Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Short Stories

Go down 
+8
Laura
caring carer
Zara Mikazuki
Coffee Spoons
GuardianSaiyoko
denizenofevil
BeautyBlitz
Magda
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Magda
Magda

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 3:44 am

Since this forum is completely blank, I thought I'd add a topic to it. So...let's discuss short stories.

I personally love Edgar Allen Poe's stories; they just may be some of the scariest things that I have ever read. Particularly The Tell-Tale Heart; the narration was just so completly insane and spine-chilling!

I love you M I love you
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru
BeautyBlitz

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards : Short Stories 1st_place
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 10:04 am

Sorry, but since I am a Koontz fan I have to mention Strange Highways. It's an entire book of short stories. There were even some in there that I actually liked. I never really was a fan of short stories. I like to dive right in to what I am reading and that is hard to do when you have to get out 3 pages later.
Back to top Go down
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm also a fan of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories. Have any of you read The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst (can be found on internet)? It's one I would also recommend.
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Number of posts : 145

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 7:34 pm

My best friend started out a who-can-creep-out-the-other-the-most contest by having me read Guts by Chuck Palahniuk. (Seeing as I'm in vet med and can retaliate by greeting him with things like 'Hang on, I gotta check my sleeves for stray eyeballs, we're missing one," I'm winning by roughly five thousand points).

The story is the kind that makes you shudder, but it was good. I also really, really liked The Yellow Wallpaper, but only my twin out of everyone I know has read it (it's online guys, it's good).

Other than that, I really like retold fairy tales. Any retold fairy tales. The creepier the twist, the better. I have a couple of anthologies of these floating around somewhere, provided they're not lost in either the friend or family book circle at the moment.
Back to top Go down
https://home.comcast.net/~dragedatter/
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 7:41 pm

I read the Yellow Wallpaper too! The ending really freaked me out. I liked the original Grimm's fairy tales. They were far more gruesome than the now cleaned up Disney versions.
Back to top Go down
Coffee Spoons
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
Coffee Spoons

Number of posts : 58

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 9:20 pm

I love Edgar Allan Poe but I'm also partial to Truman Capote's short stories. There's something about his characters that I absolutely love. My favorite continues to be Breakfast at Tiffany's, to the point where I'm starting to think the movie ruined the book.
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 9:53 pm

denizenofevil wrote:
I read the Yellow Wallpaper too! The ending really freaked me out. I liked the original Grimm's fairy tales. They were far more gruesome than the now cleaned up Disney versions.

I laughed at the end, but my twin informs me that this is because I am a horrible person. (Med school has warped my sense of humour all out of recognition. When you know people that laugh at cryptorchid jokes you have probably hit the wall as far as strange,dark humour goes).

I wish Disney had never gotten its hands on any fairy tales at all. I liked a lot of Disney movies growing up, like The Lion King and Aladdin, but I always hated the way they portrayed princesses. I actually get angry watching Snow White. Plus as far as I'm concerned, Disney ruined Peter Pan. Mary Martin version all the way for me! Well, and Hook. And Finding Neverland. And the book, of course, and going to see the play. But no Disney.

I also liked a handful of Stephen King's short stories, which is odd since I don't particularly like his writing. I'm not sure why not, I just never get into it, with the exception of Firestarter which I loved.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 pm

I LOVED the Scarlet Ibis. It made me cry. Poor Doodle, poor boy. I loved that cute, sweet, innocent kid. But, I can sympathize with the narrator.

The Yellow Wallpaper was just scary. I was creeped out by this woman. She is a total nutcase. Yet I liked the story in a scary way.

Ever read A Rose for Emily? That was the weirest one that I can recall.

Disney. In general, I'm okay with the movies (the older animated ones of course. The modern stuff like HSM, Camp Rock, and Hannah Montana is pure crap). But most of them, that "okay" feeling is all. But there are a few that I adore, like Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, and Pochahontas (the sequel was stupid). In all of these, the female leads--Belle, Mulan, and Pochahontas--are strong, independent women who have such awesome personalities.
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 10:43 pm

Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
I LOVED the Scarlet Ibis. It made me cry. Poor Doodle, poor boy. I loved that cute, sweet, innocent kid. But, I can sympathize with the narrator.

The Yellow Wallpaper was just scary. I was creeped out by this woman. She is a total nutcase. Yet I liked the story in a scary way.

Ever read A Rose for Emily? That was the weirest one that I can recall.

Disney. In general, I'm okay with the movies (the older animated ones of course. The modern stuff like HSM, Camp Rock, and Hannah Montana is pure crap). But most of them, that "okay" feeling is all. But there are a few that I adore, like Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, and Pochahontas (the sequel was stupid). In all of these, the female leads--Belle, Mulan, and Pochahontas--are strong, independent women who have such awesome personalities.

I loved The Yellow Wallpaper because the woman was a nutcase. That was what got me into it.

Never read A Rose For Emily, but if it's weird I may have to remedy that!

Oh, I'm okay with some of their movies. I agree on the ones you said, and I actually love Mulan. I love Aladdin, too- I have a soft spot for thieves, and Jasmine at least tries to help through the whole thing. Plus it's one of the few Disney movies where I liked both sequels. I rewatched it recently and concluded I never gave Jasmine enough credit as a kid.

I've got a book full of James Herriot's short stories too, and I love that. It's really been fun to re-read it at different points during my veterinary education and see it in a slightly different way each time.
Back to top Go down
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
caring carer

Number of posts : 45

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 12:18 pm

i have recently read 20th century Ghosts by Joe Hill, Stephen King's son and I think the only thing to describe it was Weird! Don't get me wrong it was really good but some of the stories were really strange. I think my favourite was a take on Bram Stokers Dracula called Abraham's Boys.

Anyone else read it?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:18 pm

I love short stories. They are a nice instrument for teaching, especially if there is only one point you want to get at - such as when talking about immigration to the US, you could read a novel like "Joy Luck Club", or you could simply give your students a short story to the same effect, and within a much shorter time.

Also, short stories usually have a very dense use of literary devices, much like poems. In a novel, you have to assign entire chapters to look at one single device - in a short story, there is much more to be found in a much smaller space. That makes it easier for students such as mine to practise identifying these structures, before I let them try it with a longer text.

My favourite short story would be "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. Usually, my students read it, and do not notice anything, until I ask them to reread the last paragraph Smile And then we go ahead to search for the clues that this would be happening, and to talk about foreshadowing and such.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
denizenofevil
denizenofevil

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 6:59 pm

I read The Lottery too. It also greatly disturbed me though it took me a while to finally comprehend what the heck just happened. I was just left in shock.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:00 pm

That's why I like it so much. You are all safe and nice, and then... wham. It also teaches the class a lot about never trusting a narrator, no matter how soothing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GuardianSaiyoko
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie
GuardianSaiyoko

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:50 pm

I went and read The Lottery after seeing your comments. I have to say, I got suspicious around when Old Man Warner started going on about how other places had done away with the lottery. Now this could be because I'd seen your comments here, but in my experience those are usually the kinds of comments in the story that alert me to 'wait a minute, something's not right here.' I love reading stories like this because I'm always the one who ends up pointing out the creepy bits and foreshadowing to the rest of the class. Apparently I'm more suspicious than... everyone.

I really liked that story, I'm glad the forums pointed me towards it.
Back to top Go down
Russ
Russ

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-12-22

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 11:31 pm

I really love short stories. I used to hate reading them. I think that now I actually prefer them. Presently I'm reading "Just After Sunset" by Stephen King. How cleverly written they are.

I've written a few recently. It's more fun than it used to be. In fact I spent today writing one that actually turned out pretty good. Of course, I'll put it away for a week or so and write it again. I may change the ending (add to it, specifically). I think this one is a sure sale!
Back to top Go down
http://www.russellgmoore.com
Kelsey
Guru
Guru
Kelsey

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 5:34 am

I read "The Curious Tale of Benjamin Button" by F Scott Fitzgerald recently. It's good, but quite sad. It's not really action-packed, but it tells of his life. It's not incredibly specific, but more like a rough summary of Benjamin's life. I don't see how they're making a movie out of that, but I have this awful feeling that it's going to be "loosely based." Meaning, the title and some of the character names will be the same, with a shred of the plot dashed in. I heard that the movie always has an undertone of sadness, like the short story, but I hope that it's for the same reasons, and that they keep Ben's condition the same as it is in the story. I hate it when they change the entire premise, in this case Ben's condition of age, in a movie.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 3:48 pm

One of my favorite short stories is "An Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce. This often-imitated story has one of the first and most effective "twist" endings ever written.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 9:16 pm

Oh, I read that short story in one of my classes last semester. I liked it, although it was overly descriptive from what I remember.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru
Tourterelle

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Wasn't a Twilight Zone episode made of "An Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge" as well?
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:00 am

Kelsey wrote:
I read "The Curious Tale of Benjamin Button" by F Scott Fitzgerald recently. It's good, but quite sad. It's not really action-packed, but it tells of his life. It's not incredibly specific, but more like a rough summary of Benjamin's life. I don't see how they're making a movie out of that, but I have this awful feeling that it's going to be "loosely based." Meaning, the title and some of the character names will be the same, with a shred of the plot dashed in. I heard that the movie always has an undertone of sadness, like the short story, but I hope that it's for the same reasons, and that they keep Ben's condition the same as it is in the story. I hate it when they change the entire premise, in this case Ben's condition of age, in a movie.

I read that, too, and fell in love with it. I didn't think I would be a Fitzgerald fan one day (I mean, "Gatsby" is a great book, but not a pleasure read for me), but this short tale changed it all. It's simply marvellous.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru
Zara Mikazuki

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 11:15 pm

Really, Laura? You didn't enjoy Gatsby as a pleasure read? I found it to be both---a for-fun read and a meaningful classic. I liked it because it told an awesome story, but it wasn't esoteric or all that.

But if you liked "Benjamin Button", I'll have to add that to my gigantic To-Read list I have for this summer! Gosh! I don't know WHEN I'll even start attacking that list! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short Stories   Short Stories Empty

Back to top Go down

Short Stories
Page 1 of 1