Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Book opinions.

Go down 
+6
Talkatoast
denizenofevil
GuardianSaiyoko
Laura
BeautyBlitz
Epiphany
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 1:12 am

I thought I'd open up a section where we can ask for other users opinions on books. Several of us seem to have similar tastes, so hopefully this will be a good way to find new books to read and to share our favorite books with others.

I'll start us off, I guess.

Has anyone read any of Charlotte Bronte's works (outside of Jane Eyre)? If so, which ones are the best?

Also, what do you think Lord Of The Flies, Tender Is The Night by Fitzgerald, and The Catcher In The Rye by Salinger? Are they worth reading?
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Book opinions. 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

The only one from your list that I can remember well enough to have an opinion on is The Catcher in the Rye. I HATED EVERY WORD. I was honestly bored to tears reading that horrible book. Classic my left foot! Sleep
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:27 am

Oh god, yeah, the Catcher in the Rye was one bad read. From around page fifty, every freaking paragraph ended with "I got depressed", or "I was depressed as hell", or "I was so depressed", or "that depressed me". I just wanted to reach into the darn thing, grab oh-so-depressed Holden by the neck and strangle him for a bit. Honestly, he has it all, and he is still SOOOO depressed. I do not have patience with such people.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 6:46 pm

My best friend read Catcher in the Rye and loved it. Seeing as I am constantly annoying him into a better mood and get annoyed roughly once a day with his attitude that all people suck, I have avoided reading it like the plague.

The only one of the books on the list I've read is Lord of the Flies. I didn't like it when I first read it for school, but during that year and on a couple of re-reads I came to love the book. I think part of it was actually one of the school activities we did after reading it- when we got to English that day, the teacher was nowhere in sight, but on her desk were three masks and on the chalkboard were the words 'There is candy in the left desk drawer, please don't touch it," or something like that.

By the time she showed up to class fifteen minutes late, three of the guys were running around the halls wearing the masks and we were all hiding candy. She informed us it was supposed to be a demonstration of how quickly order breaks down, since a lot of us thought it happened awfully fast in the book. It really stuck with me.

Plus, I love dystopias, so I'll always love a book with that kind of element to it.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Saiyoko, have you already read "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood? I tried that this summer, and failed completely. I just couldn't get into it. Actually, that is very strange because usually, dystopias appeal to me - I loved "Lord of the flies", and "1984", and also "Brave New World". "Fahrenheit 451" was okay, but too plain for my taste.
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 8:27 pm

Has anyone read 1984. I hear it's pretty good but i can't get my hands on it.
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 8:29 pm

Catcher in the Rye was okay, but a lot of the problems he faces are problems he brought upon himself, so his brought-upon problems make him seem kind of whiny.

I loved 1984! It is definitely worth the read if you love to read novels involving dystopias.
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Laura
Admin
Laura

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 8:34 pm

1984 is brilliant! "newspeak" alone has puzzled me for ages! Definitely read it, that is one thing that will widen your horizon Smile
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 9:21 pm

Loved Lord of the Flies, even though most of my classmates didn't. In comparison to some of the other books we had to read for school, this one was downright exciting!

Spoiler:

affraid

I was actually depressed when Piggy died. He was my absolute favorite character.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 9:31 pm

I've heard that The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is the "modern" The Catcher in the Rye.
I liked it okay. It's a really short, easy read and I think that everybody knows someone like Charlie. I'd suggest it, but not for the writing.
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
Loved Lord of the Flies, even though most of my classmates didn't. In comparison to some of the other books we had to read for school, this one was downright exciting!

Spoiler:

affraid

I was actually depressed when Piggy died. He was my absolute favorite character.

I was angry when he died.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 9:59 pm

Quote :

Well, that too; towards Jack and Roger, obviously.

This question has nothing to do with Piggy's murder, but did you think it was realistic how quickly the boys turned savage? I agree with Golding that we all have some evil inside of us, but I don't think people would turn savage that quickly.
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
Quote :

Well, that too; towards Jack and Roger, obviously.

This question has nothing to do with Piggy's murder, but did you think it was realistic how quickly the boys turned savage? I agree with Golding that we all have some evil inside of us, but I don't think people would turn savage that quickly.

Well, I can't even remember how long they were on the island. But I would say it'd take at least a month to make a STEADY transition from civilized to barbaric. It's not unrealistic that they turned savage because if you are isolated from civilation for so long, you revert to your natural instincts in order to survive. Like I said, I can't remember how long they were on the island to completely justify anything.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Quote :
Well, I can't even remember how long they were on the island. But I would say it'd take at least a month to make a STEADY transition from civilized to barbaric. It's not unrealistic that they turned savage because if you are isolated from civilization for so long, you revert to your natural instincts in order to survive. Like I said, I can't remember how long they were on the island to completely justify anything.

It seemed like only 2-3 weeks, didn't it?
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:17 pm

I haven't read "The Handmaid's Tale" but I'll certainly have to get around to it.

I originally thought that civilization broke down unrealistically fast in Lord of the Flies, up until I had that teacher do the mask experiment I mentioned. It took us about two minutes to slide towards anarchy.

Plus, something that was pointed out to me- remember the Playground Wars when you were kids? I'm sure I'm not alone in experiencing these. Little kids get vicious, fast, and start taking sides and having wars- and that's without weapons and while still under supervision.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:18 pm

GuardianSaiyoko wrote:
I haven't read "The Handmaid's Tale" but I'll certainly have to get around to it.

I originally thought that civilization broke down unrealistically fast in Lord of the Flies, up until I had that teacher do the mask experiment I mentioned. It took us about two minutes to slide towards anarchy.

Plus, something that was pointed out to me- remember the Playground Wars when you were kids? I'm sure I'm not alone in experiencing these. Little kids get vicious, fast, and start taking sides and having wars- and that's without weapons and while still under supervision.

That is very true. Well, I'm going to assume it's a month, so I would say that it's realistic.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Quote :

I suppose so, but I still feel there's a difference between murder and stealing candy or jabbing at each other with sticks. I guess it is all classified as savagery though!
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

Number of posts : 45

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 8:51 am

Epiphany wrote:
I thought I'd open up a section where we can ask for other users opinions on books. Several of us seem to have similar tastes, so hopefully this will be a good way to find new books to read and to share our favorite books with others.

I'll start us off, I guess.

Has anyone read any of Charlotte Bronte's works (outside of Jane Eyre)? If so, which ones are the best?

Also, what do you think Lord Of The Flies, Tender Is The Night by Fitzgerald, and The Catcher In The Rye by Salinger? Are they worth reading?

I recently read The Professor by Charlotte Bronte and loved it! I also have Villette and Shirley on my bookcase so will read them in time
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 10:41 am

denizenofevil wrote:
Has anyone read 1984. I hear it's pretty good but i can't get my hands on it.
If you like, I can send it to you, I have an e-book copy. Email me if you want it. I found it very interesting, although some people claim its boring. I have also read Fahrenheit 451. I have to disagree with the person who said it was plain. Although not as good as 1984, I would not use plain to describe it. It's overall plot was original, its description well written, and its characters complex and unique. Both books are excellent reads.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:35 pm

I'm still waiting for the moment when I'm so fed up with the audiobook of "Pride and Prejudice" that I'll switch to "Jane Eyre" Smile

Besides: Nolofinwe, to my knowledge, the novel is still under copyright, and thus I would like you not to suggest sending it to anyone, since this is illegal.
Back to top Go down

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:56 pm

Solveig wrote:
Oh god, yeah, the Catcher in the Rye was one bad read. From around page fifty, every freaking paragraph ended with "I got depressed", or "I was depressed as hell", or "I was so depressed", or "that depressed me". I just wanted to reach into the darn thing, grab oh-so-depressed Holden by the neck and strangle him for a bit. Honestly, he has it all, and he is still SOOOO depressed. I do not have patience with such people.

In my opinion he was a emo whiner, a person who enjoyed bemoaning his fate and behaving like an immature 2 year old. Loads of people have it much worse off and become useful and admirable members of society. I CANNOT understand why this is recommended. Dandy bad example, maybe?
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 11:19 am

I've never read it, but I've hear Catcher in the Rye pretty highly recommended....I was actually planning on reading it, but I'm reconsidering.
Tourterelle, you're reading Frankenstein?? That is one kick-ass book, one of the best I've read in 2008... so far. I really enjoyed the way Shelley made you sympathize with the monster, rather than just making him the average villain.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 2:43 pm

Quote :
Tourterelle, you're reading Frankenstein?? That is one kick-ass book, one of the best I've read in 2008... so far. I really enjoyed the way Shelley made you sympathize with the monster, rather than just making him the average villain.

It is awesome! Already made my favorites list.

I do sympathize with the monster rather than Victor, as I'm in the part where the monster is telling his tale. I felt horrible for the "monster" after Felix beat him away!
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
Quote :

It is awesome! Already made my favorites list.

I do sympathize with the monster rather than Victor, as I'm in the part where the monster is telling his tale. I felt horrible for the "monster" after Felix beat him away!

That's one of the lovely things about the book. You feel so sorry for the monster, and at the end of the book you aren't sure if you still feel sorry for him or not because some of the things he does are so horrible. It's a good moral conflict; you understand why he does what he does, but does that make it right?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 6:01 pm

Quote :

That's one of the lovely things about the book. You feel so sorry for the monster, and at the end of the book you aren't sure if you still feel sorry for him or not because some of the things he does are so horrible. It's a good moral conflict; you understand why he does what he does, but does that make it right?

If the monster truly did murder William, I know I would sympathize with him, even though I (obviously) think murder is wrong. Children learn their morals from their parents, but the monster did not have that opportunity. Plus, he was abandoned by his creator, and how would that feel?

I'm still reading the part where the monster tells his tale to Victor, but I have a strong suspicion that the monster killed William just to lure Victor to him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book opinions.   Book opinions. Empty

Back to top Go down

Book opinions.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next