Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

writers who don't get mentioned ENOUGH??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
violet
violet

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-05-16

writers who don't get mentioned ENOUGH?? Empty
PostSubject: writers who don't get mentioned ENOUGH??   writers who don't get mentioned ENOUGH?? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 5:27 pm

which authors do you think are not discussed enough??

when people discuss books, its generally current authors/books or 'classics'- dickens, austin etc. but there are a wealth of authors who fall into the cracks, and since these are the books i read... I never read classics, and rarely modern books. Its a bit sad not ever get to rave...
so- whom do you think is underrated, forgotten, or just in need of a pick me up?

my suggestions, off the top of my head....

e.m delafield, 30s writer of domestic life in britian- very funny, very sad too. Ive made her sound dreadful, bt shes ace.

john wyndham- natural successor to hg wells- i re-read his work yearly. more reliable than wells, too- who's a bit dull, sometimes.

agatha christie- most people will have read one, but i think she's really under valued as 'proper' author because of her sheer output. her plots are renowned, but the rest is forgotten- characterisation is often excellent too, her 1920s books rival wodehouse and waugh (whom i also love) for capturing the Bright Young Things, shes funny too, and she's one of the few authors who can write equally well as male or female first person- unlike eg- nick hornby, anne tyler (who's seemingly WOEFUL- though this based only on reading one book).

evelyn smith- 1920s schoolgirls author. i love angela brazil, of the same era and genre, but smith's writing is- wow- incredible. i can recall sentences, passages with rare ease. beautiful prose, filled with unheard of teen angst for the time- hiding in bracken reading books, or not wanting to enter the rocking green of the cold swimming pool.
an additional plus is that most of her books i have as beautiful clothbound hardbacks, with gorgeous two or three colour designs to the front- like this-

http://www.ioba.org/newsletter/archive/9%283%29/images/profiles2goldenimage4.jpg
pirat
Back to top Go down
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

writers who don't get mentioned ENOUGH?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: writers who don't get mentioned ENOUGH??   writers who don't get mentioned ENOUGH?? EmptyTue May 17, 2011 12:08 am

Good question. I will have to think about this.
Back to top Go down

writers who don't get mentioned ENOUGH??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Other-
Jump to: