Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favorite Shakespeare Play

Go down 
+5
Magda
Zara Mikazuki
Laura
GuardianSaiyoko
BeautyBlitz
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Favorite Shakespeare Play 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Favorite Shakespeare Play Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:49 pm

Personally, I like King Lear the best, I don't know why, I just do. king
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:55 pm

Although I've only ever seen it once, I have to say Twelfth Night.

This is because when I saw, I saw it performed by the Elizabethan Players during one of the rare times they performed outside Britain. It was the most amazing performance I've ever seen, it made me like Shakespeare when I hadn't previously, and the way the line "Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them" was delivered was just awesome. It involved hip thrusts.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:13 am

I can't answer that! I seriously can't! I mean, Macbeth is practically part of me. Hamlet is just so freaking beautiful, and Midsummer Night's Dream, too! One of these, definitely. If we don't count The Taming of the Shrew, that is. And the Merchant of Venice.

Oh dear.

I'm so no good at this.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com

PostSubject: I can't decide between these ...   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 5:52 am

Much Ado About Nothing, The Merry Wives of Windsor, Twelfth Night, Taming of the Shrew.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 5:52 am

LuthienT wrote:
Much Ado About Nothing, The Merry Wives of Windsor, Twelfth Night, Taming of the Shrew.

For tragedies, I can't decide which is more heart-rending, Hamlet or King Lear or Othello.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 6:04 am

I'll have to go with Hamlet. It combines politics, murder, tragedy, and humor all in one go. Hamlet could, arguably, be one of the most complex characters in all of literary history.

Then and again. If I feel really sappy, I like Romeo and Juliet too. Especially Mercutio-Romeo's friend.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 2:31 am

I've always loved Macbeth. In my opinion, it has some of Shakespeare's best writing, and writing is generally what I love most about Shakespeare. I especially love some of Lady Macbeth's monologues; they're so dark and create such a creepy feeling. I would love to play Lady Macbeth one day, though at the moment I'm not good with evil roles yet. Not to mention, it was the first Shakespeare play I was introduced to.

I love you M I love you
Back to top Go down
Coffee Spoons
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Coffee Spoons

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 4:13 pm

For me it's between A Midsummer Night's Dream and Macbeth.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 12:37 pm

Loved Taming of the Shrew.
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 1:16 am

I really enjoyed A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 4:23 am

Just a general question here. Do you people tend to prefer the tragedies or the comedies?

I for one prefer the tragedies. The comedies are pretty awesome, but I feel that some of the tragedies really strike a chord with me. While Romeo and Juliet was superficial in comparison to the others, tragedies like Hamlet and Macbeth were really my favorites.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Favorite Shakespeare Play 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 10:43 am

The tragedies are far superior to the comedies. Sure, Much Ado About Nothing is fun and all but when you compare it with Hamlet or Macbeth it is found lacking. I find that his tragedies are deeper and have more substance to sink your teeth into.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 10:20 pm

I've always enjoyed King Lear and MacBeth. I liked Richard III a lot. For comedies, I liked Merry Wives of Windsor, mostly because I get a kick out of Sir John Falstaff.

But the play I remember the most, probably because of its sheer brutality, is Titus Andronicus. The violence in that play is constant and horrific. The scene where Titus kills the two sons of the Goth queen, Tamora, because they had raped and mutilated his daughter, then has them cooked and served in meat pies for Tamora to eat was unforgettable.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
Just a general question here. Do you people tend to prefer the tragedies or the comedies?

I for one prefer the tragedies. The comedies are pretty awesome, but I feel that some of the tragedies really strike a chord with me. While Romeo and Juliet was superficial in comparison to the others, tragedies like Hamlet and Macbeth were really my favorites.

I agree. Shakespeare's tragedies have much more depth. I don't think that "Romeo and Juliet" is superficial, though, in my opinion, the material is simply overused. The story has been told too many times, and recycled by too many people. Therefore, Macbeth and Hamlet are somehow deeper.

You know, someone once told me they wanted to write a modern version of "Macbeth". The idea has been at the back of my mind ever since. I wonder how I would do it - what job he would do, and how the surroundings would be. Kind of fascinating.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shakespeare Play   Favorite Shakespeare Play Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Shakespeare Play
Page 1 of 1