Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Travel Writing once more :)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Travel Writing once more :) Empty
PostSubject: Travel Writing once more :)   Travel Writing once more :) EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 4:14 pm

So, I got my topic approved: I'll be writing my final thesis about British Women travelling in the Orient and Africa in the 18th and 19th century. Yay!

So far, so good. I've spent a fortune on primary sources (i.e. travelogues), and am now working my way through them. And here's the twist: Right now I am reading "Travels in Persia and Kurdistan" by Isabella Bird. Nothing against Ms Bird in principle, but that woman can't bloody write! She describes stuff. Landscapes. People. Landscapes again. The exact price of a horse in some tiny village between Baghdad and Teheran. Then landscapes for a change. Her whining dragoman. The oppression of women. Landscapes.

And that's it: She merely describes these things. She does not judge, she does not express any opinion except when things are wrong with herself. One place she lodges in is described as "not quite as handsome as we had been assured" - meaning they freaking had to shovel the snow out of her bed before she could lie down in it. But she does not say anything about it. She does not comment on anything, she merely states facts! It's driving me mad. I mean, there's this one scene in which Armenian women are allowed to sit on chairs and talk, and Moslem women in the very same room must sit on the floor and keep their mouths shut. And Ms Bird doesn't even say as much as "I was puzzled" or "I have problems understanding the customs in this place". She just changes the subject.

How am I going to write a paper about someone so absolutely indifferent to things? HOW? Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Travel Writing once more :)   Travel Writing once more :) EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 5:42 pm

Just describe all the pretty hills and valleys she saw. Why describe pertinent cultural modes in a travelogue when you have all those landscapes! lol!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Travel Writing once more :)   Travel Writing once more :) EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 11:14 am

Good news: Yesterday I read "Letters from the Orient" by Mary Wortley Montagu, and those actually make for good reading. It sort of feels like 18th century chicklit, set in Constantinople (and other places), and thankfully, Lady Montagu actually expresses feelings and judgments! Very Happy A definite recommendation for anyone interested in the nonfiction travelogue field.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Travel Writing once more :)   Travel Writing once more :) Empty

Back to top Go down

Travel Writing once more :)
Page 1 of 1