Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Damn. I hate being here alone.

Go down 
+14
Jen
Eden
denizenofevil
Magda
lintu
March Hare
Zara Mikazuki
Laura
BeautyBlitz
Tourterelle
Louisa
Jane
Paul
Kelsey
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Easter holidays. Spending my time alternately reading heaps of books and working in the garden. Sooo relaxing! sunny
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 6:54 pm

Happy birthday, Jane! You are missed, and if you do read this, don't be shy about stopping in to say hi! I hope you have a good day today. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Happy Birthday, Jane!   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 11:20 am

Hey Jane,
I hope if you're reading this, it cheers you up. Have a great day, and remember we all hope you are still here!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Lillian wrote:
Hope your allergies aren't too, severe, Paul. Best of luck!

On a side note, does Jane ever post on here anymore? Do you think we should wish her Happy Birthday?

Thank you, Lilli. So far, I'm not too bad. We'll see what happens when I mow the lawn for the first time. Laughing

Jane was an integral part of the LC. Hopefully she'll come back, even if it's just to say "Hi!" So let's give her a birthday shout-out when that day comes.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Lillian wrote:

On a side note, does Jane ever post on here anymore? Do you think we should wish her Happy Birthday?

Of course we should! It's simply nice to do it, even if she may not be around to see it.

Hey, guys. Easter holidays! Two weeks of nothing but rehearsals! No school. No students. No homework. Yay!!!!!! elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 3:14 am

Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Sorry about that. I recall a botanist doing a documentary on plants and the functions of specific flowers during the spring, and how amusingly ironic it was that he was suffering from hay fever at the same time (David Attenborough). Of course, I do not find your allergies amusing, and you have my sincere sympathies.
Studies do come first, but they really shouldn't. There are so many other things I'd rather be doing. I guess it's a common frustration, though, and I really shouldn't be complaining.
I would like to get engaged in a deep discussion over something in the anti-blog section, but I'm pretty brain dead most days, and have about enough mental energy to read something amusing from a humor site I frequent (but shouldn't).
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:51 pm

No problem, Nolo. Exams come first, of course.

Spring is finally here! And with it, my allergies hayfever
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 5:42 am

Sorry for having been absent for such a long time. I've been cramming for exams.
Yesterday I decided enough was enough, and spent the afternoon reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I had forgotten the joys of reading for 2 hours straight. It was bliss.
Of course, like everyone else on here, I had to compensate the time that was lost, and studied until 3:00am. It was completely worth it. I am considering trying this schedule for good.
I managed to be active on Saturday morning (!) and headed off to the annual flea market. For me it's simply a book fair. I managed to find several classics going at what I am sure is an illegal price. Crime and Punishment, Lord of the Flies, and To Kill a Mockingbird are a few novels that I bought but will not read in the near future.
I also managed not to kill anybody from sleep deprivation, which is definitely an improvement from the last time I tried something similar...
I am amused by The Catcher in the Rye hate sentiment. I have no feelings towards the novel, and have never attempted to read it; I do, however, enjoy a good bashing of any novel that I do not love. Wink

My apologies, Laura. I hope you find a new job that you will enjoy. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 5:05 pm

The best of luck to the both of you for finding employment. I've been there (and there's no guarantee I won't be there again), so I know how frustrating, and scary, unemployment can be.

I never tried to read Catcher in the Rye. I probably never will. I have heard so many people describe the main character as the two of you have. I have absolutely no patience for people like that in real life, never mind as a book character.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 12:49 pm

Laura wrote:
Being unemployed took its toll. My bank account is deep in the red numbers. I just had to transfer money from another account to balance it. I expect it'll take me about two more months until I'm back at where I came from.

About enjoyment and literary value: People keep telling me that "A Catcher in the Rye" was such a huge literary achievement, and that I'm a moron for not adoring it. I apologize, but Holden Caulfield is, quite simply, a whiny pain in the ass. So I absolutely understand if you did not think that "Room" was such a huge deal to begin with Very Happy

I'm sorry, Laura. I hope things get better soon.

I gave up on Catcher in the Rye after the first chapter. Your sentiments sum him up exactly; A whiny pain in the ass.

Except that even though I did not enjoy Room at all, and the main protagonist revolts me, I am glad I read it.
I wonder how my psychology teacher will think of my opinions of "Room". (she assigned us the book in the first place)

Barring that, it's back to school the day after tomorrow. And I'm trying to find a summer job. It's hard for 16 year olds. Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Being unemployed took its toll. My bank account is deep in the red numbers. I just had to transfer money from another account to balance it. I expect it'll take me about two more months until I'm back at where I came from.

About enjoyment and literary value: People keep telling me that "A Catcher in the Rye" was such a huge literary achievement, and that I'm a moron for not adoring it. I apologize, but Holden Caulfield is, quite simply, a whiny pain in the ass. So I absolutely understand if you did not think that "Room" was such a huge deal to begin with Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Haha, you people are so nice. I had better not, though. I need to lose weight, not gain it.

I just posted a review (not by me) of Room in the Review section. I'm not sure if I'm going to later write a review of that, but I think I may altogether give up on child narrators. At least, really young ones. Room has made me very uncomfortable and a little bit angry - I didn't enjoy it much, but I am glad I read it. I guess enjoyment and a book's value don't always go hand in hand.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Paul wrote:
Lillian wrote:
If I'm not careful, I'm probably going to ransack the fridge, just for the sake of not being still. Shocked

Been there, done that. Razz

Try not to go too crazy from inactivity during your week off, Lilli. Laughing

It took two years of psychotherapy to overcome my obsesssive-compulsive need to be productive and useful 24 hours each day. Try not to let it get to that point... and if calories help, by all means, go for it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Lillian wrote:
If I'm not careful, I'm probably going to ransack the fridge, just for the sake of not being still. Shocked

Been there, done that. Razz

Try not to go too crazy from inactivity during your week off, Lilli. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 am

I feel your pain, Laura. I had a sore throat at my fake-prom last week, and this week I am sniffling back a lovely cold. Nowhere near as bad as laryngitis, but I can sympathize.

Meanwhile, enjoying spring break. (1 week) Who knew unwinding was so damn hard? I feel weird not being in overdrive. I got up a 6:30 this morning was just ran around cleaning up, I felt so awkward not doing anything. If I'm not careful, I'm probably going to ransack the fridge, just for the sake of not being still. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Paul wrote:
I have caught a cold from my kids. Thanks, boys! I felt so bad today I even stayed home from work, which I almost never do. I do feel a bit better now, though. A 12-hour nap does a person wonders.

Interesting that this phenomenon is not limited to either side of the Atlantic Very Happy

Sweet dreams, Paul!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm

I have caught a cold from my kids. Thanks, boys! I felt so bad today I even stayed home from work, which I almost never do. I do feel a bit better now, though. A 12-hour nap does a person wonders.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Paul wrote:
Laura wrote:
It's official, it's laryngitis, and I have been medically advised to stay silent. (Which means that my doctor forces me to shut up, and for some reason, my family and friends seem to find this highly amusing.)

Ah, but you can still write. So make sure to use plenty of exclamation points when you are telling somebody off. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

I feel caught Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Laura wrote:
It's official, it's laryngitis, and I have been medically advised to stay silent. (Which means that my doctor forces me to shut up, and for some reason, my family and friends seem to find this highly amusing.)

Ah, but you can still write. So make sure to use plenty of exclamation points when you are telling somebody off. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:00 am

Paul wrote:
I've received an invitation to my 30th high school reunion. Ye gods, 30 years? It is supposed to be in August. Somehow I don't see myself going.

I can understand that. When I think that it's been seven years since I left school, I feel old already (especially when I'm asked to teach students of that age, and they start calling me "Mrs").
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 10:58 pm

I've received an invitation to my 30th high school reunion. Ye gods, 30 years? It is supposed to be in August. Somehow I don't see myself going.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 9:37 pm

Paul wrote:
Ah, yes, schools, those lovely incubators for bacteria and viruses.

I hope you feel better soon, Laura! In the meantime you can perfect your "if you disrupt my class I will beat you senseless" look in case the kids act up. lol!

Close: I started to communicate with my kids almost entirely via blackboard messages. Worked surprisingly well, I was so proud: They were understanding and kind and actually REALLY silent for a day, so I could get through with my minimum of voice! Love my kiddies!! I love you

But I'll admit, I did try the look thing once or twice with the really annoying kids. Which led to "watch out, she's looking at you!"-comments, after which I gave up the attempt Very Happy

My theatre group is currently rehearsing "Humberrie", a new Austrian play, which has just had its world premiere in Vienna, which means we will be doing a German premiere for the first time Wink
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 3:49 pm

I've perfected my look, but it's entirely useless as the 8 year olds don't take the hint, and I can't 'beat them senseless'...technically speaking.

Get well soon, Laura. What exactly are you rehearsing for? Which stage in history will you be dramatising??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damn. I hate being here alone.   Damn. I hate being here alone. - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Damn. I hate being here alone.
Page 7 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next