Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Modern ways of writing ...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Modern ways of writing ...  Empty
PostSubject: Modern ways of writing ...    Modern ways of writing ...  EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 1:55 am

Technology is changing the way we write. A lot. Obviously. But while most conveniences are obvious, (like typing, not writing) would you people care to tell me if you think that some of these newer 'novel writing inventions' are killing/helping writing in general?
Take the new "cell phone novel" idea, for example. (if you don't know what that is ... see below article) Having never read a cell phone novel, but deducing from the many articles I've read that it is usually another form of chick lit, I'm wondering if it's "writyn lyke dis lolx1" or is actually worth reading - as in well thought out and with a interesting plot. We all know that bestsellers and popular novels do not mean good writing, they just mean good ideas.
As far as this new (dare I say it? Fine) "get rich quick" method of writing novels, (as in, pumping out as many as three books in their latest best-selling never ending series) does that help or harm? I'm not saying that writing fast means writing bad. (God knows CS Lewis was prolific and incredible, to name one) But is it lessening our expectations?

What do you guys think? Does modern ways of writing help or harm writing in general?

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/02/10/2010-02-10_japans_latest_literary_craze__novels_written_by_cell_phone_report.html
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Modern ways of writing ...    Modern ways of writing ...  EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:53 pm

Technology changes. Proper writing and creative expression should not.

Technology is not the culprit. The increasing culture of impatience that is becoming global because certain technological gadgets emphasize speed over everything else is. We all crave instant gratification. We all want everything now. Which means that shortcuts are increasingly becoming acceptable. And that is why written sentences such as "OMG! Did u hr wht he sd 2dy?" is now, sadly, becoming the standard for many written forms of communication.

Of course, that wasn't really your question, was it, Lilli? Wink That was just a mini-rant, one all of you have heard from me before. I so like beating a dead horse.

Anyway, concerning novels, quantity does not always equal quality. But, that does not necessarily mean they cannot sit in the same room together. But as I mentioned, people want stuff NOW, so the challenge is keeping quality and genuine creativity in a medium that flashes before your eyes, in a culture that does not allow for relaxation and patience.

Does this lessen our expectations? God, I hope not. I think the classics will always be the standard of the written word, and, despite the medium with which the words are displayed, I think that readers and writers both will, if not exactly reach those lofty heights, at least give it a good shot. And, I believe, some writers now and in the future will succeed. Even if we do end up reading their works on an electronic screen instead of in the pages of an honest-to-God book.

I hope my answer made sense. I really do. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern ways of writing ...    Modern ways of writing ...  EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 1:13 pm

Oh, it did. Thanks for you opinion! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern ways of writing ...    Modern ways of writing ...  EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 6:47 am

I agree with Paul. Technology may change. But good writing does not. One good book is always going to be worth a thousand novels churned out very quickly in a row.

The reason that some books become classics and others do not is because classics are the ones that stand out from the crowd. For example, how many people know of "Varney the Vampyre" which was released shortly after Dracula and was little more than an attempt to cash-in on the genre. Anyone trying to find a Penguin Classics or Oxford University Press edition of Varney may be very disappointed. Yet in its day, the book was a best seller. It just didn't have what it takes to be remembered. The majority of books written specifically to be distributed electronically will inevitably suffer the same fate.
Back to top Go down
jocelynclaire

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Modern ways of writing ...    Modern ways of writing ...  EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 3:06 am

At least as early as the Victorians there has been a clear divide between "popular" and "literary" literature, though that divide seems to be graying. It is not enough to rely on the cannon to dictate that which is worthy of our reading time anymore- there are tons of incredible books that are being produced by writers from all walks of life that will never be cannonized. On the other hand, there are a billion books that are formulaic and mass produced for the soul purpose of generating revenue. Is the current state of affairs so different from the victorians? Probably only in the manner of cannon busting and ease of production, which aren't inherently good or bad.
Back to top Go down
http://holygpa.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern ways of writing ...    Modern ways of writing ...  Empty

Back to top Go down

Modern ways of writing ...
Page 1 of 1