Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Damn. I hate being here alone.

Go down 
+14
Jen
Eden
denizenofevil
Magda
lintu
March Hare
Zara Mikazuki
Laura
BeautyBlitz
Tourterelle
Louisa
Jane
Paul
Kelsey
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:23 am

Stay safe, Paul! You're in my thoughts - and thanks again for the recommendation.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Update on Irene:

As of now (10:00 AM EDT), Hurricane Irene is supposed to go slightly to the west of where I am as a Level 1 hurricane (it has already made partial landfall in North Carolina). Which means, according to the news, sustained winds of 70-95 mph, falling tree limbs and power lines, and probable power outages that may last several days. So if you don't see me on her for a while, that is the reason (I have only a desktop PC, not a battery-operated laptop). I will let everyone know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 2:10 pm

Lillian wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Laura, I hope you get great fun out of dancing in the rain. Very Happy
On a unrelated note, I have to pick a book to review in AP US History, preferably one that covers a time period of US History but also one that has a strong thesis or argument, and Please No recommendations post 2000. I tried bargaining for Grapes of Wrath, but was turned down (which annoyed me very much - a classmate will be reviewing Black Hawk Down) .... So ... Thoughts? recommendations? Any nonfiction you'd like to promote that concerns US History?

One non-fiction US history book you can check out is Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis. It concerns the biggest names at the dawn of US sovereignty (Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Hamilton, Adams, etc.) and their efforts (and disagreements) as to how the new country should be formed, when the actuality of the US becoming its own country, and not just a collection of sovereign states, was far from certain. I read it a few years ago and I can recommend it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Laura, I hope you get great fun out of dancing in the rain. Very Happy
On a unrelated note, I have to pick a book to review in AP US History, preferably one that covers a time period of US History but also one that has a strong thesis or argument, and Please No recommendations post 2000. I tried bargaining for Grapes of Wrath, but was turned down (which annoyed me very much - a classmate will be reviewing Black Hawk Down) .... So ... Thoughts? recommendations? Any nonfiction you'd like to promote that concerns US History?
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Hey Paul, I hope you enjoy your time off from work. I'll be thinking of you when I have to wake up five in the morning for work Smile

Don't worry Laura, you are not alone. I'm having an abysmal summer too, so far. I can count on one hand how many good days we've had. Next year I am definitely going abroad.

Lilli, I agree with Laura. If you enjoy Taekwondo you'll be more committed to continue. Whereas with the Gym, you may lose interest and then it becomes a chore rather than a pleasure.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Laura wrote:
Right now there's a big fat thunderstorm outside and I'm scared. pale

Aw, come here. consoling Don't worry about a thing...unless lightning starts to come down, in which case, shut down your computer. You don't want a nearby lightning strike to create a possible power surge that could fry out your computer.

Lilli, I agree with Laura. I know your time is limited, but you seem to be getting a lot out of taekwondo. I think you will be happier sticking with that.

And I am on vacation this week, which explains why I am on here at this time. I don't know what my plans are yet: I have to consult with the wife first. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 1:05 pm

Lillian wrote:
I've been missing for some time, and for that I apologize. Sorry, guys! I'm doing well - if a bit tired from school. Taking AP US History ... it's interesting it parts, but ... exhausting work! My transcript had better be grateful ....

BIG question for you guys:

I'm having trouble fitting in exercise with my academics (PE class here is SUCH a joke). Right now I attend taekwondo class, but I'm wondering if I should quit it and join a gym. The gym has the advantage of being closer and more versatile, but at the same time I like my taekwondo class (even though it's so far it's inconvenient) and (eventually) having a black belt is just really amazing.

So ... gym or taekwondo class? Both? Neither? What do you think?

So, you are trying to decide between something you love and something that is practical? Seriously, stay with Taekwondo. If you like it, you'll be much more consistent in going there.

On a side note, we're not having much of a summer around here... unless very cold monsoon counts. Right now there's a big fat thunderstorm outside and I'm scared. pale
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 3:47 am

I've been missing for some time, and for that I apologize. Sorry, guys! I'm doing well - if a bit tired from school. Taking AP US History ... it's interesting it parts, but ... exhausting work! My transcript had better be grateful ....

BIG question for you guys:

I'm having trouble fitting in exercise with my academics (PE class here is SUCH a joke). Right now I attend taekwondo class, but I'm wondering if I should quit it and join a gym. The gym has the advantage of being closer and more versatile, but at the same time I like my taekwondo class (even though it's so far it's inconvenient) and (eventually) having a black belt is just really amazing.

So ... gym or taekwondo class? Both? Neither? What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 11:42 am

Paul wrote:
My oldest son had all four of his wisdom teeth taken out today. Surprisingly, his face isn't all swollen and bruised. At least not yet. We'll see how he looks tomorrow.

I had that done when I was around thirteen, and I looked like a severely beaten hamster. I recommend lots and lots of ice packs, a lot of sitcoms, and while you're at it, a few severe painkillers should work a treat...
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 pm

My oldest son had all four of his wisdom teeth taken out today. Surprisingly, his face isn't all swollen and bruised. At least not yet. We'll see how he looks tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 8:27 am

Paul wrote:
Laura wrote:
Back home from three days of non-stop rehearsals in the country. So tired I can barely walk, but happy. We had the most wonderful time, although fourteen-hour-sessions of doing Shakespeare do drain your reserves pretty thoroughly.

Well Laura, just lie back and let all of those "thee"s and "thou"s drain out of your head. Laughing

Which play are you doing?

"Much ado about nothing", and I get to be Beatrice, the bitchy cousin and second female lead. The part is wonderful, it feels almost natural to slip into it. Also, I have a great counterpart. For a while I was afraid the director would cast one of our numerous softies to play Benedict, but he chose one that is actually able to deal with me, i.e. Beatrice, at my bitchiest. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Laura wrote:
Back home from three days of non-stop rehearsals in the country. So tired I can barely walk, but happy. We had the most wonderful time, although fourteen-hour-sessions of doing Shakespeare do drain your reserves pretty thoroughly.

Well Laura, just lie back and let all of those "thee"s and "thou"s drain out of your head. Laughing

Which play are you doing?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Back to top Go down
Jen
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Jen

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 2:10 am

[quote="Paul"]
Laura wrote:
Sometimes I just wish my predictions weren't so f*cking accurate.

*hugs*

We love you Laura. I love you
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Laura wrote:
Writing papers, on the other hand, is easy: You do the research, you add some original ideas, and there you go. Maybe I should do more of that and try to get some of it published somewhere. It is something at which I am rather good, in all modesty.

If you enjoy doing it and you know you are good at it, then absolutely you should try doing more of it and then see if you can get it published. I do understand you have time constraints, between your teaching position and everything else in your life, but I would definitely give this a shot if I were you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Wow. Today I've actually done some writing. Don't cheer just yet, it's nothing creative, I'm just trying to fix my best friend's term paper (Implementing Digital Media in Teaching Science in Primary School), and it turned out to be a lot more in need of restructuring and rewriting than I had anticipated. I had thought I would fix a few typos, and there you go, instead I've been typing for three hours straight, and I'm only done with about half of it. Oh, well. The things people do for their friends.

In any case, it's a lot of fun, too. I didn't know I missed research so much. Teaching is still a wonderful job, but it is rather stressful sometimes. Writing papers, on the other hand, is easy: You do the research, you add some original ideas, and there you go. Maybe I should do more of that and try to get some of it published somewhere. It is something at which I am rather good, in all modesty.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Lillian wrote:
I feel like I've been dipped in acid. I can't sleep and want to submerge myself in an icy Antarctic sea.
I got sunburnt.

Ah, Lilli, I hope you're feeling better! Sunburns are not fun, not at all. *Paul gives Lilli a commiserate pat on the shoulder* Oops! Sorry! *Lilli gives Paul a Evil or Very Mad *
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Laura wrote:
I had a friend over for the weekend, and I'm still trying to tidy up the place. Two women, a bunch of DVDs, a bottle of Bailey's and homemade Chinese food - let's just say, it was a bit exhausting Smile

It sounds pretty exhausting but a girl's night in with good friends is usually pretty fun.

I feel like I've been dipped in acid. I can't sleep and want to submerge myself in an icy Antarctic sea.
I got sunburnt.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 11:14 am

I had a friend over for the weekend, and I'm still trying to tidy up the place. Two women, a bunch of DVDs, a bottle of Bailey's and homemade Chinese food - let's just say, it was a bit exhausting Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 12:56 pm

March Hare wrote:
Anyway, it's nice to see people using their real photos. You guys all look great.

I'll agree that Laura and Jen look great. As for myself... Razz lol!
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Life is always like that; it's rather unfair really. Whenever you like someone, they don't like you and vice versa.
Anyway, it's nice to see people using their real photos. You guys all look great.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 11:27 pm

Laura wrote:

Ah, Laura, tell you what: it's this guy's loss, plain and simple. I know this doesn't help you now, but I very much believe you will find the one that's right.

In the meantime, if you need a shoulder to lean on, mine's right here. Smile
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 8:58 am

You two are so cute! It's not that I'm in any doubt about myself, it's just a matter of experience. Guys seem to be interested only when I cannot seem to run fast enough and vice versa. Well, I'll wait and see about this time... Smile
Back to top Go down
Jen
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Jen

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 5:24 am

Laura, what's not to like about you? As Paul said, if he walks, he isn't worthy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Damn. I hate being here alone.
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next