Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage

What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 9:48 am

Wow, Jane, congrats on finishing Hunchback. The last 50 pages, I agree, were the best. Very moving.
I love Gemma Doyle - was this your first time?
Catcher in the Rye? Overrated. To me, it's like the emo boy's version of chick lit. All the cliche "My life sucks, everyone else sucks" blah. Irritates the heck out of me.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 12:11 pm

I am almost finished with Frankenstein. It's not a bad book, but it's taken me a while to plow through it. Mostly because I can't stand the MC, Victor Frankenstein. I will post a review when I am done.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:57 am

The author of Catcher in the Rye just died. Weird coincidence. I might read it sometime.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 am

ʆʘυɨʂɑ wrote:
The author of Catcher in the Rye just died. Weird coincidence. I might read it sometime.

Really? Salinger died? That is very sad... Sad

Edit. So, here are the details - I googled it to see for myself. I admit I didn't like much of his work, but then again, few writers produce such memorable characters!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/29/MN431BP3BI.DTL&type=printable
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 12:02 pm

ʆʘυɨʂɑ wrote:

Strangely, I have never read that book, either. I have heard so much about it (mostly bad), but I suppose some time I will pick it up and see for myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 3:19 pm

I've been hearing a lot about the Percy Jackson series. Do you people think I should check it out. From looking at the movie posters, it looks very much like a Harry Potter wannabe. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Katelyn Leclerq wrote:
I've been hearing a lot about the Percy Jackson series. Do you people think I should check it out. From looking at the movie posters, it looks very much like a Harry Potter wannabe. Neutral

...which wouldn't be half bad, imho... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 12:16 am

I have a copy of Les Miserables that keeps staring me in the face, demanding to know when I'm going to crack it open. I know many here have enjoyed this book, and I did like "Hunchback" a great deal, but I'm like the little kid at the end of the pool, trying to build his courage to jump in the deep end, wary even though a parent is there waiting to catch me. Here I go now, here I go...whoops, wait a minute, now here I go... Razz
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 11:56 am

Have officially started Les Miserables. I have 1500 pages staring me in the face. This may take some time. Hopefully it is as good as I have heard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Do keep us posted on that, Paul. I really do want to know if Les Miserables is worth reading.

While we're waiting, does anyone have anything to recommend me? I want something ..... anything ....
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Katelyn Leclerq wrote:
Do keep us posted on that, Paul. I really do want to know if Les Miserables is worth reading.

While we're waiting, does anyone have anything to recommend me? I want something ..... anything ....

How about A Tree Grows In Brooklyn? I read it last month, and I absolutely loved it. One of my favorites now.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 12:06 pm

I am about 300 pages into Les Miserables. After a bit of a slow start, it has gotten quite good. This is what novel writing used to be. This is what has been sacrificed in our era of instant gratification and the written word as junk food for the mind. No wonder I am gravitating back toward the classics.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 3:29 pm

I have just finished Winnie the Pooh - I know, it is a children's book, but I needed something silly and fun. And seriously, most of it has a smartness that you don't find in today's children's fiction.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 8:37 pm

One thing I have noticed about Les Miserables is that, just like in War and Peace, the spectre of Napoleon is never far away. In War and Peace Napoleon was a major character, and in Les Miserables he is constantly alluded to and the battle of Waterloo is described in depth. It goes to show just how much Napoleon affected 19th century Europe and how his presence was felt and written about by the top European authors even decades after his death.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 10:56 am

I have just finished "Summer Lightning", another of Tamara McKinley's Australian family sagas. Gee, I love her work - in a way, they are all the same, only completely different.

For a change, I've returned to my "Asian" library section. I am now reading "Empress" by Evelyne McCune, an account of the life of Empress Wu Jao who lived during the early Middle Ages. It's heavy stuff, and I'm having trouble getting into it... but once I get into the flow, it's hard to put down.

Which reminds me. I wanted to get a copy of "Steppenwolf" by Hermann Hesse. Anyone ever read any Hesse?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 3:16 pm

Grace wrote:
I have just finished "Summer Lightning", another of Tamara McKinley's Australian family sagas. Gee, I love her work - in a way, they are all the same, only completely different.

For a change, I've returned to my "Asian" library section. I am now reading "Empress" by Evelyne McCune, an account of the life of Empress Wu Jao who lived during the early Middle Ages. It's heavy stuff, and I'm having trouble getting into it... but once I get into the flow, it's hard to put down.

Which reminds me. I wanted to get a copy of "Steppenwolf" by Hermann Hesse. Anyone ever read any Hesse?

I've heard of Hesse, of course, and "Steppenwolf" is on my to-read list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 10:55 pm

I've just started a book called Half the Sky. It's about women's oppression all over the world, and while I am interested in the issues brought up, I think the authors are trying more to evoke your sympathy rather than state the facts.

After this, it's either The Three Musteteers or another attempt at As I Lay Dying.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 10:58 am

Jane wrote:
I've just started a book called Half the Sky. It's about women's oppression all over the world, and while I am interested in the issues brought up, I think the authors are trying more to evoke your sympathy rather than state the facts.

After this, it's either The Three Musteteers or another attempt at As I Lay Dying.

Go with Dumas. I hate Faulkner with a passion after having been forced to fight my way through "The Sound and the Fury". Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 12:03 pm

Grace wrote:
Jane wrote:

Go with Dumas. I hate Faulkner with a passion after having been forced to fight my way through "The Sound and the Fury". Smile

I haven't read any of Faulkner's novels, but I have read a number of his short stories. His style is definitely an acquired taste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 9:09 am

Thanks for the recommendations, people. I definitely will check out a Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

I love Winnie the Pooh! I am a huge fan of classic children's stories.

I will read Les MIserables when I have time.

Why is Faulkner an acquired taste? I've never read any of his stuff ... but he seemed to be pretty antagonistic in some of his quotes that I find online.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 9:55 pm

I've put Wu Jao on ice. My mother introduced me to Kay Hooper today - crime fiction meets mystery. Love the stuff, I really can't put it down. And when my mother likes a writer, she buys their entire work - i.e. I have loads to do! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Katelyn Leclerq wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations, people. I definitely will check out a Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

I love Winnie the Pooh! I am a huge fan of classic children's stories.

I will read Les MIserables when I have time.

Why is Faulkner an acquired taste? I've never read any of his stuff ... but he seemed to be pretty antagonistic in some of his quotes that I find online.

Faulkner is a very dark, grotesque writer. His style is commonly referred to here in America as Southern Gothic, as many of his stories are set in the southern states. Faulkner likes to explore the violence, corruption, and mental illness behind the "proper image" many people put up, especially in relation to families. His prose takes some getting used to. One of his better known short stories is "A Rose For Emily". As I said, I have never read any of his novels, so I do not know how much they differ from his shorter works.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Well, I am 1000 pages into Les Miserables. It seems to be taking me forever to chug through this book. I do enjoy the story, but when Hugo goes off on one of his many tangents it really bogs things down and my interest wanes. Still, I will finish it. I find it interesting, concerning the romance between Marius and Cosette, how stalking is considered an acceptable part of courtship. If Marius did this today he would have a restraining order slapped on him.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 11:22 am

Paul wrote:
Well, I am 1000 pages into Les Miserables. It seems to be taking me forever to chug through this book. I do enjoy the story, but when Hugo goes off on one of his many tangents it really bogs things down and my interest wanes. Still, I will finish it. I find it interesting, concerning the romance between Marius and Cosette, how stalking is considered an acceptable part of courtship. If Marius did this today he would have a restraining order slapped on him.

Well, I went to see the musical, then decided that I wouldn't read the book. The shortened version on stage had its looooong moments already, and I feared that the novel would have much more of the redundant stuff Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 4:39 am

Paul wrote:

Hugo does tend to do that. Smile What is he blathering on about? Still architecture?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 9 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next