Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My name is Jane, and I am a book addict

Go down 
+3
denizenofevil
Tourterelle
Jane
7 posters
AuthorMessage
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-12-03

My name is Jane, and I am a book addict Empty
PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 2:16 am

BeautyBlitz wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:
I think that while it's good to teach a kid to read early, some people push their kids too hard so their kids end up hating reading. I don't know anything about the reading programs today but to me, I think they're more harmful to children's reading habits than helpful. What I think will make the kid love reading is for their parents to actively take a role in sitting with a child and reading to them or allowing the child to read for them. It should be a warm bonding experience and the way I imagined the programs is a cold, sit with the tape experience.

where's the thumbs up on this thing????

If I could find you you'd get one denizen.

lol! Thank you! This place seriously should have thumbs up so we can use them..
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 2:13 am

Yeah, but apparently it's "easy" for them to learn at that age and it's "not work." They don't even realize they're learning because it's just part of the "natural connections" they make as they grow up. It's just like "learning to talk."

I personally think that it's a good premise, but I don't like the idea of reading being hardwired into a baby. Something in my brain says "That's not right, so don't buy it."
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : My name is Jane, and I am a book addict 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 7:57 pm

denizenofevil wrote:
I think that while it's good to teach a kid to read early, some people push their kids too hard so their kids end up hating reading. I don't know anything about the reading programs today but to me, I think they're more harmful to children's reading habits than helpful. What I think will make the kid love reading is for their parents to actively take a role in sitting with a child and reading to them or allowing the child to read for them. It should be a warm bonding experience and the way I imagined the programs is a cold, sit with the tape experience.

where's the thumbs up on this thing????

If I could find you you'd get one denizen.
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 11:14 am

That is scary. Making your child a prodigy, no matter what? Why would anyone do that??

I didn't get a single book, either... My brother got a grand total of eighteen, including a complete edition of the works of Hermann Hesse.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 11:07 am

Kelsey wrote:
I've been playing the Sims for like, six hours, so that's why I've been kind of quiet. I got a few books this Christmas, but not too many.
Night before last, there was this infomercial (yup, I was up that late) for this Your Baby Can Read product. It teaches babies to read when they're really young, and supposedly that makes them really smart when they grow up.

I saw that too but my only question is...How hard are people really willing to push their children? That seems extreme to me to be teaching babies as young as 3 months old how to read. Sure, I want my son to grow up reading and loving books, but I want to achieve this by teaching him that books are wonderful things filled with adventure. I don't want him to think of reading as yet another series of flashcards.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 5:39 am

Kelsey wrote:
I've been playing the Sims for like, six hours, so that's why I've been kind of quiet. I got a few books this Christmas, but not too many.
Night before last, there was this infomercial (yup, I was up that late) for this Your Baby Can Read product. It teaches babies to read when they're really young, and supposedly that makes them really smart when they grow up.

I've been wondering what you were off doing! lol!

Hm, I've been at the LC, reading, and listening to music. Not simultaneously, but on and off. Laughing

When I have children, I don't think I'll buy into programs like that; seriously, if I want my child to read, I'll read to them and teach them to read myself.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 5:36 am

Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:52 am

he is 7 1/2 months old. To the day in fact.

My parents cats bought him Green Eggs and Ham. He also got one of those books that have the buttons that make noise.
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:40 am

BeautyBlitz wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:
BeautyBlitz wrote:
I sadly, did not get a single book for christmas...but my son got 20!

HAHA I'm starting him young.

Shocked Your kid's going to be a genius. haha... When will you start him off on classics?

I've already read Treasure Island to him if that counts lol!

He got Green Eggs and Ham, A collection of Robert Munsch, a few different bed time collections, and so many others I just can't think right now.

haha.. Cute! I loved Green Eggs and Ham, The Foot Book and a bunch of other Seuss works. How old is he again?
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:38 am

BeautyBlitz wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:
BeautyBlitz wrote:

Shocked Your kid's going to be a genius. haha... When will you start him off on classics?

He got Green Eggs and Ham, A collection of Robert Munsch, a few different bed time collections, and so many others I just can't think right now.

Aw, I love Green Eggs and Ham.

You should get him the Chronicles of Narnia for his birthday. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:35 am

denizenofevil wrote:
BeautyBlitz wrote:

Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:11 am

Jane wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:
Jane wrote:
I got a dozen novels for Christmas this year cheers Yay! Well, I thought that would be enough to keep me away from Barnes and Noble for a while... It wasn't. My uncle came to town yesterday, and he wanted to buy me a Christmas gift. I knew I had enough books to last me two months, I knew I was already reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (I'm only a few pages into it, too), but I couldn't resist. He bought me six books today.

I'm admitting it right here. I have a problem. Everytime I start reading one of my books, I get some money and spend it on a new book. It'd be funny if I hadn't wasted two hundred dollars to get books I won't read for months to come. I try to tell myself I need to buy other things, but books are just so pretty. And my bookshelf looks so nice when it's full...

Does anyone else have a similar addiction?

Heck yes! I love going to the book store and I love buyinng books, especially if they're hardcover and will look nice in my room. In fact, if I hadn't just spent my walmart giftcard on a Simcity 4 game, I would have bought as many books as 20 dollars would allow. If I ever became rich, I would buy every single classic there is available and have a nice comfy loft where I could sit by a fireplace in a cozy bathrobe and bunny slippers, drink hot chocolate, and pet the dog lying at my feet.

If only I were rich and could afford bunny slippers...

lol!

Ahh, that made me laugh. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:08 am

I didn't get any books this Christmas, but lucky me because there's a library that is walking distance from the house. I can check out books whenever I want!

When I have kids, I'll make them read books at an early age, too.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:07 am

denizenofevil wrote:
Jane wrote:
I got a dozen novels for Christmas this year cheers Yay! Well, I thought that would be enough to keep me away from Barnes and Noble for a while... It wasn't. My uncle came to town yesterday, and he wanted to buy me a Christmas gift. I knew I had enough books to last me two months, I knew I was already reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (I'm only a few pages into it, too), but I couldn't resist. He bought me six books today.

I'm admitting it right here. I have a problem. Everytime I start reading one of my books, I get some money and spend it on a new book. It'd be funny if I hadn't wasted two hundred dollars to get books I won't read for months to come. I try to tell myself I need to buy other things, but books are just so pretty. And my bookshelf looks so nice when it's full...

Heck yes! I love going to the book store and I love buyinng books, especially if they're hardcover and will look nice in my room. In fact, if I hadn't just spent my walmart giftcard on a Simcity 4 game, I would have bought as many books as 20 dollars would allow. If I ever became rich, I would buy every single classic there is available and have a nice comfy loft where I could sit by a fireplace in a cozy bathrobe and bunny slippers, drink hot chocolate, and pet the dog lying at my feet.

If only I were rich and could afford bunny slippers...
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:01 am

BeautyBlitz wrote:

Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 11:57 pm

BeautyBlitz wrote:

Oh, I want to do that with my kids!

I'll make 'em bookworms too. Twisted Evil

What books did you get for your son?
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 11:56 pm

Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Jane wrote:

Last edited by denizenofevil on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Hi, I'm Nicholle, and I'm a book addict too.

Strangely enough, I'm in the same situation. I received many books for Christmas, yet I plan on spending my Christmas money on more books. I love the appearance of a stocked bookshelf too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 11:51 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My name is Jane, and I am a book addict   My name is Jane, and I am a book addict Empty

Back to top Go down

My name is Jane, and I am a book addict
Page 1 of 1