Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I have just finished my first Icelandic crime novel, which was a huge disappointment. I had read some Scandinavian crime fiction before that, and I have never been a huge fan, but I thought I'd give it a shot. It was the eighth installment of Arnaldur Indridason's Erlendur series, called "Hypothermia". The thing is that it's technically not about a crime. It is about a suicide, and the events that led to it. And that's basically it. It was difficult to keep going because after about a third of it & no "real" crime in sight, I thought about giving up. I did finish it, though, and guess what? There wasn't any actual crime involved at all, at least not in the legal sense of the word. Yay.

Right now I'm about to finish "In Wahrheit wird viel mehr gelogen" by Kerstin Gier. (I wanted to post its English name, because I would like to recommend it, but it turned out that the only foreign language into which it has been translated until now is Turkish, and I doubt that this information would be of much use...) I really like it, though the story is rather simple, and the style is decidedly chick-lit. Carolin's husband has just died, and she is trying to come to terms with it. And that's about it. I have another sixty or so pages, but I am positive that she is going to fall in love with the cute pharmacist she has just met.

Oh, and I've ordered "Lysistrate". Time to do something about my classical education.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:47 pm

March Hare wrote:
I'm considering reading his books in the near future. 'Near' is when I finish the current novels I am going through, which may take rather long...
I'm most inclined to read The Road or No Country for Old Men. Which one would you recommend? Or should I try a different novel...?

Both are great stand-alone novels. "The Road" is set in America after an unexplained cataclysmic event that has essentially wiped out civilization. A man and his young son journey across a grey, overcast, empty landscape. One of the dangers they must try to avoid are roving bands of cannibals (as regular food, and even wild game, are almost nonexistent). The story is visceral, disturbing, and very effective. "No Country" is set in the American Southwest during the 1980's. It involves a man who happens across a cache of money in a barren area loaded with bodies from a drug deal gone bad shootout. He takes the money and finds himself pursued by a coldly effective hitman named Anton Chigurh. Throughout there is an aging sheriff who attempts to keep the inevitable from happening. This book is very violent, but very good. I recommend them both.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks Paul. I can find the Road at the local bookstore, but there is an annual flea market coming up, with lots of novels...I'll see what I can scrounge there...
Of course, this is all theoretical. I simply don't have time for book reading these days. I'll buy a lot of books, and hopefully finish them sometime before December 21, 2012.
Sorry about the Icelandic crime novel being a let down. If you are searching for something interesting, I recommend the odd short story by G.K. Chesterton...
Just a thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 am

I second the GK Chesterton recommendation, Laura.

Just finished reading "Anne of the Island" by LM Montgomery ... I think that's the third book in the "Anne" series. This is my first time, and Anne appeals to me so much as a happy, spirited girl, unwilling to let the world or its unkindness get to her.

Also finished Angelology by Danielle Trussoni. VERY slow start, with maybe a bit too much background (then again, it is the first book in a series) but picks up nicely and ends well.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Is there any Chesterton text that you two would recommend especially?

I know about the time problem, though: I have an entire shelf that is filled with unread books, and yet I keep buying more. It's terrible, and I do need to stop that.

New resolution: No more new books until I've finished all - well, let's say, twenty of the ones I already own.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 pm

I'd start with The Innocence of Father Brown, which gives the introduction of Father Brown, the guy you never see coming to kick your butt soundly. Very Happy
Think a quiet, humble little ugly priest with a mind like Sherlock.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Lillian wrote:
I'd start with The Innocence of Father Brown, which gives the introduction of Father Brown, the guy you never see coming to kick your butt soundly. Very Happy
Think a quiet, humble little ugly priest with a mind like Sherlock.

Sounds good, I'll put it on the list!

Currently, I am devouring (there is not better word for it) "Venetia" by Georgette Heyer. I know it's pathetic and not worth my time and everthing, but the audiobook is read by the incomparable Richard Armitage, and the male lead is just sooooo hot. (I am fully aware that I sound like a 12-year-old twihard, and I apologize.) To sound a little more sophisticated, I have begun reading Francesc Miralles' "Samuel und die Liebe zu den kleinen Dingen", which for some strange reason does not seem to have an English title yet, though it's originally a Spanish novel and has been on the market for some time now. I like it so far. It deals with the sad, lonely life of a man, a loneliness which is suddenly disrupted by a very, very obstinate cat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 1:15 am

Laura wrote:

Currently, I am devouring (there is not better word for it) "Venetia" by Georgette Heyer. I know it's pathetic and not worth my time and everthing, but the audiobook is read by the incomparable Richard Armitage, and the male lead is just sooooo hot. (I am fully aware that I sound like a 12-year-old twihard, and I apologize.) To sound a little more sophisticated, I have begun reading Francesc Miralles' "Samuel und die Liebe zu den kleinen Dingen", which for some strange reason does not seem to have an English title yet, though it's originally a Spanish novel and has been on the market for some time now. I like it so far. It deals with the sad, lonely life of a man, a loneliness which is suddenly disrupted by a very, very obstinate cat.

*BOUNCES GLEEFULLY*
Glad to know I'm not the only one who had read crappy books for the sake of delicious leading characters. Haha.

- How's the "Cat" novel going? Sounds amusing.
I'm not reading anything at present. But I should. (Starts looking into endless list of 'books I should read when I have time')
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 7:59 pm

I have always wanted to read a Norman Mailer novel, just to see if all the hoopla about him has any merit. I picked up his first novel, "The Naked and the Dead". When I get to it I'll let you know what I think of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Just started: The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. Will let you know thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 12:01 am

Right now I am reading "The Naked and the Dead" by Norman Mailer. It is his first novel, published in 1948 and written while he was in his mid-twenties. In brief, it is about a group of American soldiers during World War II fighting the Japanese on a Pacific island. While I can see some obvious beginner mistakes (such as a surfeit of adverbs), the quality of his writing is apparent and I can understand how, with experience and maturity, he became a literary giant, at least in America. I think after this I will get a copy of "The Executioner's Song", which is hailed by many as being his best work. I will write a review when I am done.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 4:59 pm

I feel kind of out of place, as I have not heard of the majority of the majority of authors on this page. I guess I'm missing out on something...

I've read a few hundred pages of The Count of Monte Cristo in the past few days, and have rediscovered the joys of consistent reading from a thick novel that I absolutely love. Unfortunately, I need to stop immediately, as the time I'm spending on it is becoming apparent by my inability to keep up with my studies. I never knew reading could be so addictive...

I'm looking forward to the reviews that will be posted by you (plural usage), but I probably won't submit any 'reviews' other the type that come in the form of a recommendation. Most novels leave me with an awed feeling which means that I cannot express my thoughts on it.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:08 pm

I have started The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky. Right now it is a bit slow, but after Crime and Punishment I am willing to give this more than a fair shake.
Back to top Go down
Jen
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Jen

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-08-10

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:18 pm

I liked Crime and Punishment.. tell me how you like this one Paul.

Eeek. I got dragged into a romance series kicking and screaming.

The Dark Series by Christine Feehan. It's alright. I was thinking of starting the Game of Thrones series next.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 7:59 pm

The Game of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin is excellent. It is fantasy taken to literary levels. If you like myriad plotlines and tons of characters, all of whom are meaningful, then this is for you. While this is a fantasy, the world and the people in it act and feel very real.

Keep in mind, though, that this is still a work in progress. The next book, A Dance With Dragons, is, as far as I know, due to come out in July. Six years after the one before it, A Feast For Crows, came out. This is a long time to lose track of many aspects and characters of this series, but I intend on buying and reading Dragons as soon as it comes out regardless. And supposedly there are at least two more books after this one. Hopefully they all won't be six years apart! If so, I might be reading the last one in a nursing home.
Back to top Go down
Jen
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Jen

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptySun May 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Paul wrote:
The Game of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin is excellent. It is fantasy taken to literary levels. If you like myriad plotlines and tons of characters, all of whom are meaningful, then this is for you. While this is a fantasy, the world and the people in it act and feel very real.

Keep in mind, though, that this is still a work in progress. The next book, A Dance With Dragons, is, as far as I know, due to come out in July. Six years after the one before it, A Feast For Crows, came out. This is a long time to lose track of many aspects and characters of this series, but I intend on buying and reading Dragons as soon as it comes out regardless. And supposedly there are at least two more books after this one. Hopefully they all won't be six years apart! If so, I might be reading the last one in a nursing home.

I do like those kinds of books. It caught my attention when I saw the HBO trailer for the new series but I dont have HBO so I decided to read the books and maybe buy the series later. It looks very interesting and I can't wait to start reading it now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 10:16 am

Jen wrote:

The Dark Series by Christine Feehan. It's alright. I was thinking of starting the Game of Thrones series next.

HAHAHAHAHAAhahahahaha. Christine Feehan. Ehem. Memories.
Back to top Go down
Jen
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Jen

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyWed May 04, 2011 2:45 am

Lillian wrote:
Jen wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAAhahahahaha. Christine Feehan. Ehem. Memories.

LOL. have you read them then Lil?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 3:25 am

There was a phase in my life (circa ages 12-13) where romance novels was a active hobby of mine. During which, I found a lot of crap.
I read one book by Christine Feehan. Laughing That is all I will say. *runs away blushing*
I'VE GIVEN THEM UP! I SWEAR! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Kathryn
Kathryn

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-12-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:03 am

Don't worry Lillian, you'll be surprised at the amount of embarrassing crap I've read over the years. In fact I even own several of the ghostwritten V.C. Andrews books, which are among the worst books I've ever read. I didn't mind the ones written by the real V.C. Andrews such as Flowers in the Attic and the Casteel series, but always felt that it was really wrong of the publisher to keep releasing books using her name after she died. Especially as they are so poorly written. Sigh. End rant.

Anyway, I'm currently reading The Chrystalids by John Wyndham. Have just got to the part where the main character has discovered Sophie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.whowasabigailcarter.blogspot.com
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyFri May 06, 2011 12:04 pm

I think we all have our literary skeletons in the closet....I know I do... Embarassed
Recently I haven't had much time to read, which is regrettable. I have been making good progress through The Count of Monte Cristo. Is anyone else here a slow reader???
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyFri May 06, 2011 8:25 pm

Right now I seem to be a slow reader. I started The Brothers Karamazov on April 25, and, while the book is good, I am only about 200 pages into it (it's a 700+ page book). Like you, I haven't had much time to read lately.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 3:55 pm

I just finished Bossypants by Tina Fey (which is wonderful, hilarious, witty, and full of girl power and you need to read it right now) and I'm a midway through American Gods. Intriguing, but not addictive.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Lillian wrote:
I just finished Bossypants by Tina Fey (which is wonderful, hilarious, witty, and full of girl power and you need to read it right now) and I'm a midway through American Gods. Intriguing, but not addictive.

I don't think I've ever had a "celebrity crush" on anybody, but if I did I would probably be Tina Fey, who is both beautiful and intelligent. I will probably get to this book, but (sorry Lilli!) not right now. I am too cheap to buy it in hardcover. I will wait for it to come out in paperback.

As for "American Gods", I've read that as well and I have to agree. "Neverwhere" by Gaiman is, in my opinion, a much better novel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Paul wrote:
Lillian wrote:

I don't think I've ever had a "celebrity crush" on anybody, but if I did I would probably be Tina Fey, who is both beautiful and intelligent. I will probably get to this book, but (sorry Lilli!) not right now. I am too cheap to buy it in hardcover. I will wait for it to come out in paperback.

As for "American Gods", I've read that as well and I have to agree. "Neverwhere" by Gaiman is, in my opinion, a much better novel.

Don't worry, Paul. I'm happy you will read it - it's well worth the wait. Is American Gods worth finishing though? I'm at the part where Shadow leaves the carousel, and I have to say, it's not looking better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 14 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next