Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! Empty
PostSubject: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyTue May 26, 2009 11:46 pm

This is for an English project that I'll probably blow off, but I need to be prepared in case I decide/need to attend the damn class.

♫ What is the theme of Jane Eyre?
♫ What are the connections between the book, the individual (you), community and the world?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyTue May 26, 2009 11:53 pm

The themes of Jane Eyre:
Love and Passion
Independence
God and Religion
Atonement and Forgiveness
Search for Home and Family

http://www.answers.com/topic/jane-eyre-novel-3

After looking at the themes, you could probably figure out the second question, too. Jane Eyre has multiple themes that you, the world, and the community can relate with. We all go through love, everybody seeks independence, etc.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyWed May 27, 2009 2:23 am

Thanks, Nicholle. Razz
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 11:13 pm

AGH, I need THREE English concepts from Jane Eyre! Please heeeeelp! headdesk
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 2:24 am

What does your teacher mean by "English concepts"?
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 2:25 am

English as in the society, or the language?
If your talking about the language, I am not quite sure what you mean.
As for the society, there are many: Marriage, compassion, religion, sympathy, the roles of men and women, etc in English society.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 3:18 am

God, I don`t get her myself, but I think I need English concepts on the themes that Nicholle gave. Crap.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 3:23 am

Well, then, look at these:

Wendelin wrote:
The themes of Jane Eyre:
Love and Passion
Independence
God and Religion

Where do these fit into the lives of the English during Jane's time? How are these things looked at, dealt with?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 3:34 am

Galene wrote:

Wendelin wrote:
The themes of Jane Eyre:
Love and Passion
Independence
God and Religion

Where do these fit into the lives of the English during Jane's time? How are these things looked at, dealt with?

You could talk about how marriage was not always based on love/passion and how women had less independence than men.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 4:38 am

Clementine wrote:
Galene wrote:

Wendelin wrote:
The themes of Jane Eyre:
Love and Passion
Independence
God and Religion

You could talk about how marriage was not always based on love/passion and how women had less independence than men.

Great, great! I only need one more.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 4:48 am

Louisa Lucian wrote:
Clementine wrote:
Galene wrote:

Wendelin wrote:
The themes of Jane Eyre:
Love and Passion
Independence
God and Religion

Well, Jane went wandering around in the cold and rain. She came on her cousins' house, and was turned away by the maid. However, she was later admitted in. Compassion seemed the right thing then.
Now would we let some stranger into our houses? Probably not. Even then, it was risky, but done.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 4:53 am

Galene wrote:
Louisa Lucian wrote:
Clementine wrote:
Galene wrote:

Wendelin wrote:
The themes of Jane Eyre:
Love and Passion
Independence
God and Religion

Well, Jane went wandering around in the cold and rain. She came on her cousins' house, and was turned away by the maid. However, she was later admitted in. Compassion seemed the right thing then.
Now would we let some stranger into our houses? Probably not. Even then, it was risky, but done.

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! I would have so treated you both if we only knew each other in real life!
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 10:30 pm

Since my Powerpoint document type is too advanced for my teacher's computer, I still have tomorrow to present it. While watching my classmates' works, some of them had "symbolism" as one of their concepts. What does that mean? HELP!
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:00 am

I don't understand how your classmates used symbolism as an English concept, unless we're misinterpreting the definition of "English concepts." Hm.

Anyway, symbolism is basically when an object, place, etc. represents something. Like in Lord of the Flies, Piggy's glasses are a symbol of intelligence.

What were some symbols in Jane Eyre, then? The Red Room may be one example.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:22 am

*bashes head against wall* Apparently, English concepts are like hyperbole, onomatopoeia, assonance, alliteration, etc. Who knew?!
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:29 am

Louisa Lucian wrote:
*bashes head against wall* Apparently, English concepts are like hyperbole, onomatopoeia, assonance, alliteration, etc. Who knew?!

Ah, I see. Sorry about that!

Do you need to know the definitions of those words, then?
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:37 am

Clementine wrote:
Louisa Lucian wrote:

Ah, I see. Sorry about that!

Do you need to know the definitions of those words, then?

No need to apologize. I was just so irritated that I didn't realize it before!

Yes, but you don't need to do that. Wikipedia is the key! (and my brain from past lessons) Wink Thanks for your help. And Kelsey's. I was ready to explode at first when I got this project. Now I'm super ready to get a high mark! bouncy
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:38 am

No problem. I like helping with homework (as long as it isn't math).

Good luck with your project, now!
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:41 am

Thanks, Nicholle! (Or would you prefer Clementine? I've always loved that name!)

Are you off from school?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:51 am

Nicholle is fine, although Clementine is prettier. I took it from the song "My Darling Clementine." For a children's song, it's pretty creepy. (Just like the "ashes, ashes, we all fall down" song).

And yes, I'm off from school. Yesterday was my last day.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:54 am

So how was last day of school? I simply cannot believe that finals aren't necessary here except for Math! affraid
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:57 am

It was pretty fun, but I'm going to miss my English teacher so much. He wrote the best message in my yearbook.

I've never had finals except for my French class. Next year, though, we're supposed to start having finals in every class. A school we butt heads with does finals, so I think that was the inspiration. Grr.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 1:27 am

Never in my life have I heard those types of things called "English concepts." I'd call them "writing tools" or something. "English concepts" should have something to do with then English language itself, such as grammar or idioms or something.
But that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 1:31 am

I've never heard them referred to as "English concepts" either. I've always heard terms like "allusions" and "symbols" called "literary terms."

"Literary terms" seems so much clearer.
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 1:34 am

I know! But that`s Canada for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!   For those who have read Jane Eyre...help! Empty

Back to top Go down

For those who have read Jane Eyre...help!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next