Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to be British Collection

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

How to be British Collection Empty
PostSubject: How to be British Collection   How to be British Collection EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Yesterday, a new book box arrived from Amazon, including a wonderful little book full of cartoons entitled "How to be British Collection". I read it in one sitting, perhaps not surprisingly, since there isn't much text.

The cartoons, however, are wonderful. They are loving depictions of British peculiarities, witty and sharp, but very warm-hearted at the same time. Each double page has a text on the left page which describes a particular British custom or specialty (topics include language, the Tube, tea, politeness etc.), and a drawing on the right page. I'd love to post some of the cartoons, but the publishers explicitly forbid readers to do so.

It also proves the literary value of cartoon books, which I personally never doubted, but as you know, there are people who do Smile

Dou you know any other books like this one that you can recommend? Also, do you agree with me on the literary-value-argument?

Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: How to be British Collection   How to be British Collection EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:57 am

I agree wholeheartedly on the literary-value opinions you expressed. I find that literature can be expressed in many forms - whether they be graphic novels, comics, or other things.

For me, the two cartoon books that will always hold my heart in regards to insight and humor are "Peanuts" and "Calvin and Hobbess", but that's just me.
If you're looking for some story-based cartoon books, check out the following:

The Phoenix Requiem - graphic novel

The Wormworld Saga
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin
Laura

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: How to be British Collection   How to be British Collection EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:58 pm

Lillian, I don't think anyone in their right mind can doubt the nearly unlimited value of the Peanuts Smile If you like them, be sure to check out Mafalda by Argentinian cartoonist Quino. It addresses the same issues, but with a more adult-like insight.
Back to top Go down
https://literarycabinet.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to be British Collection   How to be British Collection Empty

Back to top Go down

How to be British Collection
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Other-
Jump to: