Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Doing good deeds.

Go down 
+2
Paul
Tourterelle
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:08 am

Aw! You guys are really overestimating what I do, and how I do it. But it's encouraging, nonetheless. We're back early because of reports of a new typhoon heading over to where we were.

So about the trip:

It was much more serious than the previous one, and I was able to glimpse a lot of the destruction the typhoon had wreaked. We met with many homeless men, women, and children, and tried to bring comfort and cheer to them and give them hope. Many were so optimistic they put me in awe, I wasn't able to understand how they could smile and thank us and call themselves lucky when they didn't have a thing in the world. They said God had blessed them because they were alive. I have several new heroes.

About the scenes of destruction, my fellow team member was able to get some amazing shots. (Thanks, Natalie!) I'll be posting some on Flickr or Photobucket in a couple of days. I'll provide a link. Thanks for your support, guys. Very much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru
Louisa

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:10 pm

Goodness, Lillian, my doing good deeds in my neighborhood pales in comparison to yours. I can understand why you haven't been writing to me. Razz You have my blessing.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:37 pm

Jewels wrote:
Off again, this time to a place in the mountains, again with the military ... but doing what the military can't do ... which is bringing comfort. Mainly, from what we've heard, the victims are suffering from shock and most likely post traumatic stress disorder.
Wish me well ... I'll be back sometime Friday, so maybe a post on Saturday.

Lillian, your courage and generosity are an inspiration to us all. You have my deepest respect. Please take care of yourself while you are doing these wonderful deeds.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Jewels wrote:
Off again, this time to a place in the mountains, again with the military ... but doing what the military can't do ... which is bringing comfort. Mainly, from what we've heard, the victims are suffering from shock and most likely post traumatic stress disorder.

Lillian, I officially admire you. Doing these things at your age, and with such good humour, and mature understanding really is something quite outstanding. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: And I'm off again....   Doing good deeds. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 1:53 pm

Back to top Go down

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 6:12 am

Queen Rhodantia wrote:

Your friend has a rather strange sense of humor. I can understand that people sometimes make inappropriate remarks due to stress or emotional upheavel, but that just seems like a weird thing to say. scratch Not very funny if you ask me. I think I'd be more disgusted than angry.

But I'm glad to hear that you will hopefully be making return trips to assist. People forget that it takes way longer than a couple weeks to recover from that level of tragedy.

Best of luck in all your ventures.

Thanks. I'm sure we could use luck. I'm rather disgusted too, it was very rude and insensitive to the people who have actually lost friends and family (and believe me, many have). I'm not sure what her problem was. She's not usually like that. Oh well.

We really want to go back, and it's very probable we will. Many times aid groups stay for the first month or so, and then forget all about it. These people need long-term help in the way of rebuilding their lives.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Doing good deeds. 1st_place

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 11:09 am

Jewels wrote:
Nolo is back home, and I have a rather embarrassing retraction of the 'dead bodies' comment. While it's true that there have been tragic deaths there, the comment of 'dead bodies floating everywhere' was a rather sick and distasteful joke made by a friend who had also gone up. I haven't entirely forgiven her yet, especially since the comment cost me a night or two of sleep, not to mention being highly insensitive.

Will is back home, and we're all healthy, thanks for your support.
We hope that this is only one of the trips we will make up to deliver aid. Follow-up visits are needed, since that's when other groups tend to slack off.
Thanks again.
-Lillian

Glad you're back. huuuug

Your friend has a rather strange sense of humor. I can understand that people sometimes make inappropriate remarks due to stress or emotional upheavel, but that just seems like a weird thing to say. scratch Not very funny if you ask me. I think I'd be more disgusted than angry.

But I'm glad to hear that you will hopefully be making return trips to assist. People forget that it takes way longer than a couple weeks to recover from that level of tragedy.

Best of luck in all your ventures.
Back to top Go down

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 1:55 am

Nolo is back home, and I have a rather embarrassing retraction of the 'dead bodies' comment. While it's true that there have been tragic deaths there, the comment of 'dead bodies floating everywhere' was a rather sick and distasteful joke made by a friend who had also gone up. I haven't entirely forgiven her yet, especially since the comment cost me a night or two of sleep, not to mention being highly insensitive.

Will is back home, and we're all healthy, thanks for your support.
We hope that this is only one of the trips we will make up to deliver aid. Follow-up visits are needed, since that's when other groups tend to slack off.
Thanks again.
-Lillian
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 11:58 pm

Jewels wrote:
Hey all,
You may be wondering what I'm doing back so early after promising to stay away for so long. Well I was away for some time, but getting badly sick there, I've had to come home early (big bummer). William, sorry, Nin-something is going with the rest of the team and some new additions to the mountains where they will be working with the military is the thick of things, also providing nighttime counseling to the workers, who are understaffed and under a lot of stress. It's quite dangerous I'm envious and concerned at the same time.

I'll be posting shortly some of our adventures, not the least of some of our team being able to shake hands with the president of Taiwan!
Damn, I wish I could've gone. It sounds hectic though. I've been texting a friend who's on the team. She says there are dead bodies floating everywhere.
Worried .... Please keep William in your thoughts.

You'd better believe your brother is in our thoughts. Even though your stay was cut short, what the two of you are doing is outstanding and worthy of the highest praise. I think I speak for the entire LC when I say we are very proud of the two of you. Come home safe, Nolo.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Jewels wrote:
Hey all,
You may be wondering what I'm doing back so early after promising to stay away for so long. Well I was away for some time, but getting badly sick there, I've had to come home early (big bummer). William, sorry, Nin-something is going with the rest of the team and some new additions to the mountains where they will be working with the military is the thick of things, also providing nighttime counseling to the workers, who are understaffed and under a lot of stress. It's quite dangerous I'm envious and concerned at the same time.

I'll be posting shortly some of our adventures, not the least of some of our team being able to shake hands with the president of Taiwan!
Damn, I wish I could've gone. It sounds hectic though. I've been texting a friend who's on the team. She says there are dead bodies floating everywhere.

Dead bodies floating around? I am full of admiration - there is not much that could make go there. I guess I'm a coward.
',
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 7:27 am

Hey all,

Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master
Jane

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 3:48 pm

I don't know anything about counseling, but I wish you luck. You're doing something very kind and generous. Hope to see you back here soon.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I cannot give you any advice, either, but I think that just the fact that you are doing this, making this effort and showing you care, is going to go a long way to easing the psychological distress of those unfortunate people. You, your family, and your friends are terrific people, Lilli. Even though we will miss you, don't worry about getting back to us in any hurry. This is much more important.

Take care. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 2:09 pm

I can't give any advice about counseling, but I wish I could. This sounds like a great thing you're doing, Lilli. Good luck.
Back to top Go down

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 1:24 pm

Hey all you denizens of LC,

I'm going to be gone for a week (all: Big deal. you go missing for months on end), even though having made a fresh commitment to post here more often. The reason? Check the news. The typhoon that rocked Taiwan has caused the south part to have some of the most severe flooding in 50 years. Me and my family and some other pals are teaming up to do volunteer relief work for refugees and villagers. The catch is that our type is going to be a little different. We're going to be doing mental/psychological aid, giving amateur therapy, as it were, to villagers in shock, trauma, etc. Please keep your thoughts with us for this coming week, because I have a feeling it's going to be no picnic. (Though I bet it will be incredibly fufilling). If I disappear for more than a week again, I intend to give you warning. Otherwise, I will try to stay and keep posting here.
Also, if any of you have any experience or training with counseling/therapy/psychology, I would appreciate tips. I don't know about you guys, but I, a 15 year old, know little or nothing about it. So I'd appreciate any tips I can get. I'll be leaving in 24 hours. Wish me luck!
Love you all,
Lillian huuuug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doing good deeds. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing good deeds.   Doing good deeds. Empty

Back to top Go down

Doing good deeds.
Page 1 of 1