Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Greetings LC

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Janus
Janus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-21

Greetings LC Empty
PostSubject: Greetings LC   Greetings LC EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Hey there everyone, my name is Varun. I was born and live in America, and english is my primary language, although I have extensively studied French for 5 years and can speak Hindi with an unfortunately conspicuous American accent. I have been an avid reader of literature all my life (beginning of course with Harry Potter and eventually maturing into the classics ;-)), and have recently taken a great interest in writing as well. I do read the latest fads now and then, but my preference lies rather for classical literature; particularly Russian classics. I am a huge fan of the works of Dostoyevsky, my favorite and most cherished being Crime and Punishment. I also enjoy works encompassing socio-political themes, and works exploring the intricate elements of human nature.
I was informed about this forum by a close friend of mine, who recommended it to me due to both the ingenuity and ingratiating nature of its members. I enjoy literary discussions and debates, and hence I felt I should give this forum a shot.
I am looking forward to meeting and getting to know all of you better.
Take care and have a great day Smile
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Greetings LC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings LC   Greetings LC EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi there, Janus, and welcome to the LC! flower

Just let me ask - why did you choose "Janus" for your nickname? Complete with the corresponding avatar, no less! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Greetings LC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings LC   Greetings LC EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Welcome to the LC, Janus!

Take the time to look around and see what's what. Feel free to post early and often. If you have any questions just ask Laura or myself.

Crime and Punishment is also one of my favorites, as well.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Greetings LC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings LC   Greetings LC EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Hey Janus, Welcome aboard.

Very Happy

I'm quite new here myself; I've found the members to be very helpful with both book recommendations and advice on writing.

I hope you enjoy it here.
Back to top Go down

Greetings LC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings LC   Greetings LC EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 3:40 am

Hi Janus, welcome to LC.

Interesting username ... god with two faces. Any reason?
Back to top Go down
Janus
Janus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-21

Greetings LC Empty
PostSubject: To address questions regarding my username   Greetings LC EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Doesn't all of humanity live within the narrow confines of Society like the two-faced Janus? Showing the world their altruistic faces, while secretly enjoying and reveling in the sweet darkness innate to our very fibre? My chosen username merely serves as a form of expression to address these various logical aberrations (or "two-facedness") in Society which appear painfully conspicuous to one bound by its oppressive shackles, such as myself. What is existence other than a futile cesspool of two-faced people ensnared by the two-faced norm of a two-faced society in a two-faced world?

Back to top Go down
March Hare
March Hare

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Greetings LC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings LC   Greetings LC EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:29 am

Well, our diversity in members continues to grow.
As far as Russian literature goes, Crime and Punishment is staring at me disapprovingly (as it is unread) from its shelf. Is the Constance Garnett translation any good?

Your views on society are unique and interesting, if rather depressing. I may agree with some points (how some aspects of society have hypocrisy and multiple faces) and disagree with other points. However, the last thing I want is a debate about that Wink.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Greetings LC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings LC   Greetings LC Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings LC
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Welcome :: Introduce yourselves here :)-
Jump to: