Literary Cabinet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paul
Admin
Paul

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters Empty
PostSubject: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters   Fingersmith by Sarah Waters EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 5:51 pm

This is an interesting and worthwhile novel, set in mid-19th century England, involving two young women, one an heiress and one a thief (aka "fingersmith"). They are brought together by a rogue who is known only as Gentleman, who arranges for the thief, Susan, to be a maid for the heiress, Maud. Susan's job is to help convince Maud to run away and marry Gentleman, who poses as a well-bred man named Richard Rivers to fool the heiress and her uncle, the master of the house. Gentleman and Susan's plot is that, once Maud is legally married to "Richard Rivers", then she will be committed to a madhouse, and Susan will get a share of the large inheritance that is expected to come from the marriage.

But things are not what they seem. Not anywhere. There are a couple of very nice twists here.

The novel is very well-written, and even though Dickens is an obvious influence none of that author's ponderous style is here. There is also a good amount of profanity and sexuality (in a way the reader may not expect) that further separates this from Dickens. But there is good, honest emotion here, and the characters are very well developed. The dialogue puts you right into the story.

Very much recommended.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters   Fingersmith by Sarah Waters EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 7:43 am

Thanks, Paul. I've been searching for an adventure story for awhile. I'll definitely take a look at this. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters   Fingersmith by Sarah Waters EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 10:30 am

I read this one a while back, loved it. I thought that it was very much influenced by Dickens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters   Fingersmith by Sarah Waters Empty

Back to top Go down

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Review section-
Jump to: