Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The last play you saw?

Go down 
+7
BeautyBlitz
GuardianSaiyoko
denizenofevil
Laura
Kelsey
Epiphany
Coffee Spoons
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Coffee Spoons
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Coffee Spoons

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-12-03

The last play you saw? Empty
PostSubject: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 4:18 am

This is semi-unrelated to the topic of reading plays, but what was the last play you saw, and what was your favorite line from it? The last one I saw was Aurelia's Oratorio. It's kind of a surreal, dreamy play. The only part I didn't like was that, in the spirit of Charlie Chaplin, the director's father, it was almost completely lineless.
What about you guys?
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 4:32 am

The last play I saw was The Boys Next Door-- my high school put it on. It's about a group of 4 mentally challenged men (two retarded, one a schizophrenic, and one suffering from extreme paranoia and nervousness) and their caretaker. I was worried that the play would come off as bigoted or demeaning, but it was very well done and very meaningful. I was in tears by the end (not surprising, I cry in everything).

My favorite line... well, it's hard to really choose one, because to understand the meaning or humor of most of the lines, you have to be able to see them act on stage or understand things that have happened in the play previously. One thing that was really funny was that one of the retarded men was obsessed with donuts and constantly brought them up-- the situations in which those interjections were placed were hilarious. But I'd say my ultimate favorite was when the other retarded man talked about how a society should be judged by how they treat their most needy members, not their best, and how, even though he had the mind of a 4 year old, he was still a person with feelings. It was a very emotional and powerful scene.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:24 pm

The last play I saw was Romeo and Juliet. Granted, it was on video rather than stage, but it's still watching a "play." I've now seen two versions (and read it several times on my own free will). Why? I couldn't tell you because the story and most of the characters annoy the heck out of me. I think I keep trying to think of different ways to make the story end up right; I think that if I hope hard enough, maybe they won't die in the end. It's stupid, but I keep watching and reading, watching and reading, hoping that the next time the end will be different.
The last film version I watched was the 90's version with Leonardo Dicaprio, set in Verona Beach rather than Verona. I thought that the whole modern premise was really promising, especially since they kept all the Shakespearean words in; I wanted to see that. I was excited because this Romeo + Juliet film was supposed to follow the plot really closely and everything (unlike other versions), but I found it to be little more accurate than other versions and not worth the somewhat cheesy (despite expectations) setting. It was a bad movie, in my opinion. I much prefer the 60's version even though they cut out even more parts of the original play.
My favorite line is probably always going to be "O, I am fortune's fool!" outside of anything Benvolio says. I love you

I would like to see one truly, entirely accurate book/play film. I, in my limited experience, have yet to find one, though I'm sure I will one day.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:31 pm

My last was "Out of Order" by Ray Cooney, my theatre group performed it, and I got to be everybody's assistant Smile Next April, we are performing "The Crucible", and I SO want to get a part. Next week our new stage director will do a casting, sort of, to get to know us and see how he can do it. Geez, I'd take just about any part.

I just hope they don't want me to be John Proctor's bitter wife...
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Coffee Spoons
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Coffee Spoons

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:49 pm

Kelsey- I feel the same way you do about Romeo and Juliet. Juliet is possibly my least favorite character from true literature, but I keep reading and rereading Romeo and Juliet in hopes that it will change.
Solveig- I'm seeing "The Crucible" in a few weeks, I'll make sure to post what I think.

[offtopic] Can anyone see my avatar?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:52 pm

"Romeo and Juliet" is good because of the language. The plot is weird. Really, true love at fourteen? Not bloody likely.

Hmmm... I can't see it, can anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:03 pm

Blah, I hate Romeo and Juliet. I love Shakespeare's language and writing style, but I hate reading his plays, because in my opinion, Shakespeare is meant to be seen and heard, not read. Romeo reminds me of your typical arrogant jock who thinks he can do whatever he wants to do, and Juliet is a dramatic little girl. The characters annoy me and the premise of the plot is annoying to me-- true love at 14? Fourteen year olds can't feel romantic love worth dying for.

I like Shakespeare's other stuff, though. A Midsummer's Night Dream, The Temptest, Twelth Night, and Hamlet are good.
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:15 pm

Last year, I saw Spamalot on Broadway and this year, since it's my last year in high school, i saw the high school production of Once Upon a Mattress. I really haven't very many plays.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:18 pm

Last year, I saw the fantastic production of "Holding the Man" in the Sydney Opera House. It is the staged autobiography of the main character, who infected his lover with AIDS, watched him die, and then died himself. That was one tearful night.
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 7:02 pm

I think the last play I saw was "Les Miserables", back in high school, because two of my best friends were in it. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It was kind of depressing for me, I'm into more upbeat things usually, but I liked it.

Didn't really have a favourite line, but I loved the song "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables." It was very moving and it was done extremely well.

Romeo and Juliet is one of the only Shakespeare plays I don't much care for- except that when you catch all the horribly dirty jokes thrown in it's hilarious. Unfortunately if you're the one person in your English class laughing at the jokes aside from the obviously insane teacher, generally folks assume you must be crazy. I do agree with Epiphany though, Shakespeare's works are meant to be performed. I didn't actually begin to like them until I'd seen a performance.

I did see Rent on video fairly recently, and I loved the entire thing. I keep trying to convince my mother to watch it but she won't because she 'doesn't want to see a movie about gay people.' Sigh. She's usually far more open-minded than that.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : The last play you saw? 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 7:07 pm

Little Orphan Annie

It saw it in highschool. The guy that played Daddy Warbucks was great, but I wanted to ring the neck of the girl that played Annie. Twisted Evil She was annoying and she couldn't act if her life depended on it.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:09 pm

My drama class went to see a dress rehearsal for a production of Millicent Scowlworthy a few weeks ago. It's pretty weird, but I like it.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: The last play I saw...   The last play you saw? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:46 pm

Hamlet by the brilliant "master of disaster" William Shakespeare.

I didn't see it live, but rather on a video.

It is such an awesome play. And although it's a tragedy, there's a whole lot of humor packed into those five acts...
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:47 pm

Although...hmm...

I have a question. Do musicals count? If so, then I saw Peter Pan and Cinderella. I love children's fairy tales. They take me outta this world.
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:49 pm

Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
Hamlet by the brilliant "master of disaster" William Shakespeare.

I didn't see it live, but rather on a video.

It is such an awesome play. And although it's a tragedy, there's a whole lot of humor packed into those five acts...

Oh thank the gods, I'm not the only one who was laughing during Hamlet!

I love the play, but when we read it in English I'd be cracking up off in my back corner (me and a buddy stole the teacher's desk and he thought it was hilarious so he let us sit there) and the only other person so much as grinning would be the instructor.

I especially liked when Hamlet was going on about the clouds when they were all indoors.
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 5:28 am

GuardianSaiyoko wrote:

I did see Rent on video fairly recently, and I loved the entire thing. I keep trying to convince my mother to watch it but she won't because she 'doesn't want to see a movie about gay people.' Sigh. She's usually far more open-minded than that.

I've been meaning to watch that... is it good?
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 2:14 pm

Epiphany wrote:
GuardianSaiyoko wrote:

I've been meaning to watch that... is it good?

I absolutely loved it and thought it was great. I'd definitely recommend it.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 2:24 am

Last play I saw was The Crucible, by Arthur Miller. Well, actually I was in it, but my part wasn't that big and most of my time was spent watching. I loved being in it though. And I loved the play. The story is so tragic, and the actors played it wonderfully, considering they were all in high school. I got very close to crying during that final scene between John and Elizabeth, if you can believe it.

I'm going to see Phantom of the Opera in a couple of weeks, which makes me insanely happy.

I love you M I love you
Back to top Go down
Coffee Spoons
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Coffee Spoons

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 2:28 am

I'm really glad you guys laugh at Shakespearean humor too. I'll be cracking up in the back of the class and everyone just stares at me...
As for Romeo and Juliet, I do believe wholeheartedly that you can truly be in love at any age. I just don't think that Romeo and Juliet were anywhere close to it. The thing is that they never form an emotional connection- they never really talk and learn about each other and have friendly arguments and those lovely moments of just holding hands and being with the person you love. Instead they go from meeting to kissing to getting married to sex to dying, with little in between. I rather think that it was intentional on Shakespeare's part...
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 1:14 am

On Saturday I saw the play adaptation of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It was pretty awesome. I loved the lighting during Bromden's soliloquies in the first act. He had mini-monologues during scene changes, and in the first few the lighting shows the machine he sees. Nurse Ratched did a really good job; she was a bit less...heartless than I expected, more human, but still managed to send chills down my spine and make me hate her at the end. I was a bit worried about McMurphy because I'd heard he wasn't very good, but I personally liked him. He had a lot of energy and he played the character well (though I still prefer Jack Nicholson). And Billy Bibbit was probably the best of the cast. Everything that he did was so perfect for the character; his voice, his expressions. People (including me) were crying when he died. It followed the book pretty well; not perfectly (there was no fishing trip and the only Chronics were Bromden and Ruckley), but well. And I loved the theatre; it was really small, which made the play feel more personal.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 2:35 am

I just saw Rent, with Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp. I loved it. It made me cry. So much better than the movie!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 10:58 am

I would love to see a play again. It's been so long. There is a theatre in Providence called Trinity Repertory Company with a pretty steady troupe of actors who put on a number of plays each year, and sometimes more well-known actors come in to play some roles. My wife and I used to go there at least once or twice a year at one time, but unfortunately kids, a house, lack of time, and general finances have kept us away for a few years. Right now they are doing "Cabaret". Hopefully someday soon we'll get back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The last play you saw?   The last play you saw? Empty

Back to top Go down

The last play you saw?
Page 1 of 1