Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Little Women - love or hate?

Go down 
5 posters

Little Women - Love or Hate?
Love
Little Women - love or hate? I_vote_lcap14%Little Women - love or hate? I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Little Women - love or hate? I_vote_lcap29%Little Women - love or hate? I_vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Appreciate
Little Women - love or hate? I_vote_lcap0%Little Women - love or hate? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Don't like
Little Women - love or hate? I_vote_lcap43%Little Women - love or hate? I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
Hate
Little Women - love or hate? I_vote_lcap14%Little Women - love or hate? I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Little Women - love or hate? Empty
PostSubject: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 3:14 pm

I am just reading, or rather, listening to "Little Women". I remember that some of you loved it, while others despised it, so I thought I'd make a poll out of this.

I personally love the story and the characters, although I am now reading it for the first time - I've known one of the movie versions for quite some time, and always loved that, so I wanted to give the novel a shot. Why do you love/like/hate it?
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:03 am

While I'm forced to admit that Little Women is a well-constructed, interesting and well-written piece of work, it just doesn't click for me. Most of the characters irritate the heck out of me. Beth, with all her redeeming qualities, is a pushover and nearly kills herself because she doesn't want to worry anyone. Jo is usually big-hearted, but can be snobby and hard when the mood strikes her.(for the record, Beth and Jo are my favorites) Meg whines a lot about money, makes a free choice to marry a not-wealthy guy, and spends his money on sprees. Amy is preoccupied with one-upping her classmates, obsessing over her blonde hair, and her oh-so-ugly nose.

Not to negate anyone who likes it. Just isn't my cup of tea. To me, it's a bit of a forerunner of chicklit.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Jewels wrote:
While I'm forced to admit that Little Women is a well-constructed, interesting and well-written piece of work, it just doesn't click for me. Most of the characters irritate the heck out of me. Beth, with all her redeeming qualities, is a pushover and nearly kills herself because she doesn't want to worry anyone. Jo is usually big-hearted, but can be snobby and hard when the mood strikes her.(for the record, Beth and Jo are my favorites) Meg whines a lot about money, makes a free choice to marry a not-wealthy guy, and spends his money on sprees. Amy is preoccupied with one-upping her classmates, obsessing over her blonde hair, and her oh-so-ugly nose.

Not to negate anyone who likes it. Just isn't my cup of tea. To me, it's a bit of a forerunner of chicklit.

I agree that some of the characters are a little challenging at first. But I think that this is what it's all about - they are still growing up, and they have genuine flaws.

On second thoughts, I exclude Amy from the above. She is an annoying little brat, and way too spoiled for the circumstances they live in.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Little Women - love or hate? 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 2:32 pm

I hated it. It bored me to death. I found that there was so little in there to keep me reading, that 6 times I tried and failed to finish it. It's just not my thing I guess. I didn't find any of the characters that wonderful and the story line itself was lacking, in my opinion.

Ironically, I love the sequal, Little Men. Maybe because it's not really about Jo and the rest of the March sisters.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 6:41 pm

I started on it about a year ago and somehow forgot. Never finished it. I think I left the book in Manila. I remember it bored me to tears.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 8:14 pm

I didn't care too much about Little Women (meaning, I didn't mind either way), but I liked Little Wives. Both have excellent characters, and it was nice to see their lives come together in the end, with them overcoming many of their flaws.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Rhea wrote:
I didn't care too much about Little Women (meaning, I didn't mind either way), but I liked Little Wives. Both have excellent characters, and it was nice to see their lives come together in the end, with them overcoming many of their flaws.

I don't know yet if I'll read any of her other works. But if you say it's good, maybe I'll have a look - my Christmas list is growing already woooork
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 3:35 am

Laura wrote:
Rhea wrote:

I don't know yet if I'll read any of her other works. But if you say it's good, maybe I'll have a look - my Christmas list is growing already woooork

Little Wives is usually part of the same volume as Little Women, and it's often called Little Women: Part II. The characters are the same, but from up there it sounded like they weren't; sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 12:20 am

I read this book when I was very young, so I can't say I remember the writing too well. I do remember hating all of the characters, especially Beth. I was laughing inwardly when she died. I liked Jo, but I think that's because she was the prettiest on the cover of the book. Again, I was really young when I read this. I should probably try again before judging it too harshly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 6:33 am

I've read Little Wives. The characters sort of continue their lives from the point where Meg accepts John Brooke's proposal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Little Women - love or hate?   Little Women - love or hate? Empty

Back to top Go down

Little Women - love or hate?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Novels-
Jump to: