Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald Empty
PostSubject: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 9:54 pm

I thought the guidelines for our Phantom of the Opera group read were reasonable, so maybe we should follow those again.

Starting on Thursday (July 30), everyone who wants to join in should read two chapters a night of The Great Gatsby. We'll have a daily discussion the next day, so our first discussion would be this Friday. If you can't log in and participate for whatever reason, or perhaps two chapters a night doesn't work for you, it isn't a big deal. Just try to stay generally around where everybody else is reading.

Does this work for everyone? If not, go ahead and ask for changes. If so, let's get started! clapping
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 9:57 pm

So, has anyone read The Great Gatsby before? If you have, what did you think of it?

Also, has anyone read anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald before? I've read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and that was great, so I'm excited to see if TGG is just as good or better.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:26 pm

I read Gatsby at school, years ago. Then I reread it for my own students. Other than that, I have read Benjamin Button, which I liked a lot better. It seems to me that I had to grow a little older to appreciate Gatsby in its full extent, with all the emotions and associations in the text. Around age 18, I was simply unable to do that, since my language skills naturally were a lot more limited back then. I felt that the story was so entirely beyond my everyday life that I couldn't sympathise with the characters. These days, it's different. I've learned to appreciate the language in its own right, and Gatsby certainly is very poetic.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 12:01 pm

Ooooh. He wrote The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? Interesting. I saw the movie, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would love to participate, but I'm too busy. Crying or Very sad Oh well, maybe some other time.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 12:02 am

Nolofinwe wrote:
Ooooh. He wrote The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? Interesting. I saw the movie, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would love to participate, but I'm too busy. Crying or Very sad Oh well, maybe some other time.

That's okay. Next time, maybe.

So, what did everybody think of the first two chapters and the characters?
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 1:03 am

I read ahead a bit, but here's what I thought of the first two chapters:

I like the book a lot so far. The first few pages seemed slow, and I wasn't sure if it would get better. It got good fast, though. I think Nick is such a sweetheart. Hate Tom with a passion. In fact, I don't like any of the crowd that got drunk at Myrtle's apartment. Daisy seems nice, and I feel sorry for her, but she doesn't strike me as being all too bright. I like Jordan better.

I enjoy Fitzgerald's writing. Wasn't sure if I would, but I do.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 2:30 am

I can't stand both Tom and Myrtle. If it's such a pain being married to a person you dislike, end the marriage. Don't cheat on your spouse.
Daisy, though, seems okay. I don't think that she isn't smart; she's just stuck with a husband who doesn't love her. I suppose that makes her seem distant.

Don't you just love how flippantly they discuss her daughter?
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 2:27 pm

The thing is, Daisy knows all about what Tom has been doing. I cannot understand why she won't leave him.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Don't forget that we are talking about the 1920s, so divorce usually was not an option. Besides, Daisy is the type of girl who would swoon about any "bad boy".

Daisy is completely dumb. She is one of those stupid, careless characters that drive me crazy. I don't know how you can even exist being so gullible and foolish. Jordan is much better in that respect, but she is also stupid in the sense that she throws her life away by drinking and shagging half the neighbourhood.

Nick appears depressed most of the time. I really wonder if Fitzgerald wanted to portray him as mildly depressive. On the surface, he appears like a normal guy, but if you look behind the facade, you are suddenly confronted with a pessimist. Anyone agree with this perception?
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 6:44 pm

I see what you mean about Nick. I have yet to see a scene in which he is truly cheerful. He doesn't have many friends, either. I feel bad for him.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 7:07 pm

I was at the library yesterday, but the Great Gatsby was on loan. I'd love to join the next one, hopefully. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 1:56 am

Louisa Kouzuki wrote:
I was at the library yesterday, but the Great Gatsby was on loan. I'd love to join the next one, hopefully. Very Happy

You know, maybe we could do one for each season of the year. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 1:57 am

Allison wrote:
I see what you mean about Nick. I have yet to see a scene in which he is truly cheerful. He doesn't have many friends, either. I feel bad for him.

I haven't read more than the first two chapters yet (I'll get to the rest later tonight), but so far I don't see Nick as a pessimist. He just seems passive, more like a backdrop to the story than anything.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 1:18 am

How far is everybody in the book? I had to finish early so we could return it to the library, so I won't share my thoughts until I know I'm not spoiling anything for anyone.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 2:14 am

Allison wrote:
How far is everybody in the book? I had to finish early so we could return it to the library, so I won't share my thoughts until I know I'm not spoiling anything for anyone.

I should be finished by tomorrow night, so after that spoilers are okay. I think Laura is also reading, but it's a reread for her.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Just rereading and analysing the scene with Meyer Wolfsheim. I find it fascinating how Fitzgerald uses this character (and the entire scene, for that matter) to illustrate the obscure personality of Gatsby by symbols and indirect comparisons.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Are you referring to the restaurant scene or the one with Nick and Meyer towards the end of the book?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 9:12 pm

Nicholle wrote:
Are you referring to the restaurant scene or the one with Nick and Meyer towards the end of the book?

Both, in a way. I find it interesting how he mirrors Gatsby - we know he is in business somehow, but very little about his personal background. He seems to be successful, but how exactly remains in the dark. In a way, he is the image of Gatsby as he might appear if he was not so handsome and charismatic.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 9:17 pm

Laura wrote:
Nicholle wrote:

Both, in a way. I find it interesting how he mirrors Gatsby - we know he is in business somehow, but very little about his personal background. He seems to be successful, but how exactly remains in the dark. In a way, he is the image of Gatsby as he might appear if he was not so handsome and charismatic.

Meyer has been corrupt for so long, and probably started sooner, while Gatsby just fell into the business. I suppose that's why Gatsby hides it, and Meyer is more obvious about it, unintentionally or not.

But yes, that is interesting. Good insight.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 10:55 pm

So, where are you guys? Any new insights to discuss? sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald   Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald Empty

Back to top Go down

Buddy Reading: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Novels-
Jump to: