Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-06-27

What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Wind Up Bird Chronicles   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 2:46 pm

This weekend I started Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami. I have wanted to get to this one for so long, and finally found a good price for one on Ebay. Got it this weekend, and after 20 pgs I was hooked. The tone is so solid and dreamlike, just right.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 2:38 pm

Just started on Anne of the Island, one of the sequels of Anne of Green Gables. The library didn't have Anne of Avonlea. I wanted to read the sequels because Gilbert and Anne's developing romance was too cute. And I loved Gilbert Blythe in the first novel.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Now on to Anne's House of Dreams. I'm so excited!
Anne of the Island was so good! Gilbert is even more of a sweetheart. And Anne—I'm wondering what flaws she has. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Louisa Lelouch wrote:
Anne of the Island was so good! Gilbert is even more of a sweetheart. And Anne—I'm wondering what flaws she has. Very Happy

I LOVE Anne's House of Dreams!!!!! You'll adore Captain Jim, I'm sure.

Anne has flaws...

First and foremost is acting WITHOUT thinking...that has always been her major downfall.
Her mouth tends to run away from her, a lot.
She can't help meddleing sometimes, even when she KNOWS she should stay out of it.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Queen Rhodantia wrote:
Louisa Lelouch wrote:

I LOVE Anne's House of Dreams!!!!! You'll adore Captain Jim, I'm sure.

Anne has flaws...

First and foremost is acting WITHOUT thinking...that has always been her major downfall.
Her mouth tends to run away from her, a lot.
She can't help meddleing sometimes, even when she KNOWS she should stay out of it.

I'll read it tonight. Very Happy When I heard of Captain Jim, he reminded me of Matthew Cuthbert. (Sigh, he was very lovable, too.)
But as she grew up, she hasn't been much of a chatterer or a meddler. I like how Miss Montgomery writes out the time moving without it being too rushed or too dragging. I have read two Anne books now and it seems like as Anne gets older, I'm getting older as well. Laughing
It's no wonder Mark Twain put Anne in league with Lewis Carroll's Alice.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 1:09 am

I just spend way too much money at Barnes and Noble. I got three books: The Bell Jar, The Book Thief, and A Long Way Gone. Anyone read these? I'd like to know whether they're good or not.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 1:16 am

Allison wrote:
I just spend way too much money at Barnes and Noble. I got three books: The Bell Jar, The Book Thief, and A Long Way Gone. Anyone read these? I'd like to know whether they're good or not.

I've read The Bell Jar and The Book Thief, but not A Long Way Gone.

I read The Bell Jar years ago, when I was a preteen. I remember it disturbed me at the time, but I was young, so it's understandable. I think you'll like it, though; you're older than I was when I read it, so you'll understand better, too.

The Book Thief I read earlier this year, and I loved it. Markus Zusak's writing style is a little choppy, but his stories are great, so it makes up for it.
The Book Thief will make you cry, by the way. I remember reading it in study hall, and I was trying not to cry, because I didn't want to look bizarre.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 1:02 pm

I have just started reading "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Unbelievably, this is my first Hemingway novel. I think I waited this long because I've read a few short stories by him that did not impress me. I am about 50 pages into it. It is about an American (I think he is American, anyway, although that has not been made clear) fighting on the side of the partisans during the Spanish Civil War in the 1930's. So far I am enjoying it. Has anybody else here read any Hemingway?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 1:27 pm

Paul wrote:
I have just started reading "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Unbelievably, this is my first Hemingway novel. I think I waited this long because I've read a few short stories by him that did not impress me. I am about 50 pages into it. It is about an American (I think he is American, anyway, although that has not been made clear) fighting on the side of the partisans during the Spanish Civil War in the 1930's. So far I am enjoying it. Has anybody else here read any Hemingway?

Yes, I have - "Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises". To be honest, in my personal little opinion, Hemingway is a sottish, misogynist asshole with a turn for writing stories about precisely this. I did a calculation, too - if the characters actually drank as much as he says, and in the time he specifies, they would be dead by page 30. (Not that I would have missed them very much.) My father just gave me "The Old Man and the Sea", and I am ready to give it a shot. After all, Hemingway is supposed to be one of the greatest novelists of the 20th century, so his books cannot all be crappy, can they? Anyway... let me know how you like him, maybe that will be the incentive I need Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

PostSubject: Hemmingway   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 2:18 pm

Paul wrote:

It's more of a novella, I guess, but I recently reread The Old Man and The Sea. I think this is an example of one of Hemmingway's talents, being how he can create a descriptive and effective story with such simple sentences and words.

"Everything about him was old except his eyes and they were the same color as the sea and were cheerful and undefeated."

I really like his style; nearly each simple sentence on its own is powerful, even though he uses a very simple vocabulary (most words in the story are 1 or 2 syllables) and I didn't have to pull out the dictionary once in spite of my own limited vocabulary.

**On another interesting note, "The Old Man and the Sea", while very engaging, is also a very straightforward story. Hemmingway was reported to have agressively defended his story as having face value only; he says it was not a parable or symbolic of anything else. Yet, literary scholars have analyzed it for some time, and have found a "deeper" story or parable as intense as the meaning of God within the story.

It raises an interesting point regarding stories that are symbolic or supposedly have a deeper meaning. I think a lot of stories, even if they weren't intended to, could be analyzed and analyzed again until someone can "find" a deeper meaning or symbology within it. While Hemmingway wouldn't accept this, I wonder how many other authors have written a story meant to be taken at face value, then someone claims to have found a greater meaning within it, and the author goes along with it saying "ahh, sure, yah, that is what I meant when I wrote that...". Just a thought.

Last edited by Spec Tac on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

PostSubject: Kafka   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 2:22 pm

I just started reading "The Trial" by Franz Kafka. "The Metamorphisis" is the only other Kafka story I have read.

I picked this up, though, because I recently finished "Wind Up Bird Chronicles" by Huraki Murakami, which is now one of my most favorite books of all time. And, Murakami is heavily influenced by Franz Kafka, so I had to take a look for myself.

I'm only in 50 pages or so, but already I get the clearly communicated "surreal" or "dreamlike" feeling that came through very well in Murakami's work as well, which has me hooked.

Anyone else a Kafka fan?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 4:36 pm

Yes, I am! I had to read "Metamorphosis" in school, and hated it, but when I reread it later, I liked it a lot. I also read a couple of his short stories. "The penal colony" I remember best - I nearly choked with disgust when reading it.
Back to top Go down
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

PostSubject: Buddy Reading   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Laura wrote:
Yes, I am! I had to read "Metamorphosis" in school, and hated it, but when I reread it later, I liked it a lot. I also read a couple of his short stories. "The penal colony" I remember best - I nearly choked with disgust when reading it.

Laura, how often do you have a "Buddy Reading" post going on, as you do now with The Great Gatsby?

Im about 100 pages in to The Trial now, and it is very engaging, but also very strange and open for interpretation, especially as a parable. Because of that I thought it might make a great book for a group to go through. Its a relatively quick read as well.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Spec Tac wrote:
Laura wrote:

Laura, how often do you have a "Buddy Reading" post going on, as you do now with The Great Gatsby?

Im about 100 pages in to The Trial now, and it is very engaging, but also very strange and open for interpretation, especially as a parable. Because of that I thought it might make a great book for a group to go through. Its a relatively quick read as well.

This is our second attempt. We had a go on the "Phantom of the Opera" (I am still stuck somewhere around the middle, but I keep going). If you want to suggest it to the group, go ahead. I would suggest placing it after Gatsby has been finished, though. I think I recall that Kafka's work is largely available on Gutenberg, isn't it? So at least we would not have much trouble getting a hold of a copy each.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 am

I finished, I finished! It took weeks, and a couple failed attempts, but I finally finished Great Expectations. It feel good to be done with that thing.

I'm now reading The Book Thief. I get the feeling this isn't going to be a happy book. The writing is great, though, and I love the fact that Death is narrating. I am hooked.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 5:28 am

Allison wrote:
I finished, I finished! It took weeks, and a couple failed attempts, but I finally finished Great Expectations. It feel good to be done with that thing.

Me too! Isn't it great! Now if I could just finish the work that comes after.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 1:43 pm

I started A Long Way Gone today. This is going to be painful to read. The story, so far, is great. The writing fails. His sentences are choppy, he rambles, and there is no imagery whatsoever. After reading The Book Thief, which is positively stuffed with poetic descriptions, this is quite a let down.
Back to top Go down
Spec Tac
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

PostSubject: New Book   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 2:03 pm

This weekend I started "Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami. This is my second Murakami novel after having read "Wind Up Bird Chronicles" a few months ago. It seems Murakami is quickly becoming one of my favorite modern authors.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 12:54 pm

I have (finally) finished Hemingway's "For Whom The Bell Tolls". I've heard a lot of bad things about Hemingway, and I must admit I have not enjoyed the few short stories of his that I have read, but the novel was actually pretty good. His depictions of female characters were a bit misogynistic, but I've read far worse as far as that goes. His depictions of wartime cruelty are convincing. The main character, Robert Jordan, is actually one you can root for.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 6:42 pm

Gone With the Wind.
Back to top Go down
lintu
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
lintu

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Since I've been stuck in the middle of nowhere on tedious holidays for the past... Two weeks. I've been rereading Terry Pratchett's Jingo and The Last Continent books over and over again. Stupid little me thought I could read them for three days and get away with it...
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 9:15 pm

We've started reading The Crucible by Arthur Miller in my English class. I know she's evil and all, but I kind of like Abigail. I like the play in general, of course, but Abigail might just be my favorite villainess.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Jane wrote:
We've started reading The Crucible by Arthur Miller in my English class. I know she's evil and all, but I kind of like Abigail. I like the play in general, of course, but Abigail might just be my favorite villainess.

I agree - I always liked her, too. Though I admit, I have learned to like Mary Warren in a way. She may be whiny, weak and treacherous... oh wait. I don't like her.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 8:17 pm

I'm reading Tess of D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I'm around page fifty and haven't been able to get into it, though.

One book I recently read that I liked was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm going to see a play based on it in a couple hours. I'm so excited, even if I heard in reviews that McMurphy wasn't so good.

Solveig, really? I always end up liking characters I play on some level, and I've played some pretty unlikable characters.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Magda wrote:
I'm reading Tess of D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I'm around page fifty and haven't been able to get into it, though.

One book I recently read that I liked was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm going to see a play based on it in a couple hours. I'm so excited, even if I heard in reviews that McMurphy wasn't so good.

Solveig, really? I always end up liking characters I play on some level, and I've played some pretty unlikable characters.

Well. At first I did not like her, then I did like her, and in the end, I began to dislike her again...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 6 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next