Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Young adult literature comes of age

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Young adult literature comes of age Empty
PostSubject: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 9:38 am

It turns out that it's not weird I'm reading the Percy Jackson series and lots of Lois Lowry Smile

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-young-adult8-2010mar08,0,3613981,print.story
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:42 am

What is Lois Lowry? .... apologies for my ignorance. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:43 am

Interesting article, by the way.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Livia wrote:
What is Lois Lowry? .... apologies for my ignorance. Embarassed

No need to apologize Very Happy Lois Lowry is the writer of books such as "The Giver" and "Messenger". She really writes very good teen fiction, and I recommend her to all my students, too, when they ask me for books to read.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 11:39 am

I think it's a little sad how older people are getting turned on to chic-lit like Twilight. While I realize that some YA fiction is probably good quality, the majority of it appeals to the LCD (lowest common denominator) and usually trades in real value for marketability.
While the fans argue that the novels are more fast-paced and have better plots, I'm inclined to think that they are just unwilling to take the time and/or effort which accompanies the reading of good literature. They are also drawn to the suspense and thrill that Shakespeare, Dickens, Austen, and a host of other classical authors did not feel the need to supply. Of course, there's nothing wrong with reading a thriller, but I think that today's generation are so completely in love with thrillers (or chic lit) that they forget everything else that is out there.
That's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Nolofinwe wrote:
I think it's a little sad how older people are getting turned on to chic-lit like Twilight. While I realize that some YA fiction is probably good quality, the majority of it appeals to the LCD (lowest common denominator) and usually trades in real value for marketability.
While the fans argue that the novels are more fast-paced and have better plots, I'm inclined to think that they are just unwilling to take the time and/or effort which accompanies the reading of good literature. They are also drawn to the suspense and thrill that Shakespeare, Dickens, Austen, and a host of other classical authors did not feel the need to supply. Of course, there's nothing wrong with reading a thriller, but I think that today's generation are so completely in love with thrillers (or chic lit) that they forget everything else that is out there.
That's just my opinion.

Hm. I don't think that YA literature is necessarily bad. In fact, some of the great pieces of literature - "Alice in Wonderland", "The Lord of Flies", and even "Winnie the Pooh" - are book devised for children or teens.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 12:32 am

Grace wrote:
Nolofinwe wrote:
That's just my opinion.

Hm. I don't think that YA literature is necessarily bad. In fact, some of the great pieces of literature - "Alice in Wonderland", "The Lord of Flies", and even "Winnie the Pooh" - are book devised for children or teens.

No, those are masterpieces. I was referring to contemporary YA literature which seems to be just thrillers...
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Grace wrote:
It turns out that it's not weird I'm reading the Percy Jackson series and lots of Lois Lowry Smile

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-young-adult8-2010mar08,0,3613981,print.story

How are the Percy Jackson books? A friend of mine described them as amazing, but after Twilight I approach YA books with extreme caution. Should I read them?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Jane wrote:
Grace wrote:

How are the Percy Jackson books? A friend of mine described them as amazing, but after Twilight I approach YA books with extreme caution. Should I read them?

I believe you'd like them. There is an actual plot (!), the characters are well rounded and flawed (!!) and none of them - apart from the gods, obviously - is particularly good-looking (or if they are, at least it's not dwelt upon as if this was the ultimate secret of human life). Sure, it is written for teens, but it is entertaining and sometimes very humorous. The writer makes fun of his characters more than once, and I just adore the chapter headings (one chapter in the third novel is titled "I have a dam problem" - I kept giggling halfway through it). Also, quite unlike that dreadful series, the author has done his research. The myths are put into today's America, yes, but that's about it - in every other respect, the mythology is presented both accurate and teenager-digestable.

I must admit, though, that literature-wise, it's not the biggest gem there is. The writing improves as the story progresses, but after all, it's a children's book. Of course, it's nothing compared with Harry Potter (although the clumsiness and occasional cluelessness of the protagonist sometimes did remind me of it), but it's still a decent series.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 4:22 am

Grace wrote:
Jane wrote:
Grace wrote:

I believe you'd like them. There is an actual plot (!), the characters are well rounded and flawed (!!) and none of them - apart from the gods, obviously - is particularly good-looking (or if they are, at least it's not dwelt upon as if this was the ultimate secret of human life). Sure, it is written for teens, but it is entertaining and sometimes very humorous. The writer makes fun of his characters more than once, and I just adore the chapter headings (one chapter in the third novel is titled "I have a dam problem" - I kept giggling halfway through it). Also, quite unlike that dreadful series, the author has done his research. The myths are put into today's America, yes, but that's about it - in every other respect, the mythology is presented both accurate and teenager-digestable.

I must admit, though, that literature-wise, it's not the biggest gem there is. The writing improves as the story progresses, but after all, it's a children's book. Of course, it's nothing compared with Harry Potter (although the clumsiness and occasional cluelessness of the protagonist sometimes did remind me of it), but it's still a decent series.

I agree with Laura that it does improve as it goes on. When I read the first book, all I could see was the cliches and the ripoffs and I was so disgusted I could barely bring myself to read Sea of Monsters. What really got to me is that there is this little triad - of the heroic but somewhat confused 'special one', the smart-assed, oh so intelligent girl, and the somewhat brainless but loyal follower (who changes from the faun to the cyclops).

But I actually did enjoy this series. I am not a huge fan, but if you decide to look past all the occasional copying and cliches, it's enjoyable. And I especially love Greek mythology so whenever that came into play accurately, it made my day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Young adult literature comes of age   Young adult literature comes of age Empty

Back to top Go down

Young adult literature comes of age
Page 1 of 1