Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Modern poetry vs. older poetry?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Modern poetry vs. older poetry? Empty
PostSubject: Modern poetry vs. older poetry?   Modern poetry vs. older poetry? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 8:45 pm

I was wondering. My teachers call me a rare exception, because I like most older poems, i.e. from centuries 16-19 better than 20th century poetry. I love T.S. Eliot, but that's about it - apart from that, a good old Shelley or Blake can tempt me much more.

What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Modern poetry vs. older poetry? 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: Modern poetry vs. older poetry?   Modern poetry vs. older poetry? EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 7:40 pm

I find myself much more attracted to the older poetry myself. Modern poetry seems too "mucked" with. No one can just sit down and write a nice story via the poetic form like Tennyson's "Lady of Shallot." anymore. Everyone seems to want their poetry to have some deeper meaning. It always seems to have to be about something.

Yes, I realize that most poems are written about something and many do have deeper meanings, but I find that they are more artfully hidden in older works. Perhaps this is because of the language used back when they were written. Perhaps this is because the poets were more skilled in their craft. Perhaps it is because I find a great deal of modern poetry to be written about the poet themself.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Modern poetry vs. older poetry?   Modern poetry vs. older poetry? EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 12:13 am

Rodent wrote:
Perhaps it is because I find a great deal of modern poetry to be written about the poet themself.

...which is exactly why I think that Walt Whitman should not be classified as a great American poet, simply because he has managed to write a few dozen pages about how freaking great he is.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Modern poetry vs. older poetry?   Modern poetry vs. older poetry? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 11:11 pm

Personally, I'm a bigger fan of older poetry. Although some of the older poems reflect an actual situation, it can be made universal. My most favorite genre of poetry would probably be epic poetry. I'm a huge fan of the Iliad, the Odyssey, the Aeneid, Beowulf, and Paradise Lost. It's a story being told, but has all of those poetic features.

All in all, I just find modern poetry too specific, if you will.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern poetry vs. older poetry?   Modern poetry vs. older poetry? Empty

Back to top Go down

Modern poetry vs. older poetry?
Page 1 of 1