and there within it, huge mounds of material and strange shelter places. And scattered about it, some in their over- turned war-machines, some in the now rigid handling- machines, and a dozen of them stark and silent and laid in a row, were the ______--DEAD!--slain by the putrefactive and disease bacteria against which their systems were unpre- pared; slain as the ____ was being slain; slain, after all man's devices had failed, by the humblest things that God, in his wisdom, has put upon this earth.

Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 12:02 am

War of the Worlds, by H.G. Wells.

"What a consternation of soul was mine that dreary afternoon! How all my brain was in tumult, and all my heart in insurrection! Yet in what darkness, what dense ignorance, was the mental battle fought! I could not answer the ceaseless inward question--why I thus suffered; now at the distance of--I will not say how many years, I see it clearly."
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 12:06 am

Jane Eyre!

"[He] believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—to-morrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And one fine morning——So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 12:10 am

The Great Gatsby, by Scott Fitzgerald!

"I have just returned from a visit to my landlord- the solitary neighbor that I shall be troubled with. This is certainly a beautiful country! In all England, I do not believe that I could have fixed a situation so completely removed from the stir of society.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 12:57 am

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte!

"The sound of the approaching grain teams was louder, thud of big hooves on hard ground, drag of brakes and the jingle of trace chains. Men were calling back and forth from the teams."
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 12:33 pm

Of Mice and Men, by John Steinback!

"He had played about with politics, he told me, at first for the interest of them, and then because he couldn't help himself. I read him as a sharp, restless fellow, who always wanted to get down to the roots of things. He got a little further down than he wanted."
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 3:23 am

The Thirty-Nine Steps, by John Buchan.

As if his indomitable spirit had set its potency in motion, the glass blazed suddenly like a white torch in his hand. It flamed like a star that leaping from the firmament sears the dark air with intolerable light. No such terror out of heaven had ever burned in ____'s face before. The beams of it entered into her wounded head and scored it with unbearable pain, and the dreadful infection of light spread from eye to eye. She fell back beating the air with her forelegs, her sight blasted by inner lightnings, her mind in agony. Then turning her maimed head away, she rolled aside and began to crawl, claw by claw, towards the opening in the dark cliff behind.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 3:38 am

I'm not sure which LOTR book that excerpt is from. Return of the King, maybe?

"Oh, they meant to be- I know they meant to be just as good and kind as possible. And when people mean to be good to you, you don't mind very much when they're not quite- always. They had a good deal to worry them, you know. It's very trying to have a drunken husband, you see; and it must be very trying to have twins three times in succession, don't you think? But I feel sure they meant to be good to me."
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 12:41 am

Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables!

*Should you know this book, this will be very easy for you. Should you not, it won't be hard to find.*

Dantes had been flung into the sea, and was dragged into its depths by a thirty-six pound shot tied to his feet. The sea is the cemetery of the Chateau d'If.
Back to top Go down

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 6:57 am

Thanks for the easy one ... Count of Monte Cristo ... lol

Wow, I'm actually surprised people are interested in this thread I started.

Try this

But in the end, I didn't kill my sister. She did it all by herself. At least, that's what I tell myself.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 6:00 pm

My sister's keeper

Now, by my mother's son, and that's myself,
It shall be moon, or star, or what I list,
Or ere I journey to your father's house.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 4:06 am

The Taming of the Shrew!

"In the deep shade, at the farther end of the room, a figure ran backwards and forwards. What it was, whether beast or human being, one could not, at first sight tell: it groveled, seemingly on all fours: it snatched and growled like some strange wild animal: but it was covered with clothing and a quantity of dark, grizzled hair wild as a mane, hid its head and face."
Back to top Go down

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 10:13 am

Wild guess ... probably wrong ... This Present Darkness?
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Since Luthien guessed and did not put up a new excerpt, I will post a new excerpt to get things going again.

I don't know how it is I seem to be always writing about myself. I mean all the time to write about other people, and I try to think about myself as little as possible, and I am sure, when I find myself coming into the story again, I am really vexed and say, "Dear, dear, you tiresome little creature, I wish you wouldn't!" but it is all of no use. I hope any one who may read what I write will understand that if these pages contain a great deal about me, I can only suppose it must be because I have really something to do with them and can't be kept out.

My darling and I read together, and worked, and practised, and found so much employment for our time that the winter days flew by us like bright-winged birds. Generally in the afternoons, and always in the evenings, Richard gave us his company. Although he was one of the most restless creatures in the world, he certainly was very fond of our society.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Dickens' "Bleak House"

One morning, when Gregor Samsa woke from troubled dreams, he found
himself transformed in his bed into a horrible vermin.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Kafka's Metamorphasis.

Three young men stood together on a wharf one bright October day awaiting the arrival of an ocean steamer with an impatience which found a vent in lively skirmishes with a small lad, who pervaded the premises like a will-o'-the-wisp and afforded much amusement to the other groups assembled there.

"They are the Campbells, waiting for their cousin, who has been abroad several years with her uncle, the doctor," whispered one lady to another as the handsomest of the young men touched his hat to her as he passed, lugging the boy, whom he had just rescued from a little expedition down among the piles.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Rose in Bloom, by Louisa May Alcott

It was on a dreary night of November, that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils. With an anxiety that almost amounted to agony, I collected the instruments of life around me, that I might infuse a spark of being into the lifeless thing that lay at my feet. It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my cnadle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed har, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Classic book quiz? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic book quiz?   Classic book quiz? Empty

Back to top Go down

Classic book quiz?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next