Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Books you'll never read.

Go down 
+11
Magda
Kelsey
Jane
xenophi1ia
lintu
March Hare
Louisa
Tourterelle
BeautyBlitz
Paul
Laura
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Books you'll never read. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 11:53 pm

Jewels wrote:
lintu wrote:

Lolita. Pardon my lack of interest when it comes to paedophiles... Like having one as a PE teacher for seven years isn't enough. flower1

Anything to do with Star Trek. Sorry, I'm a Star Wars fan geek.

Oh, congrats on the Partner... Martini on you! clapping

Thanks! I'm getting high on martinis, if that's possible. You have competition, Nicholle! Razz

Sorry about that, lintu. I did have a pedophile as a music teacher for first grade. (He ended up marrying my favorite 1st grade teacher ... wrong on so many levels)

Aw, I love Star Trek. Don't really care much for Star Wars, though. What do you find interesting about it?

Competition for what, top drunk?

Only when you find yourself using your feet to hold your extra martinis shall you surpass me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 11:10 am

Are you challenging me, BIATCH?

Remember I did the commentary for your bitch-birthday-brawl. (ahhh... epic) I am not to be trifled with! Evil or Very Mad starwars starwars
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Jewels wrote:
lintu wrote:

Lolita. Pardon my lack of interest when it comes to paedophiles... Like having one as a PE teacher for seven years isn't enough. flower1

Anything to do with Star Trek. Sorry, I'm a Star Wars fan geek.

Oh, congrats on the Partner... Martini on you! clapping

Thanks! I'm getting high on martinis, if that's possible. You have competition, Nicholle! Razz

Sorry about that, lintu. I did have a pedophile as a music teacher for first grade. (He ended up marrying my favorite 1st grade teacher ... wrong on so many levels)

Aw, I love Star Trek. Don't really care much for Star Wars, though. What do you find interesting about it?

Agreed - Star Trek is good, Star Wars never really made it into my heart. I tried watching it several times, but always got too bored to carry on. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 1:13 pm

We seem to have gone astray from the "Novels" thread. And now I will continue to do so... Razz

Concerning the Star Trek/Star Wars debate we seem to be having, I will say I was raised on the original episodes of Star Trek. Actually, it's amazing how much the communicators they used resemble today's cell phones so much. The overall message of a universe where humans have largely put aside their differences and are now at peace with one another (but not with the Klingons or the Romulans), especially when you realize that this show was aired in the late 1960's when the US, and much of the world, was being split down generational lines, and when the Cold War was still going strong, was a pretty uplifting one.

Now for Star Wars. I saw that movie when it first came out in 1977. I was fourteen. I remember standing in line with my cousins, a line that went around the back of the movie theater. Once the lights went out and the movie started, I remember being impressed by the huge spaceship that started at the top of the screen and just glided across my sight. Then I saw the monster spaceship that was chasing it and firing on it, and I was completely blown away at the sheer size and detail of what I was seeing on the screen. I know this sort of thing is standard fare today, but back then this was something new and impressive. And then the characters like Darth Vader, and the story elements...I was floored. I loved it. Too bad I can't say the same for some of the sequels.

So that's my two cents on the matter. Now, to keep in the spirit of the "Books I'll never read" thread, I will say I have tried, then thrown down in disappointment, all books that are based on both Star Trek and Star Wars. It just isn't the same.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Paul wrote:
We seem to have gone astray from the "Novels" thread. And now I will continue to do so... Razz

Concerning the Star Trek/Star Wars debate we seem to be having, I will say I was raised on the original episodes of Star Trek. Actually, it's amazing how much the communicators they used resemble today's cell phones so much. The overall message of a universe where humans have largely put aside their differences and are now at peace with one another (but not with the Klingons or the Romulans), especially when you realize that this show was aired in the late 1960's when the US, and much of the world, was being split down generational lines, and when the Cold War was still going strong, was a pretty uplifting one.

Now for Star Wars. I saw that movie when it first came out in 1977. I was fourteen. I remember standing in line with my cousins, a line that went around the back of the movie theater. Once the lights went out and the movie started, I remember being impressed by the huge spaceship that started at the top of the screen and just glided across my sight. Then I saw the monster spaceship that was chasing it and firing on it, and I was completely blown away at the sheer size and detail of what I was seeing on the screen. I know this sort of thing is standard fare today, but back then this was something new and impressive. And then the characters like Darth Vader, and the story elements...I was floored. I loved it. Too bad I can't say the same for some of the sequels.

So that's my two cents on the matter. Now, to keep in the spirit of the "Books I'll never read" thread, I will say I have tried, then thrown down in disappointment, all books that are based on both Star Trek and Star Wars. It just isn't the same.

True. I tried a few DS9 and Voyager novels, and they felt fake - like bad fanfiction.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Yeah, I agree with you, Paul. Star Wars was awesome because it was new, and it had really cool (for then) speshul effects. But aside from that, it didn't really do it for me.

But, yeah, it will go down in film history as a icebreaker when it comes to Sci-fi, no?

Star Trek, on the other hand, can go on and on. It will continue to have new and exciting adventures, whereas Star Wars it's just the Jedi VS the Dark Side, and that can only go on for so long.

I know I dislike the SW/ST books too. They just don't hold the spirit of either.

I loved, absolutely adored the new Star Trek film. Did you?

PS: When threads go astray is the funnest. I'm still waiting for Nicholle to accept my challenge. She is so going to get her martini-ass kicked. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil banana banana banana drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Jewels wrote:
I loved, absolutely adored the new Star Trek film. Did you?

Actually, I haven't seen it yet. Unfortunately, I probably won't catch it until it's out on DVD. I have heard it was good, though.
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 8:43 pm

The movie was excellent -- best movie I've seen all year. And don't even get me started on Spock. Too hot for words.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 3:24 am

I'll probably never read any more Nicholas Sparks books. While The Notebook and A Walk to Remember had good moments, I felt like the author was just trying too hard. It was written in a style that was a bit melodramatic, and I could tell what would happen from the very beginning.

(Strangely enough, I preferred the movie version of A Walk to Remember to the book.)
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 3:44 pm

Magda wrote:
I'll probably never read any more Nicholas Sparks books. While The Notebook and A Walk to Remember had good moments, I felt like the author was just trying too hard. It was written in a style that was a bit melodramatic, and I could tell what would happen from the very beginning.

(Strangely enough, I preferred the movie version of A Walk to Remember to the book.)

Ah, yes, I thought that as well, too. It's like he was trying so hard to make readers cry in ALL of his books. His writing style is average.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Oh, Jane. Please. I quiver at the mention of Spock. Zachary Quinto ... whew.

Why is Spock on a ship? He should be like the galactic spokesperson for hotness! Razz

It's good, Paul. THE BEST, seriously. I loved the visual effects, which were not overdone but very impressive. The acting was crazily good. They WERE the characters, without the over-imitation of the the former actors.

Nicholas Sparks? He's okay. The best I can say for him. I loved the first one I read but as I read on, they seemed to get a little predictable. You change the names, add a couple new elements, and PRESTO! - a new book.
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 10:34 pm

Sorry about bumping a 3 month old discussion but I'm just going to add to it anyways. haha... That Star Trek movie was awesome. I've been watching it almost every day since it came out on dvd.

Back on topic:
I will never read another Nicholas Sparks novel again. When I was a youngster (those were the days...) I was obsessed with him because I loved The Notebook. After reading a few more of his novels, I realized that if you've read one, you've read all. I would never read another Sarah Dessen book. My sister had recommended her books to me and they were so boring. Same goes for Lord of the Rings. The movies were good so I tried to get into the books but I couldn't stand the endless descriptions.

Someone had mentioned Lolita before and I have yet to read that one but I really want to read it. I have an interest in books that have a disturbing feel to them.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm

denizenofevil wrote:
Sorry about bumping a 3 month old discussion but I'm just going to add to it anyways. haha... That Star Trek movie was awesome. I've been watching it almost every day since it came out on dvd.

DVD came in the mail yesterday. VBF and I spent the night watching it... seriously, Zachary Quinto is hot, but what about this little space ship he's shooting around in?! I couldn't stop laughing!
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 11:12 pm

DesertQueen wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:

DVD came in the mail yesterday. VBF and I spent the night watching it... seriously, Zachary Quinto is hot, but what about this little space ship he's shooting around in?! I couldn't stop laughing!

I wouldn't go so far as to say Zachary Quinto is hot (pointy ears and the strange eyebrows aren't so attractive to me) but he is my favorite character. haha... Before the movie, I had never seen anything of Star Trek so I have no idea what that ship is supposed to be. It kind of looks like one of those aliens from AVP.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 11:16 pm

denizenofevil wrote:
DesertQueen wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:

I wouldn't go so far as to say Zachary Quinto is hot (pointy ears and the strange eyebrows aren't so attractive to me) but he is my favorite character. haha... Before the movie, I had never seen anything of Star Trek so I have no idea what that ship is supposed to be. It kind of looks like one of those aliens from AVP.

Well, sure. Spock is not very exciting... but Zachary Quinto is Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 11:21 pm

DesertQueen wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:
DesertQueen wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:

Does this mean I can gush over the actress who plays Uhura? Razz
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Paul wrote:
DesertQueen wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:
DesertQueen wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:

Sure thing, Paul Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 12:14 pm

DesertQueen wrote:
Paul wrote:
DesertQueen wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:
DesertQueen wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:

Sure thing, Paul Very Happy

Uhura is interesting. She's not beautiful or even pretty in a conventional way, but her sculpted features provide a enormous attractiveness anyway.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 2:32 am

Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. Because as much as I love Twain's writing, in "Huckleberry Finn" I really wanted to slap Tom.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:56 am

Magda wrote:
Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. Because as much as I love Twain's writing, in "Huckleberry Finn" I really wanted to slap Tom.

Mark Twain is, for me, someone I have always hesitated to pick up. For some reason his style turned me right off, at least as far as the short works of his that I was forced to read in high school go. Yet I have a book of some of his collected works on my bookshelf. Hey, if I could finally crack open Doyle I suppose I can crack open Twain.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Magda wrote:

Is he one of those whiny types? Like Holden Caulfield or Faust? Those drive me mad.
Back to top Go down
Magda
Magda

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 pm

No, but he has these ridiculous, overly romantic ideas about how to do things, and he keeps putting Huck down for suggesting simpler ideas. He doesn't care that somebody's freedom is actually at stake. It's funny at first, but after a while it gets annoying.
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 5:19 am

Gee...I have a lot of books I don't ever want to touch. War and Peace is one of them. Gah. I don't think I need to explain that one. Other books I'll never touch are the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I've read the reviews on Amazon after I read the synopsis, and it just doesn't sound like something I could tolerate.

By the way, congratulatons on becoming a Partner!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 6:14 pm

I've tried "War and Peace", but after three pages, I lost track of who was who...
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Actually, I enjoyed War and Peace a great deal. It had some of the best characters I have ever run across. For me, it was only when Tolstoy meandered on his historical and sociological soapbox, which he did periodically near the end, that the story lost cohesion for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books you'll never read.   Books you'll never read. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Books you'll never read.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next