Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Love stories?

Go down 
+6
Kelsey
Epiphany
Laura
denizenofevil
BeautyBlitz
Coffee Spoons
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Coffee Spoons
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Coffee Spoons

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:45 pm

What are some good (GOOD. i.e. well written) love stories?
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Love stories? 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:47 pm

The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon.
They are a historical type romance with a lot of action and drama.

The Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine
This one is a three way love triangle type that goes back in time. Really involved storyline. Great read.
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:49 pm

maybe it's just that i don't like love stories but i find it hard to find good romance novels. I did like some of Nicholas Sparks' novels but after a while, they got cliched and boring. It seems like all his books follow a formulaic pattern. If you can get past that however, The Notebook is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Well, I'd say "Pride and Prejudice" comes to mind first.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:07 pm

How strange. It never occurred to me to actually try reading that. haha... Time to go to the bookstore!
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:07 pm

Wuthering Heights. It's not a happy romance and the two characters who are in love, Cathy and Heathcliff, are absolutely vile human beings, but their passion saturates every page. It's definitely a different sort of book, and not your typical romance.

Anything by Jane Austen is bound to be good, though my favorite by her is Pride and Prejudice. If you start her, don't read Emma first. Emma is okay-- the character Emma is definitely memorable, but the plot is a bit thin and drags at times.
Back to top Go down
Coffee Spoons
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Coffee Spoons

Number of posts : 58

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:26 pm

I find it funny that you say that about Emma because it was the first Jane Austen novel I tried to read- and just as you said, the plot dragged on and I couldn't get into it. Ever since I've been slightly turned off Austen... time to try again!
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 1:02 am

Coffee Spoons wrote:
I find it funny that you say that about Emma because it was the first Jane Austen novel I tried to read- and just as you said, the plot dragged on and I couldn't get into it. Ever since I've been slightly turned off Austen... time to try again!

Yes, well, Emma's character is well developed, but the story isn't as fast paced as Austen's other novels are. It's probably my least favorite of Austen's work.

Another good romance is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. It's a sweet story. Another one I've heard is good is Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell, though I myself have never read it.
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 3:11 am

Being an avid Gone with the Wind fan, I must suggest it. Though, I must admit romance is not the key thought in Scarlett's head and it is not the key point in the story because it's about Scarlett, who thinks of nothing but herself. The main thing the reader is thinking about is the romance, however, making it a love story. There's enough of the other action and goings-on to keep you distracted from the romance at times, but it's always there, hidden. Scarlett never cares much for other human beings till the last few chapters, making it quite a ride for the reader. You read for nearly a thousand pages waiting for it to dawn on her, and well, you'll see.
I love it.
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 6:54 pm

I second The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon.

Actually, that's sort of the only recommendation I have. I don't tolerate love stories well. I've never been able to get into Jane Austen's work, for example. Of course it's been years since I read it and I might be able to now, but.. I liked The Outlanders for all it had going on as well as the romance. I still don't think I can read romance. This is probably because as far as love goes, I'm wildly skeptic. One of my friends is still stunned at how horrified I was when she asked if I ever wished love was like the movie- well, I can't remember what it was called, but it involved a Disney Princess scenario coming to life in New York City. I thought it was funny but not something I would see again, she watched it sixteen times and wanted to know if I wanted 'true love' like that.

(I don't think she quite got it when I exclaimed I'd rather be the knight, the dragon or the evil wizard rather than the princess. Especially the knight, he gets to Adventure).

But, I'm rambling. I would definitely suggest Diana Gabaldon, seeing as they're the only romance I've ever actually liked.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 9:02 am

If you like Jane Eyre try The Professer by Charlotte Bronte too.

I am reading novels by Mike Gayle, he writes from a guys view and makes me laugh out loud! Very Happy

I also liked Lady Chatterley's Lover by D H Lawrence.
Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 10:30 am

I'm not really a big fan of romance myself, but romance novels don't get much better as far as writing goes, than Jane Austin's novels. I've read Emma and am currently going through Pride and Prejudice. I've enjoyed both for its character development as well as its other pros, and recommend them to anyone who likes romance. Good luck. They are both filled with interesting, life like characters, wit, and other entertaining qualities. They have earned their status as classics.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 2:14 pm

Hmmm. Perhaps this might just be a little too classic-based (though I admire classic literature). Anyway, I allow myself to add some "lighter" chicklit to the list:

- Niamh Greene, Secret Diary of a Demented Housewife
- Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones' Diary
- Sophie Kinsella, Undomestic Goddess
- Jane Heller, Cha Cha Cha
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
ksotikoula
ksotikoula

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 5:42 pm

My favorite is Jane Eyre. It is the most vivid, intriguing and complicated love story I have read, with more than enough obstacles to overcome. The couple at a first glance is so dissimilar, but so well matched at the same time, while it often challenges our view of what is considered romantic. Part of its great strength is the combination of romantic love and sexuality and the its ability to create feelings so strong that overcome even the reader's logic and morality.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Love stories? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love stories?   Love stories? Empty

Back to top Go down

Love stories?
Page 1 of 1