Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Opinions on the changes to treehouse?

Go down 
+6
denizenofevil
Medusa
Laura
Tourterelle
Goldfish
BeautyBlitz
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Opinions on the changes to treehouse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 12:33 am

I agree with Aki. I think there is a difference between bashing and reviewing. I don't think the word "Twilight" or any mention of it should be banned; I think it's fine for us to discuss the literary problems with the book, and branching that out more, what makes a book "good" or "bad". If we are the "Literary Cabinet", we need to be able to discuss literature, and that includes the bad with the good. I also think that if a person asks a genuine question, it should be allowed. For instance, Pink asked in the Venting forum what makes girls like Edward so much. I think it's okay to talk about things like that, if the asker is genuinely curious. Like I said-- there is a difference between bashing and reviewing. To me, it all depends on the intent and meaning behind what is being said.
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 8:31 pm

I definitely like the changes made, and I think it's a shame anyone ever felt they had to leave. I can understand their reasons though. Hell, I largely agree with them, as I said in Arabesque's post- I just felt it was better to stick around and hope for everything to resolve and the forum to become the place it always had the potential to be.

I'm glad I did that, as the forum is becoming that place.

I actually haven't been on any writing forums before. I tend to stay away from Gaia's forums since I always run into the kind of person whose goal in life is to argue, the only way to win or make them stop is to hit them, and it's the internet so it's not going to happen. I never ventured into the writer's forum there in the interest of preserving my sanity.

This being the first writing forum I'm actually in, I really want to see how it grows and to be here for the place it can become- and is becoming.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Solveig wrote:
Welcome back, Zara, it was strange to get your goodbye-message, especially since you appeared to be very happy here, so I am really glad to see you return Smile

Now I'm firmly convinced that it was a one-day-only "hissy fit". I can't leave you guys. Everybody here is so amazing in their own way. I love all of you!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Welcome back, Zara, it was strange to get your goodbye-message, especially since you appeared to be very happy here, so I am really glad to see you return Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:21 pm

I'm glad you're back, Zara! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:21 pm

denizenofevil wrote:
Zara! You're back! cheers. The great thing about this place is that we're willing to listen to people's opinions and make a change and I'm really glad that you decided to give us another chance.

Of course, denizenofevil. It isn't fair to not give this awesome place a second chance. It's rather unfortunate that Kelsey and arabesque chose to leave, but y'all are awesome people and this place really is a haven for us. I'm glad to be back!
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Zara! You're back! cheers. The great thing about this place is that we're willing to listen to people's opinions and make a change and I'm really glad that you decided to give us another chance.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Opinions on the changes to treehouse? 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:13 pm

No hard feelings Zara.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

I'm not perfect, I've thrown more than my fair share of "hissy-fits" in my 25 years on this planet so I can't begrudge you yours.

Happy to have you back!

sunny
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:11 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
I love the changes made, Beauty.

Unfortunately, those who helped inspired them have ditched this forum. I understand why, but in all honesty, I'm frustrated and irritated that they couldn't even give it a chance. No one is perfect, and obviously there was going to be a fair amount of Twilight bashing and silly things like truces during the start of this forum, but it will become the Treehouse it was meant to be.

Besides, it has only been a few days since the Literary Cabinet was formed. Why couldn't they wait a bit longer and see what it is becoming?

It was just yesterday that I posted that I wanted to take a break, but not leave. I had concerns, and I'm sorry for hurting you and the other great users here.

I was surprised to see that action was taken within 24 hours of arabesque's, Kelsey's, and my post. I'm firmly convinced that this place will be amazing after all. I'm sorry for throwing a "hissy fit" yesterday. I'd especially like to apologize to Solveig. You really did have a great idea and it wasn't her fault for changing this place. Yeah, it's only been a few days and I have been very hypocritical. But now that we are all committed to intelligent-speak, I'm back (in only 12 hours...)

I love all of you too much to leave. So, I'll be a regular member again! Yay!
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:56 pm

Talkatoast wrote:
Solveig wrote:
Critique is not a part of the debate - I wouldn't want to be part of a place in which honest reviews and constructive criticism was forbidden. By bashing, I mean the things subsumed under "It's crap, redo the entire thing". Smile

We were debating about that on the Gaiaonline.com writer's forum. A stupid wannabe mod said stuff like that is okay. We were talking about pre-teen writers because someone had basically said that this pre-teen writer couldn't write worth of crap. And then a bunch of other people commenced to follow. Basically, this wannabe moderator said, "It's just a we-don't-like-your-crap comment. I don't have to criticize a pre-teen because pre-teens shouldn't be on here in the first place!"

Talk about serious bashing.

affraid affraid affraid

They actually SAID that? That is so mean! Seriously, I know myself that stuff you produce in your very young years is hardly comparable to Hemingway, but it is stuff that you can practice on, right? Geez. THAT is some serious bashing indeed.

I hope that dork didn't become a mod??
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:53 pm

denizenofevil wrote:
I don't know why but i'm really not too surprised arabesque wanted to leave. From the beginning, she assumed that there would be a lot of twilight related issues and I guess she was right but given that it's only been the first few days of the forum, she could have given it more of a chance like we all have chosen to. The people who left did have a point though I feel like I've been slapped in the face but I think the rest of us could pull together and make this work.

I agree, Denizenofevil (again), that we can pull together and make it work.Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:53 pm

Solveig wrote:
Critique is not a part of the debate - I wouldn't want to be part of a place in which honest reviews and constructive criticism was forbidden. By bashing, I mean the things subsumed under "It's crap, redo the entire thing". Smile

We were debating about that on the Gaiaonline.com writer's forum. A stupid wannabe mod said stuff like that is okay. We were talking about pre-teen writers because someone had basically said that this pre-teen writer couldn't write worth of crap. And then a bunch of other people commenced to follow. Basically, this wannabe moderator said, "It's just a we-don't-like-your-crap comment. I don't have to criticize a pre-teen because pre-teens shouldn't be on here in the first place!"

Talk about serious bashing.
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:47 pm

Back to top Go down
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Talkatoast

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:43 pm

I like the new changes, but I am disappointed that people didn't choose to give it a chance. I've been on loads of writing forums, and there are always flaws. Most writing forums I know of do have Twilight bashing threads, or just plain snobbery in general. I'm not saying it's right, but every writing forum has its kinks to work out. I just like smaller forums. Absolutewrite.com was a great place, but it attracted a lot of undeseriables. I can't say my honest-to-God opinion without someone feeling horribly offended. I also can't put out my knowledge of the writing world without someone telling me I'm wrong--those hardcore naysayers I don't like. I know I found a hardcore naysayer's blog, and this person actually had the audacity to say that you should never ever ever ever put a prologue in a novel. I was shocked.

I don't want this forum to turn into a complete sissy forum though like writerscafe.com where we go around saying that everyone's writing is nice. I also want to be able to voice by opinion about whether or not I like a book. There is a different between bashing and reviewing. I think we should still be able to express our opinions about Twilight, but in a more reviewing manner--meaning we try to see both good and bad. The same with any other books we bring up for discussion. There is a way to say why you don't like a book without bashing it.
Back to top Go down
http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:31 pm

denizenofevil wrote:
I feel like I've been slapped in the face

Join the club Very Happy

I agree, though, that we will and have to try and make it work. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:29 pm

I don't know why but i'm really not too surprised arabesque wanted to leave. From the beginning, she assumed that there would be a lot of twilight related issues and I guess she was right but given that it's only been the first few days of the forum, she could have given it more of a chance like we all have chosen to. The people who left did have a point though I feel like I've been slapped in the face but I think the rest of us could pull together and make this work.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:18 pm

I feel the same way, I feel that the changes were necessary and also hope no more members leave us. It's like losing a member of the family Sad

*note to Medusa*sorry to hear you are having family problems, I hope everything works itself out soon.
Back to top Go down
Medusa
Medusa

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:15 pm

I think those changes needed to be made, or it would have gotten out of control. I didn't come here to bash Twilight, I came to get away from it and find a peaceful place. I can't come here as often as I did at the beginning (family problems), but I do love the Treehouse.

I love you
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Nicholle, you're putting your finger into a fresh wound. We've been wondering about this all day, without coming up with many ideas. I believe that sometimes everything you do is wrong, and maybe this is one of these cases.

I just hope we won't lose any more members, now that Twilight bashing is banned. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 5:52 pm

I love the changes made, Beauty.

Unfortunately, those who helped inspired them have ditched this forum. I understand why, but in all honesty, I'm frustrated and irritated that they couldn't even give it a chance. No one is perfect, and obviously there was going to be a fair amount of Twilight bashing and silly things like truces during the start of this forum, but it will become the Treehouse it was meant to be.

Besides, it has only been a few days since the Literary Cabinet was formed. Why couldn't they wait a bit longer and see what it is becoming?
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 5:20 pm

BeautyBlitz wrote:
Now that some changes have been implimented I would like everyone's views on them.

It's sad what's happened to the forum and all of the people who have left. I do like the new rules; the Treehouse had potential. It still has potential and I think with the new rules, we'll reach that potential. I still like this Treehouse.
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

PostSubject: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Now that some changes have been implimented I would like everyone's views on them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on the changes to treehouse?   Opinions on the changes to treehouse? Empty

Back to top Go down

Opinions on the changes to treehouse?
Page 1 of 1