Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 12:28 pm

I just finished reading 1984 by George Orwell. What a great, thoughtful, sobering book. I wish I had read it years ago. You can very easily see society sliding into something like that.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 1:00 pm

For giggles, I purchased Justin Somper's novel "Vampirates" from Coles book store to read up in the NICU. It actually wasn't bad. A bit young for me perhaps, but I wanted something to read the required no thought. What I didn't like was the way he ended it with so much left open that you can hear the word SERIES being screamed a mile away. Other than that, it was a quick easy read which left me mildly amused. I wouldn't say you have to go out and read this book, but if you ever find yourself in a position where you need a book to read that requires no real effort and there is a copy handy, give it a try.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 5:55 am

Just finished watching Sweeney Todd for the first time. Bloody awful, bloody awesome. (pun totally intended). I'm looking around for the play. Anyone can say something about that? Ever read it? If so, what's your reaction.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 10:31 pm

Because I have so much spare time on my hands (note the sarcasm), I've started reading another book. Dead Aid by Dambisa Moyo basically thrashes the idea of aid to Africa in shreds. She makes a great point, though. We're actually hurting Africa and wasting billions of dollars by giving aid money. It is a really interesting argument.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:01 pm

I have just started Crime and Punishment. It started a bit slow for me, but I am about 100 pages into it and it is picking up. It is essentially, as far as I can see, a psychological study of the main character, who you would not like to have as a next-door neighbor.
Back to top Go down
xenophi1ia
xenophi1ia

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 2:45 am

I'm reading two books currently, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. The former I've read before, but it was a Great Illustrated Classics version in 5th grade. So this time, I'm reading the full version. I still love it the same though Very Happy

We read The Pearl by Steinbeck in English class in the beginning of school, and I really liked his writing style. Of Mice and Men is a beautiful told story, Lenny is my favorite so far! It's a pretty short book, I'm almost finished!

Oh, and also; I so agree with you Paul, about Moby Dick. Melville is really detailed with his writing, and I never knew, before this, that something could be so challenging and boring at the same time!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 3:56 am

Xeno! Great to see you back! I hope you have the time to come back more often! I realize that life is busy for everyone, including you, but I am very glad to see you here. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Yaaay, what a wonderful Christmas present ... all these people coming back to the forum.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 12:55 pm

xenophi1ia wrote:
I'm reading two books currently, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. The former I've read before, but it was a Great Illustrated Classics version in 5th grade. So this time, I'm reading the full version. I still love it the same though Very Happy

We read The Pearl by Steinbeck in English class in the beginning of school, and I really liked his writing style. Of Mice and Men is a beautiful told story, Lenny is my favorite so far! It's a pretty short book, I'm almost finished!

Oh, and also; I so agree with you Paul, about Moby Dick. Melville is really detailed with his writing, and I never knew, before this, that something could be so challenging and boring at the same time!

Hey Xeno, good to see you again! Smile I agree with you about "Of Mice and Men". It is a wonderful novel, although extremely sad - and the character of Lennie ist portrayed in a way that is really unusual. I know of few mentally disabled characters in literature that are not portrayed in a condescending or belittling way. Lennie is one of the rare exceptions.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Among other books, I'm reading Wuthering Heights at the moment, for my AP English class. I read some of the book years ago, and I now believe I was too young to appreciate it; I disliked it then. Now, I see its brilliance.

Not that it makes me any more fond of some of the characters, of course.

On a related note, from a comic I like to read:
http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=202

Oh, Anne. Wink
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 6:22 pm

I finished Gone With the Wind two nights ago, and my goodness, it is a book worthy of much praise and awards.
I wish I could turn back time and save Margaret Mitchell from getting hit by that taxicab. If she was still alive, there would probably be a sequel. I know there's a GWtW sequel, "Scarlett", but God knows the writing isn't as good as the original.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 3:35 am

Just finished The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult, in the middle of 1984 for the first time.

On the Tenth Circle: Good beginning, but filled with unnecessary twists and unexplained actions. Inconclusive ending. So far, my least favorite Picoult piece.

1984 so far: Great, but I know the ending. That kind of spoils it. It's hard to root for characters that <SPOILERS!!!>
you know will lose utterly and completely. Seems like suicide is the only way out - complete and utter victory. It's so sad, that suicide would be an answer, but in 1984, it seems like it. Better than being forced to betray and renounce everything.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 7:14 pm

I gotta find a decent book soon. Right now I am reading a standard action/thriller someone lent me called "The Charlemagne Pursuit". It sounds more interesting than it really is.

It's time for a little adjustment in my reading habits.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Well, I finished the so-called thriller and have now started "All Quiet on the Western Front" by Erich Maria Remarque. I have higher hopes for this one than I did for the last one. When I finish I will post a review. Smile
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 pm

Paul wrote:
Well, I finished the so-called thriller and have now started "All Quiet on the Western Front" by Erich Maria Remarque. I have higher hopes for this one than I did for the last one. When I finish I will post a review. Smile

That is one of those books that I love and hate at the same time. I had to read it in two days because I realized I would not be able to stand it any longer. Remarque has a way of writing that gave me the feeling I could hear the soldiers scream.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:01 pm

I am a little more than halfway through "All Quiet". As with any book that has been translated into English from its original language, I keep wondering just how much got lost in the translation. Granted, it is a superior book. The carnage on the battlefield is depicted with unflinching vividness. The alienation the MC feels from civilians and new recruits is convincing. But I still wonder how much of the power has been lost.

I imagine you read it in its original German, Laura. Do you feel that the full impact cannot help but be diluted with a translation into another language?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Paul wrote:
I am a little more than halfway through "All Quiet". As with any book that has been translated into English from its original language, I keep wondering just how much got lost in the translation. Granted, it is a superior book. The carnage on the battlefield is depicted with unflinching vividness. The alienation the MC feels from civilians and new recruits is convincing. But I still wonder how much of the power has been lost.

I imagine you read it in its original German, Laura. Do you feel that the full impact cannot help but be diluted with a translation into another language?

That depends very much on the person who translated it. Sometimes, a good translation can even add to the original meaning, but more often than not, a text necessarily loses some of its meaning while being translated. I found it exceptionally chilling and scary, and I cried in the end.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Just finished 1984. Total masterpiece. But a sad one, all the same. But brilliance, unadulterated brilliance shimmers through every page.

Do you have any recommendations for me to read?

Oh, and I also just finished the Sookie Stackhouse series. Razz
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Katelyn Leclerq wrote:
Just finished 1984. Total masterpiece. But a sad one, all the same. But brilliance, unadulterated brilliance shimmers through every page.

Do you have any recommendations for me to read?

Oh, and I also just finished the Sookie Stackhouse series. Razz

I agree, 1984 was a masterpiece. I'm glad you got to it. As for something else, I'm not sure what you have already read. Animal Farm, while not quite as good as 1984, is still a worthwhile Orwell novel. Crime and Punishment is also excellent, and so is the book I just finished, All Quiet on the Western Front.

Sookie Sookie Sookie Sookie...
Sorry, couldn't help myself. Razz
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 pm

My sister borrowed Frankenstein, Dracula and The Crucible, but realized she didn't need them anymore, so I took them off her hands because these were books I was planning to read anyway.
I know Laura and Nicholle have read Frankenstein, but both differed in their opinions. Has anyone read Dracula? I think Paul has.
The Crucible is something I have wanted to read as well. Anyone?

Ugh, *shoves the three books next to the other three books I haven't finished reading*
One day, I am taking a couple of weeks days off from the computer and just read until my eyes evaporate. I am completely off schedule. Razz
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 7:50 pm

I did read Dracula, many years ago. I don't remember any of the details, but I do remember that it seemed to be a pretty good book.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 12:43 am

I have finally gotten to Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. I know that a couple of you loved it but one of you (Laura, I believe) was not fond of it at all. I am about forty pages into it, and so far it seems to be good. We'll see!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 11:44 am

Paul wrote:
I have finally gotten to Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. I know that a couple of you loved it but one of you (Laura, I believe) was not fond of it at all. I am about forty pages into it, and so far it seems to be good. We'll see!

It's true, I couldn't stand it. I had to force my way through it for a course on gothic literature, and it really bored the hell out of me Smile
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Finally finished Hunchback. Last 50 pages: awesome. Everything else: way too slow.

Also finished Gemma Doyle series and loved it.

Now reader Catcher in the Rye. Hate it so far.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Jane wrote:
Finally finished Hunchback. Last 50 pages: awesome. Everything else: way too slow.

Also finished Gemma Doyle series and loved it.

Now reader Catcher in the Rye. Hate it so far.

Somewhere around page 100, you'll find yourself wsnting to grab into the book and shake Holden Caulfield for being such a good-for-nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 8 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next