Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Group Reads/Buddy Reads

Go down 
+5
Tourterelle
Epiphany
Laura
March Hare
caring carer
9 posters
AuthorMessage
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Group Reads/Buddy Reads Empty
PostSubject: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 9:16 am

Are we going to do any group reading?

I have done this in other groups and I have also done a couple of buddy reads too.

I like buddy reads a lot as I get to read with a like minded person!

Just wondered! flower
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 am

None is organized, as far as I know, but I guess you could try organizing it yourself. You have my support Wink.
And no, thank God, my mom does not know what I read. Smile
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:30 pm

Go ahead Smile I'd like to do some buddy reading - f.i. with that non-fiction text by Patricia Cornwell about Jack the Ripper that I am currently (and with some effort) reading. Sometimes my stomach is just too weak to read any further.

Simply open up a thread, name the work, and collect buddies, and I'll for my part make sure to join Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Solveig wrote:
Go ahead Smile I'd like to do some buddy reading - f.i. with that non-fiction text by Patricia Cornwell about Jack the Ripper that I am currently (and with some effort) reading. Sometimes my stomach is just too weak to read any further.

Simply open up a thread, name the work, and collect buddies, and I'll for my part make sure to join Smile

Portrait of a Killer? I have that one too and would love to read it! Can I join you in reading it? Maybe we will both finish it then! Its been on my bookcase for about a year or more. bounce
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 1:01 pm

Yes, it is! w00t! Now that's great, I'll have someone to talk to about all this gruesome stuff! cheers
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Solveig wrote:
Yes, it is! w00t! Now that's great, I'll have someone to talk to about all this gruesome stuff! cheers

Will take it on my night shift tonight and start it then! sunny Looking forward to this. I like to discuss my reading matter but don't get the opportunity at home. No one else reads much at home except my son's fiance but they have gone off to see her parents in Spain for a few months. Sad
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 5:46 pm

I think a group read sounds like a great idea. That way we can open up more discussions and all be on the same page since we'll be reading the same things. I'm willing to give anything and everything a try.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 6:05 pm

I would love to participate in a group read!

elephant
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 6:43 pm

I'd like to do a group read too, although it might be a bit difficult for me to find a book I and someone else have. I can't afford Barnes and Noble anymore and the only used bookstore I can find near has been closed down longer than I've lived here. Asking if anyone knew where I could find another only got me recommendations to watch Murder She Wrote, for some unfathomable reason.

I do have a few books, though, such as Brave New World and Black Like Me and I don't know what else off the top of my head- Peter Pan, the coolest teacher I ever had had us study that and it rocked- so if anyone has any of these or can suggest another I'd be happy to join in.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Group Reads/Buddy Reads 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 11:28 pm

I sadly don't get a lot of reading done anymore since my son came along. Usually just a few pages before I pass out. But if anyone is interested in doing an Anne of Green Gables or a Dean Koontz group read count me IN. I know those books so well that I can basically skim to remind myself of the finer details, or is that cheating? I love you
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 1:39 am

Would someone mind explaining to me what group reads/buddy reads are exactly?
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:19 am

denizenofevil wrote:
Would someone mind explaining to me what group reads/buddy reads are exactly?

A bubby read is where you pick a book and you and a friend - buddy read it and discuss it. Group reads are a group of people reading the same book and discussing it. Its a great way to read a book that you find a struggle or reading a completely different author you haven't read before.
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:08 pm

That sounds like fun! I think I'll join you guys with that book about Jack the Ripper as soon as I find a copy.
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:13 pm

denizenofevil wrote:
That sounds like fun! I think I'll join you guys with that book about Jack the Ripper as soon as I find a copy.

Thats great! I am only on chapter 4 or 5 near the begining so you will soon catch up! Solveig, how are you doing with the book?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Still fighting the slight nausea left after chapter 14, the story of Annie Chapman's murder, but apart from that, I'm doing fine Smile Also, I have begun looking up a few of the painting mentioned in the book, but there are few available, sadly.
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Solveig wrote:
Still fighting the slight nausea left after chapter 14, the story of Annie Chapman's murder, but apart from that, I'm doing fine Smile Also, I have begun looking up a few of the painting mentioned in the book, but there are few available, sadly.

He is quite a horrible man! Its quite hard to read loads of pages at one go. I have never read a book like it before and I have read loads of true crime stuff over the years, even the Jack the Ripper stuff, but this is totally different.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 12:36 pm

I think I'll join the next group read, after this book. study
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 12:43 pm

I'll do a group/buddy read as well. With classics, maybe? I don't know. Has anyone read Kurt Vonnegut's works? I have Timequake and Mother Night sitting on my shelf. I, unfortunately, am not getting my steady diet of books the way I used to, so this might help me with that.

* Or someone who's interested in reading Battle Royale. Has anyone read that book before? Would anyone like to?
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Group Reads/Buddy Reads 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 5:26 pm

I found the BEST web site for reading classic novels online

www.webliterature.net

it's all completely free and LEGAL!

I will be rereading The Count of Monte Cristo if anyone would like to join me.

bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 7:14 pm

BeautyBlitz wrote:
I found the BEST web site for reading classic novels online

www.webliterature.net

it's all completely free and LEGAL!

I will be rereading The Count of Monte Cristo if anyone would like to join me.

bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy

That's actually the website I go to to read classics as well. I read Pride and Prejudice on that site, before I got the book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Group Reads/Buddy Reads   Group Reads/Buddy Reads Empty

Back to top Go down

Group Reads/Buddy Reads
Page 1 of 1