Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Friend the Mercenary by James Brabazon

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

My Friend the Mercenary by James Brabazon Empty
PostSubject: My Friend the Mercenary by James Brabazon   My Friend the Mercenary by James Brabazon EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 9:15 pm

As this is generally the category for non-fiction, I am also currently reading the above title. It is a memoir written by Brabazon, a British journalist who, with the aid of a South African mercenary named Nick who acts as both his bodyguard and mentor, goes into Liberia in 2002 to film the warfare between the rebels and the Charles Taylor-led government. The violence and atrocities leave him emotionally scarred and physically weakened, but he emerges with his film, only to go back into Africa to film a military coup in Equatorial Guinea. This, however, falls apart, and the journalist and the mercenary find themselves facing the prospect of years of imprisonment in Black Beach, a notorious African prison.

I am about halfway through it, and while I am impressed with the overall reporting I am a bit surprised at how flat the writing is. Emotionally, I don't feel myself feeling Brabazon's travails along with him. We'll see if it picks up in the second half.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2011-07-19

My Friend the Mercenary by James Brabazon Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Friend the Mercenary by James Brabazon   My Friend the Mercenary by James Brabazon EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 9:54 pm

I eat up anything to do with Africa. Everything about it gets my interest, from the dark days of imperialism and the Congo Free State to the modern day Simon Mann/Equatorial Guinea coup d'etat. The overall idea of this book sounds great, but I have read a few flat and rather emotionless tales which often left me wondering if they went on these 'journeys' only to write and sell a book. Many are genuine and it does sound like James Brabazon is. I'd love to read it. Let me know how the second half goes. Smile
Back to top Go down

My Friend the Mercenary by James Brabazon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Other-
Jump to: