Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Forum Problems

Go down 
+3
denizenofevil
GuardianSaiyoko
BeautyBlitz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 11:55 pm

I have edited the rules accordingly.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 11:53 pm

I would actually really like to be able to talk about religion. Religion has always been a subject that interests me, and I'm currently trying to find a religion (or lack thereof) that I agree with. Where I live, everyone is either Mormon or not religious, so I don't have much opportunity to talk to people of other religions. There's just no variety here. Since there are a few users here who aren't religious or aren't Christian, I think talking about religion could be interesting.
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Yeah, I like the personal risk idea as well. I do feel it would be hard not to bring it up as well, since it is a major factor in many novels and I personally can trace a lot of my religious beliefs back to some of my favourite books (not sure what that says about'em, but hey, it works for me).
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:50 pm

I like that "personal risk" idea, Solveig. That way, people who are uncomfortable about religious criticism can abstain from that facet of that discussion and can participate in other ways. Then people who want to discuss religion can also do so freely--assuming that it related to literature.

After all, like you said, it is a literary forum, not a religious one.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:47 pm

How about this compromise: It is okay to discuss religion whenever it relates to literature, because it is true, it would be very hard to discuss "The Scarlet Letter" or some such without referring to religion. As for personal religion, would you agree to a "personal risk" policy? Meaning, if you introduce religion to a discussion, you have to take the risk that others may disagree? If you don't want to take that risk, just don't bring it up. (Needless to say, intentional offending people because they mention their religion should be off-limits.)
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:42 pm

I think I've already heard everything offensive there is to say about my religion, and I've been okay so far. I see your point though. I still think we'd be okay here- in my experience, I usually inadvertently offend people when they realise I don't follow their religion, and I don't think that would come as a particular shock to anyone else in the forum.

Ultimately, though, it's up to you. I have other outlets to discuss religion, after all, and this is supposed to be a literary forum.
flower
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 pm

Actually, if everybody on the forum agreed that they wouldn't be offended by any talk of religion, then why not? I mean, there are powerful pieces of literature strongly associated with religion--outside of the Holy Books themselves. Even the people within this forum have religious diversity, so it is okay to discuss. But definitely don't put down other religions--I'm a bit wary simply because this tends to be a byproduct, even when nobody intended to do so. Then people begin to have strained relations and it goes downhill from there...

So I'd be okay personally, but I'm not sure if it is the best ideas.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:19 pm

I like that rule because I always found religion to be a very touchy subject... People are just easily offended. I myself have little trouble with that, since I am non-religious, but I know that others are, and will probably feel attacked if I tell them my views...
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:17 pm

Hmm. Actually, there is one thing I disagree with, if only slightly. Would it be all right to have civil conversations about religion? I know it's said that this impossible, but I've had quite a number of very civil and agreeable religious discussions which included members of many religions. I really enjoy them. I always learn something, every time, and usually everyone comes away from them with something to think about and increased tolerance for other's religions.

Politics, though, I don't think I've ever managed a civil conversation between people with different views unless it was with my twin brother. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Solveig wrote:
I am rather foul-mouthed myself, but with respect to what an English native speaker has taught me about cursing (basically to the effect of "N-E-V-E-R!!!"), I try to restrain myself Smile

Since much of the changes Mariah has proposed have in the meantime been implemented, I have little to add to them. When I woke up today and checked my eMails, I just cursed the fact that I am in a time zone far away from most others users', so it took me a few hours to catch up with you guys... Very Happy

As for the name "treehouse", I still love it, but I agree that it seems clique-ish, especially when combined with words like "member". The same would be true for any other name, though, and that is part of the reason why I want this place to become entirely independent from Yahoo, to give it a chance to grow into a group that is not in its entirety represented somewhere.

True that every name would sound clique-ish. I hate cliques, because it's all about being initiated into the clique and conforming, but I like the exclusiveness. I like the "invitation only" thing, since we can--as Aki put it--keep out the undesirables. That being said, how about the name: Literary Cabinet? I don't know. I just got that off the top of my head. Very Happy

geek Kidding. I do like the original name. I'll be referring to this haven as the Literary Cabinet! LC, for short, as I'm too lazy to always type out the full name.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 8:12 pm

I am rather foul-mouthed myself, but with respect to what an English native speaker has taught me about cursing (basically to the effect of "N-E-V-E-R!!!"), I try to restrain myself Smile

Since much of the changes Mariah has proposed have in the meantime been implemented, I have little to add to them. When I woke up today and checked my eMails, I just cursed the fact that I am in a time zone far away from most others users', so it took me a few hours to catch up with you guys... Very Happy

As for the name "treehouse", I still love it, but I agree that it seems clique-ish, especially when combined with words like "member". The same would be true for any other name, though, and that is part of the reason why I want this place to become entirely independent from Yahoo, to give it a chance to grow into a group that is not in its entirety represented somewhere.
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 8:08 pm

Personally, I like the name Treehouse but if it'll make us seem less cliqueish, i'm for ditching it though i'll still refer to it as the Treehouse just for simplicity's sake. I agree with the accepting people thing just as long as they're mature and won't wreak havoc on the boards. I would love to stay and chat more but I have a soccer game so i gotta get ready. Talk to you guys later!
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Forum Problems 1st_place

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 8:07 pm

Swearing is fine when necessary and within reason.
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 8:05 pm

I second ditching the name Treehouse, at least as a 'club' name sort of deal. It's gotten to the point where it makes me uncomfortable.

I didn't see this in the rules anywhere, so... Can we curse? I find it awfully hard not to, and especially in writing it can be ridiculous to write "Darn!" instead of "Damn!" I would think we can, within reason, but I'd like to check.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 11:42 am

I personally propose that we get rid of the name Treehouse and the rules of conduct for Y!A. This will, in my opinion, make us seem less clique-ish. This way, we really ARE just a group of people that enjoy reading and writing and wanted a different place to go to discuss it. Not "better" just different.

I also propose we accept anyone that wants to join, no matter what they like, as long as they do not troll the boards.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 11:10 am

Hi there,

Please take some time to read these rules carefully.

1. Be kind to each other.
2. Please do not post content harmful to minors.
3. Please do not post content encouraging or supporting illegal behaviour.
4. Please do not post discriminatory remarks of any kind, especially racist or sexist remarks.
5. Try to stay on topic.
6. Please take care to post your content in the forum into which it belongs.
7. No stealing of others material!
8. Leave politics outside, please. Ditto religious matters.
9. Avoid double- or triple-posting.
10. Do not post advertisements. Links in general are okay, if they support your point or can be of help to others.
11. Please do not post personal information into any of the forums. For minors: Do not tell anyone what your real name is, where you are from, or any such personal infos, not even in private messages. You never know if the other end is really the nice buddy you hope for.

These rules might be changed if necessary, since this is my first forum, I do not have much experience in rules.

Cheers
S

Some proposed additions:

Abuse of other members will not be tolerated
Bashing or ranting about any subject will not be tolerated
Trolling the boards will not be tolerated
Please keep all posts within the PG 13 guidelines (ie, no "adult" content) as some of our members are younger than others.

If anyone else has any ideas please feel free to share them
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Forum Problems   Forum Problems EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 10:59 am

As you all know, this is Solveig's first forum and it is also my first time being a moderator so there are bound to be issues. I have emailed Solveig some proposed changes after carefully considering all the input on the boards about membership and the venting area.
If you have anything further to add, anymore suggestions or feedback or input or even just your feelings on these subjects then do not hesitate to either post them here or PM me if you want.

Thanks for your patience,

BeautyBlitz.

sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Forum Problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Problems   Forum Problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Forum Problems
Page 1 of 1