Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I had a pet spider named Charlotte

Go down 
+4
BeautyBlitz
Kelsey
GuardianSaiyoko
Medusa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Medusa
Medusa

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2008-12-03

I had a pet spider named Charlotte Empty
PostSubject: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 3:39 pm

She died when I was eight.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. Some of you may know me from Y!A as Medusa.

I'm thirteen and not nearly as well read as most people here, I am catching up though. English isn't my first language, so I hope you will excuse my poor grammar and spelling.

I'm more of a reader than a writer, math and history are my favorite subjects, even though I don't really get math. I just started reading Emma by Jane Austen today. I used have a kitten named Toto and a parakeet named Lucifer.

That pretty much sums me up. Like a Star @ heaven

Oh, and I want to thank Solveig for making this site.

farao study (I'm already abusing the smileys) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 3:54 pm

Heyla and welcome!

I sort of had a pet spider named Jake; I found him in my room and my little brother has always been arachnophobic so I wouldn't let anyone kill my spider. It kept my brother away.

It's Saiyoko from Y!A, as you may have figured out since I'm spectacularly unoriginal when choosing a name.

Enjoy our Treehouse haven!

(These smileys are ridiculously fun. flower sunny )
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Welcome to the Treehouse!   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 8:45 pm

Here we may hide away, without trolls and the like. We can make chat without being reported and have fun intellectual discussions. And use wicked awesome smileys. cherry

Hehe, it's great!
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : I had a pet spider named Charlotte 1st_place

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 8:47 pm

WELCOME MEDUSA

elephant
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi there, Medusa Smile I'm not a native speaker either, so we'll just be known as the "guys with the accent" Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:17 pm

Hey, Medusa!

Did you seriously have a pet spider named Charlotte? When I was little, my brother and I had an unnamed Asian beetle we kept in the piece of a board game. Oh yeah.

Anyways, welcome! Cool
Back to top Go down
Medusa
Medusa

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:24 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
Hey, Medusa!

Did you seriously have a pet spider named Charlotte? When I was little, my brother and I had an unnamed Asian beetle we kept in the piece of a board game. Oh yeah.

Anyways, welcome! Cool

Thanks. I found Charlotte in my grandmother's garden and took her home in an airplane. Good times. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Hey, Medusa!! Ooh, a pet spider. My sister is deathly afraid of spiders; seeing one makes her cry, and that being the case, I've always wanted to get one. My mom won't allow it, though.

Sorry about Charlotte.

English isn't my first language, either. And I would like to say I'm more of a writer than a reader, but I haven't been writing that long. I've been reading all of my life, though. Ever since I first learned English. I was obsessed, but my obsession has lessened. Unfortunately. I used to have a kitten named Patches and I have a parakeet named Pumpkin. He likes to hang onto everything, and when I go somewhere, he flies onto my shoulder and stays there.

History--as I said in the other post--isn't my favorite subject. However, I've always liked Math. I want to learn as much of it as I can. I'm hoping I'll be able to take in Calculus and that it won't nearly be as difficult as I've heard it is.

How's Emma? Is it a good book?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Emma is brilliant! Funny, insightful, and with a heroine that you can ridicule as much as you like, and then go and dream about Mr Knightley! I love you
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:12 pm

Funny? I like funny! I'll put that one on my never-ending reading list. Hopefully, it'll stay never-ending, because the day I reach the end of my reading list, I'll be depressed.
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 12:04 am

Hmmm, Emma's alright. Emma is definitely one of Austen's most well-developed characters, but I found the plot to be a bit too thin at times. It seemed to drag a bit. Now I understand why so many people told me not to read Emma first when I started Jane Austen.

Welcome, Medusa!
Your grammar isn't poor at all-- to the contrary, you type a lot more coherently than a lot of native-English speakers do.
Goldfish and Solveig-- I didn't know English was your guys' second language! English is my first language, and the second Latin (I know it's dead, but it's helped a lot with my English skills). I took Spanish for 2 years and didn't learn a single thing because I didn't have a very good teacher-- all we ever did was worksheets and he never explained anything to us.

What are your guys' native languages?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 12:09 am

Well, German Smile Which is why those buttons are still in German... I happen to be there, and the buttons refuse to cross the Atlantic Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Medusa
Medusa

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 1:56 am

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone. I love you

I just started on Emma and so far I'm enjoying it. Mr. Knightley is simply hilarious, I haven't laughed with a book in while. Arabic is my first language and I would say that Spanish is my second. It's easier for me to read in English than to write in it, I never seem to know where to use punctuation. I'm more of a reader than a writer, I wish it were the opposite.

Math is one of my favorite subjects, even though I'm not very good at it. In fact, I'm terrible at it. I love World History and I have a strong dislike for US History. Although, I think it's just the textbook that I hate.

farao
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:05 am

My native language is English. I took four years of Spanish in high school, and learned... well, very nearly nothing. Wait, I learned some neat wrestling moves and where to buy really spicy peppers. That's about it.

When I ran off to be a vet tech I ended up learning medical Latin, which if isn't counted as a second language really ought to be. It certainly felt like learning one.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
Medusa
Medusa

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:12 am

I've been thinking of studying Latin, as it has so many roots in English and other languages (I think). Is it very difficult to learn?
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:12 am

Arabic is your first language, Medusa? That's cool! I understand a little Arabic, but not a lot. My mom (most of my family) speaks it, but only when she's speaking to an Arab, or when she has to tell a relative something that has to do with us (like when she's about to give us a huge gift, but doesn't want us to know just yet) I pretend not to know what she's saying, but most times I can figure it out.

My first language is actually Swahili. You know "hakuna matata"? Yup. Swahili. I understand more than one language, but English and Swahili are the only two I speak. I want to learn a lot more: Italian, Spanish, even German, French (I've always wanted to learn French), and Greek.

My sister right now is learning Spanish; she walks around the house speaking Spanish and listens to a lot of Spanish music, over and over and over again. I've taken in a few things, so it's not all bad. Smile
Back to top Go down
Medusa
Medusa

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:28 am

Italian is easy once you learn Spanish, or so my mother says. My family from my father's side is Arab (Jordanian), my can't understand Arabic so it's "code-speak" for us. I can read in Arabic but I can't write very long paragraphs in it. I''ll have to find a French native to teach me French. I can not pronounce a...single...thing...in...French. What are some important words in Swahili? Like "books", "sleep", "quiet".

alien study cherry (I'm obsessed with the smileys)
Back to top Go down
Epiphany
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Epiphany

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 3:26 am

My chemistry teacher lived in Egypt farao for all of high school and speaks fluent Arabic. It's nifty. I wish I spoke cool languages like Swahili and Italian and Arabic and Chinese, but my school only offers Spanish, French (BLEGH), German, and Latin. Oh and Medusa (or whoever it was who asked about it, I can't remember, I'm too spacy), I LOVE my Latin class. It helps a lot with your English skills since so many English words come from Latin. Latin is weird though, because the word order isn't what's important, like in other languages; rather, it's the ending of the words that is important. Word order really doesn't matter in Latin-- you can have the adverb first, the verb last, and the subject in the middle, as long as the endings to the words are grammatically correct. Depending on what grammatical part of the sentence a word is (so, direct object, indirect object, subject, showing possession of something, adjective, etc), it will have a certain ending. For instance, saying, "Amo terram Romanorum" means, "I love the land of Rome", but saying "Romanus amavit terram" means "A Roman loved the land". And depending on whether or not the word is feminine, masculine, or neuter, the endings to the words change, and just as with many other languages, the past, present, imperfect, perfect, etc tense of verbs have different conjugation endings. Am I making any sense? So, yes, Latin can be a bit confusing and it's harder than most other languages (I'm only in Latin 1 and so far it's been pretty easy, but Latin 2 and 3 are both supposed to be killer classes), but the nice thing about it is that it's really consistent. There aren't many exceptions to the rules, whereas languages like French have hundreds of irregular verbs and more exceptions to the rule than words that actually follow the rule Wink. The grammar aspect of Latin has already helped me improve my writing a lot.
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 3:54 am

Medusa wrote:
Italian is easy once you learn Spanish, or so my mother says. My family from my father's side is Arab (Jordanian), my can't understand Arabic so it's "code-speak" for us. I can read in Arabic but I can't write very long paragraphs in it. I''ll have to find a French native to teach me French. I can not pronounce a...single...thing...in...French. What are some important words in Swahili? Like "books", "sleep", "quiet".

alien study cherry (I'm obsessed with the smileys)

Oh, I just remembered another language I'd love to learn. Hindi. I do watch Indian films, so I understand just a tiny bit.

Anyway, I realize that once I learn Spanish, Italian should be a piece of cake since a lot of the words are similar. I've always been obsessed with Italy and Italians; my mom says it's in my blood. Razz I wish I could read in Arabic, but I can't. I did try teaching myself Arabic and it's that effort I put in the reason as to why I understand as much as I do right now.

I can't pronounce a single thing in French either, but I've always loved Paris and when/if I go there, I want to go there and not seem totally like a tourist.

Books: Kitabu (kee-ta-bu) (which is singular and you'll notice, is very close to Arabic's: kitab. That is its root, actually.) Also, booku (boo-ku), which has its root in the English word.)

Sleep: This one's easy: lala. In a sentence it'd be: Ama lala. (a-mae la-la) It means: She's/he's asleep.

Quiet: Nyamaza. This one's a toughie for someone who's not a native speaker. You have to pronounce the N, the Y, and the A together to pronounce it correctly. It means: Be quiet. So it'd be: NYA-ma-za.
Back to top Go down
Goldfish
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 4:11 am

Epiphany wrote:
My chemistry teacher lived in Egypt farao for all of high school and speaks fluent Arabic. It's nifty. I wish I spoke cool languages like Swahili and Italian and Arabic and Chinese, but my school only offers Spanish, French (BLEGH), German, and Latin. Oh and Medusa (or whoever it was who asked about it, I can't remember, I'm too spacy), I LOVE my Latin class. It helps a lot with your English skills since so many English words come from Latin. Latin is weird though, because the word order isn't what's important, like in other languages; rather, it's the ending of the words that is important. Word order really doesn't matter in Latin-- you can have the adverb first, the verb last, and the subject in the middle, as long as the endings to the words are grammatically correct. Depending on what grammatical part of the sentence a word is (so, direct object, indirect object, subject, showing possession of something, adjective, etc), it will have a certain ending. For instance, saying, "Amo terram Romanorum" means, "I love the land of Rome", but saying "Romanus amavit terram" means "A Roman loved the land". And depending on whether or not the word is feminine, masculine, or neuter, the endings to the words change, and just as with many other languages, the past, present, imperfect, perfect, etc tense of verbs have different conjugation endings. Am I making any sense? So, yes, Latin can be a bit confusing and it's harder than most other languages (I'm only in Latin 1 and so far it's been pretty easy, but Latin 2 and 3 are both supposed to be killer classes), but the nice thing about it is that it's really consistent. There aren't many exceptions to the rules, whereas languages like French have hundreds of irregular verbs and more exceptions to the rule than words that actually follow the rule Wink. The grammar aspect of Latin has already helped me improve my writing a lot.

My mom's friend just recently returned from Egypt. She says it's lovely and recommends the country, not that I needed the recommendation; I'd love to travel everywhere.

Before I'd decided on being homeschooled, I thought about taking Latin once I went to high school, solely because not many people would be taking the class. It's a "dead" language, as some people like to call it. And it would help tremendously with learning more and more of the English language and where the words came from, stuff like that. I never knew that about Latin. Wow. Now that sounds nifty.

In Swahili, there are some words that change depending on what gender the person who's saying it is, but most of the words stay the same. But in Swahili there are many dialects. Unfortunately, my mom has mixed all of them together, then she's like "In this dialect, this means that," and our response is always "Well maybe you should've stuck to one dialect!" So, while we can go to another person's house who speaks Swahili, we'll be saying two different things to each other. That is the difficulty of African languages, some people have told me. You can walk a mile and it'll seem like you're in a completely different country because the language has already changed. And you also have to be careful, because while some things may be offensive in one dialect, it might be a friendly thing to say in another.

I love languages, though.
Back to top Go down
Medusa
Medusa

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks for taking the time to explain Latin to me, Epiphany. *hugs* I'm going to save that post for reference. I have an old Latin & Greek roots booklet that I should dig up. Is it weird that I find Latin romantic? Razz

I know a couple of words in Urdu, my friend is trying to teach me more, but I just don't get it. "Sleep" in Arabic sounds a lot like Nyamaza, but I'm not sure how to write out the pronunciation here. The very most that I can say in French is "Madam", and even that sounds strange coming from me. I have Paris as #3 on my "Places to Visit During My Life" list.

I love you Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I had a pet spider named Charlotte   I had a pet spider named Charlotte Empty

Back to top Go down

I had a pet spider named Charlotte
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Welcome :: Introduce yourselves here :)-
Jump to: