Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+24
Just Like That
jocelynclaire
Jen
Eden
xenophi1ia
lintu
Spec Tac
Paul
Magda
Louisa
caring carer
Jane
Zara Mikazuki
March Hare
Medusa
Goldfish
denizenofevil
Cereal P!NK
Epiphany
Kelsey
Tourterelle
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:03 am

Started The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Extremely interesting concept and it's easy to get into, and surprisingly easy to follow. The writing's not fantastic and there are lapses into chick-novel mode, but otherwise it's very good.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:08 am

Rhea wrote:
Started The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Extremely interesting concept and it's easy to get into, and surprisingly easy to follow. The writing's not fantastic and there are lapses into chick-novel mode, but otherwise it's very good.

That's funny, I just finished it about a week ago. It was a page-turner, but I'm not into chick-lit, so some parts were too much. It's good overall, though. You'll like it.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 12:24 am

A Long Way Gone actually turned out to be better than I thought it would be. The middle, which was arguably the most interesting part, had me crying.

I'm now reading The Bell Jar. Love the writing, but I think I have too much in common with Esther.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 6:31 am

The Likeness by Tana French ... same author of Into the Woods. Anyone?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 11:34 am

In my attempt to catch up with everybody here on the decent literature list as opposed to the mind-candy pulp novel list, I have read Animal Farm and Slaughterhouse-Five. I polished off Animal Farm in one day, and Slaughterhouse-Five in two. Even though I love the feel of a good, thick book in my hands, these reminded me that a book doesn't have to weigh as much as a sack of potatoes to be good. I enjoyed them both, though the constant repetition of "so it goes" in Vonnegut's novel whenever death was referenced did annoy me after the first few pages.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Paul wrote:
In my attempt to catch up with everybody here on the decent literature list as opposed to the mind-candy pulp novel list, I have read Animal Farm and Slaughterhouse-Five. I polished off Animal Farm in one day, and Slaughterhouse-Five in two. Even though I love the feel of a good, thick book in my hands, these reminded me that a book doesn't have to weigh as much as a sack of potatoes to be good. I enjoyed them both, though the constant repetition of "so it goes" in Vonnegut's novel whenever death was referenced did annoy me after the first few pages.

I know the feeling - the inflationary use of "depressed" in "Catcher in the Rye" annoyed me, too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 7:54 pm

I finished The Princess Bride today, and I loved it. The only things that irked me were Goldman's constant interruptions, especially considering I disliked his personality, and Buttercup's Baby. By all means, skip Buttercup's Baby if you ever read The Princess Bride. It just soured the ending.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 4:16 pm

I have just started "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. I am only a few pages along, but I am having a bit of a tough time getting into it. I've heard many good things about this book, though, so I will plow on.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Paul wrote:
I have just started "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. I am only a few pages along, but I am having a bit of a tough time getting into it. I've heard many good things about this book, though, so I will plow on.

I really enjoyed this one. Maybe not as good as 1984, but still an interesting and quick sci-fi read.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 10:58 am

Jane wrote:
Paul wrote:

I really enjoyed this one. Maybe not as good as 1984, but still an interesting and quick sci-fi read.

Actually, now that I have gotten a bit further into it I am finding myself enjoying it more. It is actually pretty amazing how similar Bradbury's world is to our instant gratification-seeking, Internet-centric own. Even now there are calls to eliminate paper books in favor of electronic ones. I know this is based (supposedly) on environmental conservation efforts, but as for me, to borrow a quote from Charlton Heston when he was talking about guns, you can take my paper book away from me when you pry it out of my cold, dead hand.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 12:28 pm

I finished Fahrenheit 451, and I did enjoy it. Now I am wondering what to read next. Probably "Fatal Revenant" by Stephen R. Donaldson, book 2 of his new fantasy series. I have a few books at home I need to catch up on.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 6:00 am

I'm still on Gone With the Wind. I think it's going to be nearly 2 months now since I borrowed the book. I'm not having a hard time with it, I just have other things I prefer to read and do. But I really love it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Tigermilk wrote:
I finished The Princess Bride today, and I loved it. The only things that irked me were Goldman's constant interruptions, especially considering I disliked his personality, and Buttercup's Baby. By all means, skip Buttercup's Baby if you ever read The Princess Bride. It just soured the ending.

I know. Ew, and then you find out it's a dream, and the author is like, "muahahaha".

I adore it in general though. I kinda liked the ending, though. Princess Bride to me is sort of satire on all fairy dreamy tales.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 11:12 am

I'm doing the Count of Monte Cristo right now ... did I say that already? Anyways, love it. Love the 'ma foi!'s'
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 10:34 pm

Picked up Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig from the library today. It's a nice, easy read. Right now I'm learning this authors ideas on how Rhett Butler became who he is. Hopefully he'll become the one I'm familiar with and remain true to the Gone with the Wind Rhett Butler I "know" and love.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 3:33 pm

I alternate between all the stuff I have to read for my new paper, and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" for the buddy read.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 4:00 am

Right now, for my science/humanities intro to research class, I'm reading Possession: A Romance by AS Byatt. It was written in 1990 and I just started it, but it looks interesting enough. We'll have to see how it goes. The summary was good enough for me to pick that one book out of the 6 I was given to choose from.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:11 pm

I have just started a book I have been meaning to get to for years: "Moby Dick".

I had heard plenty of reviews, both good and bad. Right now I am about 100 pages into it. I have yet to meet Captain Ahab, but so far the book is not as dry or pedantic as I thought it might be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 7:22 am

Put "Moby Dick" on the list of books I'll never read. No offense, Paul. I actually admire you. But about a whaling boat? I'll pass.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Athena wrote:
Put "Moby Dick" on the list of books I'll never read. No offense, Paul. I actually admire you. But about a whaling boat? I'll pass.

Actually, it starting to wear on me a bit. Melville likes to go into detail about all the different types of whales out there, and describe every bit of life on a whaling vessel. I got over that hump, only to find he likes for his characters to have "asides" with dialogue, like Shakespeare. Well, I'll keep pushing through and hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 2:26 pm

The casual racism in Moby Dick is a peculiar thing. Not because it is coming from a mid-19th century writer. That in itself is hardly surprising. What amazes me is how Melville will go to great lengths to declare that non-whites have as much dignity, ability, and humanity as anybody else, then without missing a beat me refers to them as "savages". Then he goes on how the color white is evil in reference to Moby Dick, but is an absolute virtue for anything else in nature, including pearls, marble, japonica, and "this pre-eminence...applies to the human race itself, giving the white man ideal mastership over every dusky tribe".

Yikes.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 12:34 pm

I hate to say it, but I may soon be consigning Moby Dick to the briny deep. I am about halfway through it, and I feel no urge to read the rest. If Melville just stuck to the story it wouldn't be that bad, but he loves to go off on all sorts of tangents, including the minutia of the operation of a whaling ship, and long, detailed, boring backstories about characters I care nothing about. Which, actually, is just about every character in the book. The protagonist, Ishmael, is extremely pompous and long-winded, looking down with a condescending eye on every other character. If there was more Captain Ahab it would probably be a more interesting book, but even halfway through I have seen very little of him.

Apparently Herman Melville was part of a whaling crew at one time, so he is trying to show off how much he knows. I have a feeling that Ishmael is a direct reflection of his own personality. If so, then Melville must have been considered an insufferable bore in his day.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 11:24 am

Well, I've decided to cheat. I have skipped entire sections and gone to near the end. As I picked up the thread of the story I realized I didn't miss a thing. And, as Captain Ahab and the crew of the Pequod start to gain ground on Moby Dick, passing other ships, broken and missing men, who ran into Moby before and were now limping back, the story is getting interesting again. Now I am near the end and they are chasing the white whale. It's a shame I had to do that, but I couldn't take reading Melville's pointless off-story descriptions anymore.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 12:05 am

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Anyone here who has read it? I'm not excited for Dickens' descriptive style. Well, if I was paid by the word, I would have droned on and on, too.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 10:55 am

Louisa Ciel wrote:
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Anyone here who has read it? I'm not excited for Dickens' descriptive style. Well, if I was paid by the word, I would have droned on and on, too.

I read it a number of years back. Even though Dickens doesn't always know when to stop, A Christmas Carol is probably one of his shortest works. I think it is less than 200 pages. Unfortunately, after seeing any number of film adaptations of this story, there wasn't anything left to be surprised about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 7 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next